Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2003 4:28:57 AM EDT
First, I've never dropped a gun.
I had one of my M4s propped against the wall sitting on ceramic tile. it Slipped and slammed against the tile on it's side. I cringed. The protruding torqing screw on my QRP mount took most of the impact.I turned on the my Aimpoint and noticed the windage was off by about 4 clicks. I simpy readjusted it. Is this to be expected if and when weapons with optics get slammed hard like this?

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a stupid question at all. These things happen, but usually the mount in this case, got knock out of whack. I would suggest you remove and then re attach the mount/scope and see where it is, the mount may go back to where it was before it got whacked.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Checked the mount. The Aimpoint itself lost zero.
Is this anything to worry about or is it a normal occurance with Scopes and sights alike? This is my first optic.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds odd to me.  They should be able to take that kind of impact and not lose zero.

Did you have the mount tight before it fell?
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes it was tightened/torqued to 6 clicks.

The issue was bugging me so I decided to do a little drop test.

Sight: Aimpoint Comp C
Mount:QRP Aimpoint railgrabber with spacer.
Weapon Bushmaster M4gery A3.

I unloaded the weapon and checked the chamber, turned the Aimpoint on, sat the weapon vertically on it's buttstock and(UGH!) tipped it over. The weapon slammed to the ground on it's left side. Picked the weapon up, went outside, flipped the ARMS #40A2 lined up with the front sight, checked for loss of zero against the blue sky: Dot still centered on point over the front site post. No loss of zero. Removed sight mount torqued back on to 6 clicks. No loss of zero.

2nd test: Same as above: No loss of zero.

3rd test: Same as above: No loss of zero. Worn finish on torqing knob.

After the 3rd test I wasn't willing to go any further dropping the weapon on the deck.[BD]

I'm not sure why the Aimpoint lost zero during the first(unintended) drop, and held zero during the 3 test drops. Odd.Go figure.[%|]

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw a report where the military has had issues like this.  They have had Aimpoint spin inside the mounts a fraction when dropped and it loses zero then is hard to rezero because its not perfectly straight in the mount anymore.  A lug in the Aimpoint and mount was suggested by the author of the report.  I thnk it was a Marine.  He liked the ACOGs more because they did not have this problem and allowed better target ID.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top