BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/5/2003 9:08:35 AM EDT
Take it for what its worth, 8 rounds bear drops down with in 40 yards. Got this from one of my member.

TG
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe that's a .458 Socom upper?....[:D]  Just kidding.  Interesting experiment, that's a big bear so I'm happy for him to do the experimenting and not me!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice license plate
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#3]
What ammunition was used?  Where on the bear were the shots located?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Take it for what its worth, 8 rounds bear drops down with in 40 yards.
TG
View Quote

What bonehead decided to go bear hunting with a .223?  I've got nothing against hunting, but I have something against the damn thing suffering.  If you're hunting with the right equipment and you're just a crappy shot, that's one thing, but bear hunting with a .223 is just asinine!  You're pretty much guaranteeing that the thing is going to suffer.  Kind of like if someone was going to hunt you with a .22LR.  Probably wouldn't kill you with the first shot, but 7 more ought to do it...

If you have to use 8 rounds to kill something, you ain't doing it right.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Agree with above
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope that guy was hunting for something else and HAD to shoot the bear with .223.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep looking at that bear and, I could be wrong, but behind the head (the body) looks a little flat.  Like it might be a bearskin rug ruffled up.

More information is needed....
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
[:O] Not cool at all.  Use the right tools for the job, not a Bushy Dissipator.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Ridge that is what I was thinking when I'd seen this picture.

Maybe someone using it as a prop or skinned the bear, but must have done a very neat job of it.

Dont know.

TG
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#10]
[bs]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
the first thing i noticed was the FLAT look of the bears body .. im not sure thats real and look close at that gus upper is that a DISSAPATOR upper? there is barely a barrell past the front site?

humm

[bs]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope he used the meat for something or plans on wearing the bears pelt, as I cannot see hunting just for sport. Its cruel to kill animals that way.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Got this from one of my member.
View Quote

Heh, heh, he said "member." Heh, heh.

Actually I think that it came from the other end.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
WTF????????????????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought the same thing. It looks just like a bear rug. I second that we need more info.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]
All that hot air wouldn't hold it up so they had to use cinderblocks. Nice try...
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually, that doesn't look all that big for a Griz. I'd guess maybe in the four to five hundred pound range. They get a helluva lot bigger than that. The bear was "caped" out for transport.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Actually, that doesn't look all that big for a Griz. I'd guess maybe in the four to five hundred pound range. They get a helluva lot bigger than that. The bear was "caped" out for transport.
View Quote

500 lbs is what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The bear was "caped" out for transport.
View Quote

Okay, that makes sense.

But on the other hand.  I've produced the same kind of damage using 45gr HP .223 on ground squirrels. I suspect the same thing happened here.  One shot with the Winchester Walmart 45 gr hps and it turned the Bear inside-out (the other 7 were just for good measure) [LOL]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Texasgunman, Were you out bear hunting? Were you out plinking. When out hunting something else did the bear come into range and you couldn't resist? Was the bear about to get in your ass? The last question is the only reason to kill a bear with a .223. For what it's worth.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen dogs bigger than that cub.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#22]
B.S.

Bear Skin
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn! It took me a whole 30 round mag to drop that last bearskin rug I shot. I MUST be doing something wrong...
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok. I’m no expert but, anytime I load a deer in to the truck I get some blood on the bed.
Where is the blood man? No I’m not that gory, Bear was shot 8 times and no blood. Yeah right.
I have to say this. Nice rug.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#25]
ya, what a sick asshole!!!     use the proper round jackass!

LittleJacek
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take it for what its worth, 8 rounds bear drops down with in 40 yards.
TG
View Quote

What bonehead decided to go bear hunting with a .223?  I've got nothing against hunting, but I have something against the damn thing suffering.  If you're hunting with the right equipment and you're just a crappy shot, that's one thing, but bear hunting with a .223 is just asinine!  You're pretty much guaranteeing that the thing is going to suffer.  Kind of like if someone was going to hunt you with a .22LR.  Probably wouldn't kill you with the first shot, but 7 more ought to do it...

If you have to use 8 rounds to kill something, you ain't doing it right.
View Quote

agreed... 8 shots is ridiculous
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#27]
It wasnt  me [:D]  I agree it is ridiculous to use 223 or any small calibor rifle on bear.
I just posted this  here as a show & tell, also to see what you guys thought of the picture, it looked phony to me.

