Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2003 10:39:51 PM EDT
I need to get a brass catcher for my ar with an a2 upper. I shoot in the national forest alot and don't like to leave my rounds to litter the ground. Can anyone point me in the direction of a quality brass catcher?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#1]
[url=www.brasscatchers.com/brass.htm]E&L Manufacturing[/url]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
[url=http://www.brownells.com]Brownells[/url] offers a couple of them.

PN 231-015-017
PN 100-000-444

Both $40.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Be sure that the one you get is either lined, or you line it with some material like felt or Nomex or something.  If you don't, not only will it be noisy, but shells may bounce back, scratching your receiver, and possibly causing a jam in rare instances.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out www.3bucc.com
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Make one yourself for nearly nothing.

Obtain one empty plastic container of Vitavuori powder or something similar (see through square milk containers are neat) cut it roughly in half, then cut it again at 45 degrees (similar in shape to the E&L unit) with one side higher about two inches.
Adapt it to your upper, make two holes on the sides for small wire fastners (I tie them on the other side near the scope rings) and there you are.
May not look hi-tech, but it works wonders...

P.S. I own two different types of brass catchers, both the E&L unit that scratches the finish on the receiver under the handle, and the one that Dillon sells with the black net, that occasionally will jam my rifle with brass bouncing back into the ejection port.
The do-it-yourself unit has never given me problems.
I can send you a pic if you are interested...

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url=www.brasscatchers.com/brass.htm]E&L Manufacturing[/url]
View Quote

Second the motion.  I have one for my M16A1.  No problems at all.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have found that with both brass catchers, some of the gas escaping from the chamber gets blown back in my face - the gap between the catcher and upper receiver lets gas out.  I have partially solved this by drilling many holes in the top of the brasscatcher, so as to let the gas out.  I need to experiment some more, because it still happens, though not as bad as at first.

I haven't tried the lining the interior of the brasscatcher with something to reduce the bouncebacks. I have had one or two, can't recall which, times in which I have had a bounceback jam the action. Okay for practice, not so good in the field.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top