Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 10:04:00 AM EDT
Does anyone know how I locate the California "AW" dealers? I have a registered "AW" I am considering selling.

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I am in "middle" California, Modesto.

Thanks, I will check around.

Keith
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Call California Department of Justice Firearms unit [blue][b](916) 227-3694[/b][/blue].  They have a list of Assalt Weapons dealers in your area that can handle the transfer for you.
Here is a link for their site:
[red][url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/phonenum.htm[/url][/red]
[size=5]Whatcha Sellin'?[/size=5]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a pre-ban PWA AR with a 4 digit SN. Currently has Bushmaster 20 inch A2 configuration, also have 11.5/6.5 barrel and collasping stock also maybe 15 mags (GI 30 & 20)
Figure maybe $1300 with all mags and accessories.

Thanks,
Keith
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you sell it to someone else in CA? I thought you'd have to export it to sell to someone else. Or is that what you're talking about doing?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Tulare Ace in Tulare is an AW dealer and Hi-cap mag dealer.  The resident Sheriff's deputy where i work in the summer gets his stuff through him.  i haven't been in the the shop, though.  i don't have much need since i am a MN resident.  i go through withdrawel pains having to be apart from my AR and AK for 6 months.  I'm outta there on Nov. 1st, thank god!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, you can only sell it out of state, and the sale must be via an FFL with an AW permit, which is (presumably) why he's asking.

-Troy
View Quote

Just curious, but what would happen if someone sold it to an individual in another state, shipped it to the buyers FFL and DID NOT go thru an AW FFL in CA?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
the seller just comitted a felony in the state of CA.  that is if it is a registered weapon.  CA state law states all AW transfers must go through a AW dealer(even if selling to an out state dealer) .  if for some reason they found out you sold your registered AW without a AW dealer(even though by federal laws you did right by using an out state dealer) they could charge you with a crime.  funny thing is that if you have an unregistered AW they encourage you to to do that very thing(ie... get it out of the state by any means).
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Licensed assault weapons dealers,.....gotta love that crap.

Register your assault weapons.......(which you can not do now, you had to do it back in the day). Next thing you know I will have to take a f-ing test before I get to cast my ballet in an election....oh wait they already said that was unconstitutional.

I LOVE living in the PRK. [:|]

Anyone have any recomendations on a place to get good 10 round mags for the AR in South Cal? (none of the local shops I frequented before this crap all happened carry anything for the AR) and I won't take my 20's and 30's to the range anymore (was setting up a target and when I came back someone had stolen 2 of them. My fault really should have never left them at my position).

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#11]
your best bet for mags would prob be a gun show.  i haven't seen any at the shops i have been to in the central valley either, but do
see them at the shows in bakerfield all the time.  either that or just order them online.  the only ones i see at shows are pro-mags.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember when all the AW brochures and posters were up in the shops a few years ago, CA DOJ recommended that if you did not want to register your weapon, you could store it out-of-state before the deadline.

What if you did just that-
For example, a family member in NV stores your legal, California unregistered AR15... and you now decide that want to sell your "clean" rifle to someone else in that other state?   Would you have to go through a dealer in that state, or are private party "Cash & Carry" sales illegal everywhere now?   Troy?
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Good Question Kisara, I would also like to know if it is still legal for private party "cash and carry" transfers of longarms. If so, which states? (this will go a great length to narrowing down which states I would be willing to move to in the future ). Just have to start building up the savings to move.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont worry the government knows what's best for you ,just ask Diane Fu*kstien.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Good Question Kisara, I would also like to know if it is still legal for private party "cash and carry" transfers of longarms. If so, which states? (this will go a great length to narrowing down which states I would be willing to move to in the future ). Just have to start building up the savings to move.

View Quote

In Ohio its cash and carry for longarms and handguns.  "Ohio gun shows are the number 1 source of guns used in crimes in the US" (or so they would have us believe, you know, try and make us feel guilty.)
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Unless the laws have changed in the last few years, both Texas and Arkansas allow private party sales of guns.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top