TG
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok i've also heard it's best to get the story from the horse's mouth. So here it is:
I set out hunting that morning (31 oct) the last day of gun season on the road system for deer. I climbed up onto a hill a couple of ridges off of the road where i had good viewing area. I sat there for about 20 minutes before a buck popped up in front of me about 10 feet away. I slowly clicked the safety off and the deer decided to walk down the hill i was on and up the next one. I stood up slowly and fired one 50 gr blitz king into him. I started using these round for deer up here after i witnessed a buddy of mine drop a buck from about 120 yds in 8 seconds with one shot. Anyways, the deer made it to the top of the second hill and over the back side of it. I got up went down my hill up the next and spoted him on the edge of some adlers. I fired another round into to finish the job. After that shot i saw the 7 foot brownie on the other side of the alders (bout 100 yds) heading up a steep hill and i had my bear tag on me so i took a knee surveyed the area for cubs and fired two rounds into him when he was walking and another when he paused at the hill top. I following up the hill and saw him in a drainage (ravine) i watched him for a bit and he was moving slow and stumbling. I catch my breath a fired again and watched him spin around in circles growling. He seemed to be hurt bad at this point cause he was rolling down the drainage every other step. I figured i would make a wide circle and hit the bottom of the drainage and wiat for him. When i got down there he spotted me and proceeded to walk back up the drainage. I fired 4 rounds into from the bottom of the drainage. I checked my mag and had only 2 rds left 1 in the gun and 1 in the mag. I walked up to where i last saw him and found a massive blood trail. I decided to go get help and a bigger gun. My buddy wasn't home so i left a note and told him where i was. I grabbed my 30.06 from the house and headed back out. After following the blood trail a bit i heard my buddy yelling for me. We found each other and got back on the blood trail, which was getting hard to see. We were crawling on this bear trail about 500 yds following blood when we smelled an awful stence. Like salmon and crap. We stood up and looked around for a bit then i spotted him on the other side of the drainage. I kept sight of him from where we were and my buddy slid down and climbed up the other side with his .44 revolver. When he said it was dead i came over and we skinned him out and left. Since i didn't have my AR when we found him i don't have any pics with it before we skiined it out.
So it's not a rug for those that were wondering.
And that my friends as paul harvey says, Is the rest of the story. For all those interested, i've got more pics just let me know and i'll e-mail them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#29]
So your allowed to hunt with 10 round magazines in Alaska isnt that illegal?  Most other states are 5 rounds.  

By the way dude, what if the bear had took off after the first two shots? Then what? thats bullshit man.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I actually had a 30 round mag but i only put a few rounds in it that day for my deer. It's not illegal here. There is also no minimum caliber size either just no rim fires. You could "what if?" this situation all day i just wanted to post the facts. You don't need a cannon to kill something. Call it b.s. call it ridiculous, call it what you want but it is possible cause i accomplished it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#31]
This is probably how people would react if you shot a Bigfoot. "Your a murderer man!" Instead of the proof that bigfoot exists.

Look, people hunt bears with bows and arrows and many other large game. That is no more humane and irresponsible than using a .223.

Quoted:
So your allowed to hunt with 10 round magazines in Alaska isnt that illegal?  Most other states are 5 rounds.  
View Quote

All state laws are different. Some allow 5rds only some don't care if you use a 100rd drum. So don't spout off about that before you check the regs. I would suspect AK is leaning toward the 100 rd drum.

And finally I don't care if you, I, or the fricken Lorax has a moral dilema with this guy taking out that Bear. The fact is, it was done(if all this is true), when most people on these boards said it was impossible.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey thanks ridge! Like i said i didn't intentionally go bear hunting with the AR i was just in the right place,with a bear tag, at the right time. Been hunting one of these for 4 yrs now and it's the first one i've seen, in a legal hunting area, with my tag, during the 35 day season, without cubs, so i took the oppurtunity. It worked out for me. It's a once in a lifetime animal for me. I'll never take another one. Me and three friends are going on a fly out deer hunt on the 8th for a few days. Two of us are bringing our AR's so hopfully we'll have some blacktail pics for you guys.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#33]
OK so what I do agree you should have used a bigger caliber, but it's no different then letting a Arrow slowly kill a bear while it bleeds to death. Anyhow the only thing I have a problem with when you say, "I skinned him out and left", did you take the meat or just the skin? If you just too the skin that's not cool that animal died for nothing, but I could be jumping to conclusions.

Jerad
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#34]
In alaska you're not required to take brown bear meat. I had a friend take some home because he felt bad killing something just for the hide and tried to cook it up. He said it was the nastiest thing he's ever tried, he said his dog wouldn't even eat it. Because of all the salmon the bears eat, the meat is unedible. These are trophy animals and you can only take one every 4 hunting years. I'm only getting one in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#35]
That 50gr Blitzking didn't do so well on the deer.  And I wouldn't have expected it to.

