Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2003 4:43:48 PM EDT
I am a new shooter, and tried to zero my used BM on a 50 yd range (25 yd not available). I followed the instructions on the website here: put front sight flush with front sight well. Mechanical zero windage ok, w/elev at 300 yds + 1 click, using small aperture. After not getting any hits, I tried to put the front sight back to where the previous owner had, and was still unable to hit 11 X 14 (approx) target at 50 yds.

Any advice on how to reset the front sight now that I have no idea where zero should be?

Any advice on how to zero a weapon on a 50 yd range?

Thanks. Andy. Anacortes, WA
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, 8/3 + 1 click is for zeroing in at 25 meters.

Secondly, you'll have to figure out where exactly you are hitting if you aren't hitting the paper.  If you can have someone spot you, pick something you can see on the burm (assuming you have one) and see where your rounds are landing.  Once you are getting close to that target, try making hits on the paper again and fine tune those groups to get your zero.

Follow these instructions to properly sight in at 50 yards: [url=http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw]Improved Battle Sight Zero[/url]

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Set the gun on a support and bore sight it -

Set up a stool, put some sort of padded rest on top that will hold the gun securely, open the rifle and remove the bolt carrier, set the upper in the rest with the lower hanging down, and peek through the barrel at the target, then the sights, and repeat until the sights are aligned. Boresight with a fairly large black bulls eye; large so it is easy to center in the bore, black so you can see it.  Orange targets are poor beyond about 50 yards when shooting with iron sights.

This will get you on paper, but you will need to fine tune the sight settings by firing.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Andy

I'm in Oak Harbor, and use a range in Coupeville.  They have 75, 100, and 200 yard ranges.  I just resighted my Aimpoint on my AR yesterday.  E-mail me and I can bring you out to the club, sometime as a guest and get your rifle sighted in.  

Chris
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top