Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2003 7:25:33 AM EDT
Being left-handed has some challenges when it comes to using rifles and shotguns. So far, I've installed a ambi safety on my rifle, and I'm considering an ambi mag release and charging handle.  

What other things work/don't work for us right-dominate-hand challenged minority?

How about a Redi-Mag?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#2]
"Adapt your manual of arms to the rifle, not your rifle to you."

Interesting thought, but I would have thought it was the other way around. Adapt your rifle to your situation or condition. Wouldn't be prudent to have a rifle that suits your particular needs, than to adapt and make-do to something that is designed for someone else?

BTW- enjoyed meeting you at GS and had a blast with your MK.II receiver and hybrid shotgun. Very cool stuff. Next AR will be a lightweight version with one of your new lowers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the norgon ambi mag dump. $70 brownells.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Adapt your manual-of-arms to the rifle until you can efficiently operate it in order to be able to use any AR-15. Not just one that is adapted to you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I could see that line of thinking in the military but in the civilian sector chances are you will be using your own rifle.  In that case, I would adapt and customize the weapon to suit the intended user.  It's a luxury of personally owning firearms rather than having to grab one off a rack when the time comes to utilize it.  Why force a square peg into a round hole?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
well I've been rather fortunate not to have to borrow someone else's guns.  For a self-defense , I consider your primary weapon to be rather personal.  The learning curve on weapon customized to your tendecies is alot less steep.  I personally don't look at being left-handed as a problem that needs to be corrected nor do I feel that I should learn to use right-handed items when left-handed ones are available.  I can spend more time learning many of the other aspects of shooting rather than fumbling through the ackwardness of utilizing gun features that were designed for right-handed people.  Heck, the motto I try to follow is, "work smarter, not harder."
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Put all the lefty stuff you can on your rifle and the damn righty's will leave it alone.

Put a stock mounted magazine pouch on the left side of your buttstock.

Also mount your scopes so one knob is on top and one knob on the left.

Personally I'd like to see a sling attachment that is mounted low enough not to interfere with the forward assist.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
While I advocate using two fingers to pull the charging handle back, DPMS sells an ambi charging handle latch.  Bilbo is selling a left handed upper with LH receiver, bolt, and carrier on the EE board.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
hey you leftys should check this out
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=173113&page=1[/url]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried the left sided bolt, and it seemed much easier to manipulate with my right hand than trying to use my right hand to pull the charging handle.  I could still keep my left hand in a primary fire position. I didn't like the left side so open. While some said it made it easier to oil, I thought it would let in twice as much dirt. I also didn't like the fact the the bolt handle moves during firing. I use a single point sling, and using the technique I learned at Tiger Valley, the bolt handle would dig into my side or catch on something. In a situation where I have to clear a malfunction, I would have to visual inspect the chamber, or most likely, transition to a sidearm. My .02 worth of opinion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is my list.

1. Ambi-latch

2.  Ambi safety

3. make sure sling is setup well for both left and right

4. learn how to shoot fast from right shoulder.

I can already shoot well from the right shoulder, 'bout 80% compared to the left, but my cheek weld feels unnatural and I am kinda slow sometimes, at least compared to left handed.

btw, I am a right handed, left eye dominant person, with 2 extra ribs who shoots rifles from both shoulders and handguns just with the right.  My highest score with small bore rifle was 94-1X in the prone position and it took a while to beat the previous score.  It was a 90-1X from offhand.  Some people tell me that I have a lot of wires crossed, so what I might do may not apply to you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm left handed and the ambi safety is the only lefty oriented mod I have done to my ARs.

I agree with the guys that advise you to adapt to the gun. I'm not a competition shooter or have any formal training, but it seems like good advice to me.

I have especially avoided modifying any other rifles or shotguns to suit a lefty. Last thing I want is for myself or a friend to get confused about which way the safety gets pushed on any particular long gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Another lefty here too.

All I did was the ambi safety on my varmint AR.  I forgot to order one on the carbine.

All the other stuff seems moot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]
or we could make this whole debate moot by going ambidextrous with the hardware (which is most of the lefty stuff).  you can manipulate the controls from either side.  Kind of does away with the "what if someone uses my rifle" train-of-thought.  More ergonomic for the lefty owner of the weapon and situation normal for the righty.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I built a rifle for my lefty brother using the DPMS "Southpaw" receiver and bolt, an ambi safety, Ergo grip and some other stuff like sling mounts on the right side and so on.

He loves it because he doesn't have to worry about hot brass any more - it goes to his offhand side where it belongs. More than that, he finally has a rifle made the right - uh, correct - way for him and he doesn't have to make do with right-handed equipment this time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Im a lefty too, and have no left-handed parts on my rifle other than the SOP sling. My first use of the M16A2/AR15 was in MC boot camp. I wasnt about to tell my drill instructors that I needed lefty parts. I adapt and overcome....
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#20]
true, adapting and overcoming is great...what also works in tandem is working smarter and not harder.  If conditions permit, go with the parts that are designed to fit you.  Remember the m-16 was ergonomically designed for right-handed people.  The controls were not put there by random.  besides, most lefty controls are ambidextrous and can be accessed with either hand.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#21]
BILLBO has a lefty M4 upper for sale in the Equipment Exchange. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=185058[/url]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#22]
As a lefty I like the Extended tactical charging handle, I like the DPMS tactical bolt latch, but it does get in the way when doing hammer pin changes, and in the way when taking the magazine catch out, the Ambi selector is there but I used this type rifle so much without it that my thumb comes over and works it before I remember it's on both sides, The double mags clamped slow a magazine change and are for those who do not want to drop thier empty magazines on the concrete, not for people who want quick mag changes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmmmm I'm a lefty and after seeing how much easier it is for me to operate the AR/M16 rifles all my righty buds now consider the AR's a left handed rifle.  Anything you can do right handed you can do quicker and better on it left handed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top