I recommend a heavier load.  Preferably the 55gr or 64gr. powerpoint.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Take it for what its worth, 8 rounds bear drops down with in 40 yards. Got this from one of my member.

[IMG]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/97827/1.jpg[/IMG]

TG
View Quote

NICE!!!  Were you Bait sitting or hunting with Hounds?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OK so what I do agree you should have used a bigger caliber, but it's no different then letting a Arrow slowly kill a bear while it bleeds to death. Anyhow the only thing I have a problem with when you say, "I skinned him out and left", did you take the meat or just the skin? If you just too the skin that's not cool that animal died for nothing, but I could be jumping to conclusions.

Jerad
View Quote

You think people go to Alaska and Montana to hunt animal for food?? [rolleyes]

I personally would only hunt if I needed to eat, and would never kill a Bear unless I was defending my life.[b]But that's my personal feeling, I don't expect everyone else to share the same views[/b].

But many many other people do this, it's been going on for many years.
That is usually what hunting is all about (trophies). There are government officials that figure out how much game can be hunted to control the animal populations and make money for the state. That's the way it is. Don't worry the bear will not go to waste. The are many other furry little creatures that will enjoy the meal.

Have we all become so feminized?

I am the LLLLorraxxx I speak for the treeess.

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:cU164vDPfaEC:www.savepacifica.net/images/lorax.jpg[/img]

In addition, how would this post be significant if it was [b]Bear downed by elephant gun[/b]?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Please post some more pics. I would love to see them. If you can't post them, please Email them to me at [email protected]

Thanks
Mark
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[IMG]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/97827/1.jpg[/IMG]

TG
View Quote

OK I SHOULD OF READ AHEAD BEFORE ASKING THE QUESTION!!!!!

NICE!!!  Were you Bait sitting or hunting with Hounds?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Personally, I think that fully automatic fire should be allowed to be used when hunting.  I'd imagine that your M16 would be just fine on anything in North America if you could dump a whole 30 round mag into it if needed.

I'm due to go deer hunting some time this winter if all goes as planned.  I only have my AR to do it with, and I am prepared to double tap when it comes time to shoot.   I trust the .223, but I trust two of them travelling as a team a lot more.

CJ

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#41]
ar-15hunter, you need to get the fuck out of Alaska, you don't deserve to hunt here pulling a stunt like that.  However, you are probably stationed here.  I think you need to have your AR shoved up your ass so you can start to understand some of the suffering you put those animals through.  Use the right tools for the job.  Just because someone can drop a medium or larger animal with one .223 round does not make it right to follow that practice.  Many of the people I know in Alaska would kick your ass if they found out what you did.  Sorry to be so negative, but I am pretty damn disgusted.  Imagine a firing squad that used .22 rimfire on you, and took their time.  What you did wasn't far off.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ar-15hunter, you need to get the fuck out of Alaska, you don't deserve to hunt here pulling a stunt like that.  However, you are probably stationed here.  I think you need to have your AR shoved up your ass so you can start to understand some of the suffering you put those animals through.  Use the right tools for the job.  Just because someone can drop a medium or larger animal with one .223 round does not make it right to follow that practice.  Many of the people I know in Alaska would kick your ass if they found out what you did.  Sorry to be so negative, but I am pretty damn disgusted.  Imagine a firing squad that used .22 rimfire on you, and took their time.  What you did wasn't far off.
View Quote
What he said.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This is probably how people would react if you shot a Bigfoot. "Your a murderer man!" Instead of the proof that bigfoot exists.

Look, people hunt bears with bows and arrows and many other large game. That is no more humane and irresponsible than using a .223.

Quoted:
View Quote

All state laws are different. Some allow 5rds only some don't care if you use a 100rd drum. So don't spout off about that before you check the regs. I would suspect AK is leaning toward the 100 rd drum.

And finally I don't care if you, I, or the fricken Lorax has a moral dilema with this guy taking out that Bear. The fact is, it was done(if all this is true), when most people on these boards said it was impossible.

View Quote

Ridge, your not listening to me.  I wasn't "spouting off about the magazine" If you read my quote you will see that it was in the form of a question.

As far as a moral dilema, yes and no.  The fact that the brown bear is a trophy only kind of bothers me, I know its legal, however it just doesn't seem cool in this day and age.  The dilema I do have is in the possibility that the bear could have run off with two rounds in it and possibly lived with permanent injuries for the rest of its life.

