Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2003 10:03:16 PM EDT

I'm having a hard time picking up the front sight against black targets at distance and can't do the aimpoint thing yet so I was thinking about painting the front sight something more contrasting.

Just curious if anyone has tried painting their front sight post?  And if so, what color and kind of paint was used?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...I'm a noob at this whole thing.

thanks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe Tapco @ others sell plastic front sight posts in a brightly colored multi pack.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
3M generic White-Out.  Cheap and can be reaplied if rubbed off.  Can be trimmed with a knife and surrounding areas can be touched up with a black Sharpie.  Just did my 1911 the other day, looks great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
While I’ve never tried it on an AR, I’ve also used white-out on handgun sights with [b]some[/b] success.  It depends on the lighting situation, sometimes it’s great, sometimes it’s not.

Easy to try and see how it does.

Suggest you use a petroleum-based type – the water-based types don’t seem to be as durable, plus they cause rust!

I’ve also used an orange grease pencil (china marker) on a serrated handgun sight with success, but I don’t think that would work at all on a smooth AR sight.

Another possibility is finger nail polish.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 2:41:48 AM EDT
[#4]
try some high visibility orange
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:23:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a # 2 lead pencil and draw a diagonal line on your front sight so you can view it thru the peep. When you shoot, make a concious effort to see the line you drew. After a short time your brain and eye muscles will start to pick up the habit of the act of focus... tho it must be reinforced periodicly, as it is nota natural thing to do.   All this is assuming you are a paper shooter.  If you are half blind or shooting for defense I am afraid my advise is worthless to you.   Good Luck   M-
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
i think those bright model paint colors would work pretty good. i havnt put it on my AR but i have put it on my 22's front sight. one of my friends thought it was one of those tru glow sights. hasnt came off yet and its been up there for about 6 years
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:23:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I painted the front sight pin blaze orange on a milsurp rifle I use for deer hunting.  I had trouble picking the front pin out in low light conditions.  The orange worked great, gives me another 20 minutes legal hunting time at sunrise and sunset.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I would not suggest the plastic multi-colored front sights at all. I ordered some for 5 bucks I think it was and they were just shitty.

After about 20 shots they started melting the threads and popping out. I was wondering why I couldnt hit crap and looked at my sights carefully and they were all sideways and popped up.

Keep your 5 bucks.

You can call RRA and order their NM front sights that are thinner than the regular ones and more accurate at a distance(they aren't on the website yet, $7.50 each plus a buck for shipping). I have also seen front sight posts that have a little white ball on the tip for contrast, heck I've even tried the crosshair front sight that I wasn't all that pleased with either, the wire that makes the crosshair bends easily.

I decided to keep the RRA NM FS post, it just works more better!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
try some high visibility orange
View Quote

Better not try shooting any clowns after that...
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I've painted many pistol front sights.
I use jig head paint (fishing jigs).
I put on a coat of white and let it dry. Then apply either Florescent orange or green depeding on which the customer wants.
If you do not put the white on first it does not stand out as much. The paint is about $4.00 a bottle and will do 100's of posts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Neon Orange Enamel (not acrylic) model paint works well.  Let dry overnight.

Then, to 'solvent proof it', apply "Hard As Nails" Clear Fingernail polish over the paint.  Makes the color amazingly durable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I do too, Learned it in the army.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#13]
You need to quickly aquire your front sight ?  Use this.  I use it.  I LIKE it !!!!

[url]http://www.expresssights.com/tactical_sights.html[/url]

Get the Big Dot version (picture on the right-hand side)
[img]http://www.expresssights.com/images/tactical_sights_02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're gonna spend that much on sights, go ahead and buy a set of trijicon Night sights...I just bought a set from BigHue off the EE, and i got a kick-ass deal!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The XS Sights "Big Dot" shown above has the trijicon insert.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top