Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 10:17:08 PM EDT
I don't know, it might just be me. But I really dislike buying a previously owned firearm. In order for me to keep it, it has to be new, otherwise I end up selling it usually.
Anybody else have this problem/pet peeve?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Not at all.  Half of mine are used.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]
That's weird,new guns turn me off.Ilike something with some experience and history behind it.And cheaper.too.LOL
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the arf in a fairly new unabused condition. Other than that there aren’t too many new guns I would care to have.

Most of the stuff I care about is older or vintage.

Old WWI and WWII 03s and O3A3s and Garands all have to be vintage for me. Wouldn’t catch me buying one of those new SA Inc Garand ripoffs.

Old Winchester lever guns (still need a ’76), pre-64 bolt rifles, and Smith & Wesson revolvers. There’s nothing like em.

The AKs, M14s and FALs I’ll have built with new and surplus parts, don’t know if that counts as a new gun or not.

I guess I’m just old school, hey don’t build them like they used to, and I just don’t really see a whole lot that is currently being built that I’d want. Say for an SR-15 Match rifle and an Accuracy International Super Magnum.

-J
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I buy used guns quite frequently.

Used guns are great because you can save some dough.

New guns are great because you can be pretty sure no one has put a thousand rounds through it before the first cleaning and then lubed it with Crisco or candle wax.

Bottom line- guns are great. Inspect before buying, strip and clean thoroughly.

My new upper will be coming straight from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
... You mean like prebans? Come on man, it's not like used underwear.

...  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have any used guns send them to me. I will gladly take them.[:D]

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no problem buying used guns.  About half of mine were used.  Of those I knew most of the people selling the guns so I knew what kind of care went into them.

One other cool thing about buying from an individual is no paperwork.  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:49:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could find used guns that I want. All the ones I want seem to be only available new. I'd like to save some $$$ over new ones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#12]
 If I neglected used weapons I canb't begin to think of all of the awesome pieces my collection would be missing.  Many of those same pieces were financed by selling used guns.  Have I been burned before?  Once or twice...but considering the wonderful toys that I have now...it was worth the experience.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer used guns; they're cheaper and usually have the bugs worked out of them.  Cars are a different matter; it's harder to tell how badly they've been abused.  Guns, though, you can usually give a once-over and tell the condition.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know, it might just be me. But I really dislike buying a previously owned firearm. In order for me to keep it, it has to be new, otherwise I end up selling it usually.
Anybody else have this problem/pet peeve?
View Quote

Fire your new gun once and its a used gun from then on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't like used guns or used cars. But I do make exceptions,  like if I found a good condition USGI M1 Garand I'd buy it, they just don't make them like they used to. I wouldn't make exceptions for used cars unless  I had to.      
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't have my Winchester Garand, my Inland M1 Carbine, or my Remington 1903A3 if I only bought new guns!

I also wouldn't have my pre-ban Oly, although I've had the receiver re-built and put on a new upper and collapsable stock, so that's like a new gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I own more "used" guns than "new" ones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Unused for me too.  Firearms as with automobiles.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#19]
More used rifles and pistols (US Spanish-American War, WW1, and WW2, British WW1 and WW2,  and John Browning designs made when he was still alive like Winchester '92, '97, & '02) than new.

I like older trucks too. A side effect of not financing a car is more gun money!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#20]
[b]NO[/b]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
It depends on what kind of gun I am looking for.

I do borrow other folks guns to shoot and they are used.

CRC
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Let’s see…

My Mac 11 was NIB.  It is a better shooter than some other pistols I’ve borrowed at the range.  My M16A1 was second hand from a PD.  While I don’t expect it to shoot ground hogs at 6,000 yards, I almost drool while on Rock & Roll.  It is Very accurate when on auto fire.
My Glock 17 was second hand and shoots like it was banned in CA.  But my Walther PPK was factory fresh but is not as accurate.
My Remington .223 ADL/BDL was also factory fresh and shoots minute and sub-minute groups.  But my Remington .308 PSS was second hand.  And the only time IT doesn’t shoot minute groups is when I foul up myself.

What is good and bad about buying used guns?  Good, the price is going to be lower and the firearm can be a piece of history.  And if you’re into Class III shooting, there is almost no way you can buy a firearm that is straight from the factory.  Just how many Mini-Uzi’s are left?
Bad?  The prior owner could have been a partial to complete putz.  My PPS was incredibly filthy.  The bore and the bolt were covered with grime.  And I’m not talking about preservatives either.  My M16A1 was clean on the outside.  But the bore had an ridiculous amount of copper fouling throughout.  The first chance I get I’m going to take it to a gunsmith with a borescope.  If it’s as worn out as I think it may be, the barrel will be replaced; maybe the entire upper.
But a used firearm can be a potential treasure to somebody who know what to do.  Many people build rifles around here.  Taking a piece of junk and reworking it into something worth owning can be rewarding.

And then there is the Preban Bushmaster I bought a few years ago.  It was second hand.  The previous owner bought it as a kit.  He didn’t do too good a job on it.  It stank.  I often got double and occasionally triple fires from one single pull.  Brought it in to a Good gunsmith.  It shot very nice after that.  But I don’t regret selling it to help finance my M16.  My M16 shoots better than the Bushmaster ever did.  It makes for a good argument over buying second hand over second hand.  If the Bushy hadn’t of been a kit I have no doubt my experience with them would be better.
I’m planning additional uppers for my M16.  And because of my experience with Bushmaster, they are at the front of the pack for either an 11 inch or 24 inch A2 upper.

If only they made 9mm uppers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I think there is nothing wrong with an "experienced" firearm, as long as it was used and not abused. Of all of my guns, only 2 were purchased new.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What!!??[:o]

This carbine could have been used defending the british empire in WWII (ok maybe it was post war production, I have not checked as it's more cool this way) and arguably with it's slick action was the height of the bolt action fighting gun and I got one for what some guys spend on beer in a month or two.

View Quote

Hmmmmmmm......$50 bucks seems really low for two months worth.........maybe I should shop around......[:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top