I sort of see where ar-15hunter is coming from where he says its a once in a lifetime oppurtunity; as long as you understand that if you go solely after a bear you take the proper gun. I kind of get the idea that your saying I did it once so Ill do it again.  I personally would have passed it up if I were you without the proper rifle.

I am an avid bowhunter, so when certain people compare it to bow hunting, I cannot agree.  When you bowhunt you take the best bow for the game; compound, correct poundage, broadheads, etc.  Same with rifles and a .223 is not the best for that game.  

I will acknowledge that certain people hunt with traditional bows which I could compare to a .223, I do not think it should be legal to shoot bears with traditional bows or .223.  Deer are much much smaller!  A .223 or traditional bow on deer seems fine to me if your a good shot, I might try it myself.  I don't have a problem with suffering in the short term, I do have a problem with a large animal permanently suffering because you shot it twice with a .22 bullet or 40 pound arrow and it ran off.  And I know you said you could go on all day with the what if thing, however the possibility of shooting a bear with a .223 and never finding it is more than a what if, its gonna happen and probably already has with people whom hunt bear with the wrong equipment.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#44]
As far as the bow and arrow comparison, at least wiht a bow and arrow the bear would have had a chance. He had no chance with the 10 round .223. I know it was a big opportunity but still the story shows that the bear suffered more than most hunters would feel is allowable.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#45]
quote from murdochm4
As far as a moral dilema, yes and no.  The fact that the brown bear is a trophy only kind of bothers me, I know its legal, however it just doesn't seem cool in this day and age.  The dilema I do have is in the possibility that the bear could have run off with two rounds in it and possibly lived with permanent injuries for the rest of its life.

It's ok i'm sure in this day and age someone would have put up a handicap bear trail somewhere for him if he did run off. j/k
I don't think he would have went too far with 2 rounds in his lungs. I know i wouldn't have anyways. Then again i'm a little lighter.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not saying it's a practice to follow, i'm just stating the facts to control inaccurate info. Everyone i work with doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Not to offend but some of you guys sound like a bunch of liberals worring about how long the animal suffered. To expect a brownie to drop in his tracks when shot once with anything is wishing. I haven't heard of many. And as far as being station here, nope, visited a few times years ago and decided it was where i wanted to be. Thanks for you opinion though, but i don't think anyone will be showing up on my doorstep and sticking any rifles up my cornhole.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah thats great dude, but you don't seem to understand that there were no guarantees that those two tiny little .22 bullets were gonna hit the lungs.

Im sure that you feel your a great shot with that big scope and all, more power to you; just understand that you or someone like you will miss the lungs one day, and the bear will run off injured.  If that doesn't bother you or you are that sure of your abilities that you think it could never happen; I wish that you are reincarneted as a bear and that it does happen to you so that you get the idea.

As someone else said: What self respecting hunter would use a .223?  The only reason I would hunt deer with mine is because I don't have money for a 30-06.  If you have a 30-06 as you said and you were hunting deer with your AR, just to make a point or show what a bad ass you are with your 30 round magazine is laughable.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not to offend but some of you guys sound like a bunch of liberals worring about how long the animal suffered.
View Quote
What about not wanting an animal to needlessly suffer makes us liberal?  I'm not a tree hugger, but there's nothing right about what you did.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah thats great dude, but you don't seem to understand that there were no guarantees that those two tiny little .22 bullets were gonna hit the lungs.

Im sure that you feel your a great shot with that big scope and all, more power to you; just understand that you or someone like you will miss the lungs one day, and the bear will run off injured.  If that doesn't bother you or you are that sure of your abilities that you think it could never happen; I wish that you are reincarneted as a bear and that it does happen to you so that you get the idea.

As someone else said: What self respecting hunter would use a .223?  The only reason I would hunt deer with mine is because I don't have money for a 30-06.  If you have a 30-06 as you said and you were hunting deer with your AR, just to make a point or show what a bad ass you are with your 30 round magazine is laughable.
View Quote

I'm pretty darn confident in my shooting abilities. I can't speak for these others you talk of missing the lungs. That's like missing the lungs on a volkswagon.
As far as your last sentence i didn't do it to make a point i personally witnessed a friend drop a buck where he stood with one shot,through his lungs, with his AR using these rounds and i was throughly impressed. He didn't damage a single piece of edible meat. Seeing the bear was just luck, dropping him was a little more than that, for me anyways.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#50]
ar-15hunter nice pics but I dont think if I were in your shoes I would have shot the bear with that small of a caliber.I am not condemning you just think I would have used a larger caliber thats all.Very Nice Trophy though wish I had one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top