Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2003 3:56:39 PM EDT
Anybody got any tricks for taking the slop out of a set of M4 handguards?I thought I read somewhere that JB weld would work but where do you put it ,around the front lip of handguards or in the square front notches?They are not real sloppy just a little up and down play and a little sloppiness when you twist them.If I fill the front cuts and then fit them with a file it seems as though it would work.
                      thanks,[:\]

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My Colt M4's were a bit loose like you're describing... I used some rubber from a bicycle inner tube in the handguard cap to take care of the slop...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Fill both handgards with JB Weld and put them back on.  ROCK SOLID!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Fill both handgards with JB Weld and put them back on.  ROCK SOLID!
View Quote

I hope you are joking. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
[:D]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Darkstar,thanks for the tip!I put a narrow strip of rubber between the nose of my lower handguard and the handguard cap.The handguards went in a little tight ,but I got them in.They are now solid as hell!No play whatsoever.Anybody with loose handguards ya gotta try this it works like a charm.
                       Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I am interested in this..my handguards are a little loose..Is it possible anyone could post some pics on where exactly it should go...I just want to be certain...Thanks
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Guys, I've posted my JB Weld remedy before, but I'll go over it again... real simple, actually.

Just apply a thin bead of JB Weld (width wise) across the front tabs of one half of the handguards (doing this to both halves will make them TOO TIGHT & damn near impossible to install).

When dry, install the modified half first & then attempt to seat the other half. If it fits, it will be super snug & you are good to go!

If it won't fit however, you need to LIGHTLY sand down the JB Weld & then check the fit again. Repeat this process until both halves fit together.

That's about it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Use a thin bead of GE black high temp silcone, the type used in place of gaskets on engines.

Put some in the groove where the teeth of the barrel nut will engage, a little dab on the front tang, and a tiny bead on each side lip.

Assemble, and do not wipe any oozing.  Let it dry like that, then the oozed bead will peel right off.  Otherwise you smear it all over.

This really firms up the handguard on any AR.

Next time you disassemble the rifle for a thorough cleaning you won't have any problem peeling the handguards off.  You can easily scrape off the silicone prior to redoing the whole thing.

While we are making the rifle more solid, quieter, place a black nylon Ty-wrap around the base of the front sling swivel.  This will take up slop and firm that up, too.

Now give her a good shake and listen to what you don't hear.

Shhhhh!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top