Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 7:52:53 AM EDT
I desperately want to buy a Rock River 18" Varmint model with bull barrel. The only thing holding me back is the lack of a 1 in 9 twist. I don't want to carry the weight of the 24" bull. Since my intended use is paper punching and coyotes, I prefer to shoot the lighter bullets (55 gr) as opposed to 70-80 grains. Any of you guys that own a 1/8 twist shoot any of the lighter bullets and what kind of accuracy do you get with them  ??? Thanks.

bowhuntr
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot 55gr out of 1/7s, with no problems...
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Ask JimH.
hehehehehehhhheheheehehehehehehe

Dave S
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My DCM/CMP RRA 20" 1/8 rifle shot XM193 very well and the Q3131A even tighter. Suspect your bull barreled RRA will do sub-MOA no problem.

YMMV, as all barrels are different.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you should be ok
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#5]
My 24" RRA 1/8 twist shoots 55 and 60 gr Vmax's better than 68/69 match bullets for me. I bet you could go even lighter and still get good results.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My 16" Bull stainless upper from RRA will shoot sub MOA with 55 gr, of various makes. Funny thing, it really likes the S&B stuff for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My Bushmaster DCM rifle is a 1-8 twist. It shoots 55 grain Federal XM193 a lot better than I can hold it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#8]
My Colt 20 in. 1/7 twist gives me 5 shot clovers with Q3131a!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm presently trying many different factory 55gr with my 24" RRA BB.  I'm not doing better than 1" no matter what I try.  I plan on replacing the trigger with an Accuracy Speaks one.

Then I plan on buying my reloading stuff in Oct and rolling my own.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got my new 24" RRA Varminter and it has 1:8" twist.  DaveS and I went shooting with it for the first time last Saturday.  That rifle is scary accurate.  If DaveS ever gets of his a$$ and e-mails me the pictures we took of the targets, I will post them.  With the "good" ammo (55 gr ballistic tip, factory load from Georgia Arms) I was able to shoot sub 1 inch groups a 100 yards and I'm a noob.  DaveS shot a three shot group that was, no BS, about 1/4" from 100 yds.  That wasn't even from a bench - we were shooting from the tail gate of his pickup truck with a less than rigid plastic rest/holder for the rifle.  Oh yeah, and we were using a $130 scope.  I LOVE MY NEW RRA!
[:D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm presently trying many different factory 55gr with my 24" RRA BB.  I'm not doing better than 1" no matter what I try.  I plan on replacing the trigger with an Accuracy Speaks one.

Then I plan on buying my reloading stuff in Oct and rolling my own.
View Quote

Don't the 24" bull barrels from RRA have a 1 in 12 twist ????  That's supposed to be a good twist for light bullets. If you have a 1 in8, then you should try heavier bullets, 62,69gr up to 75gr.That was why i was concerned about getting an 18" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist since I like to shoot the lighter bullets. From what the guys have said in this thread, it's a crap shoot. Each gun is an individual and will have its likes and dislikes for ammo.

bowhuntr

bowhuntr
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just got my new 24" RRA Varminter and it has 1:8" twist.  DaveS and I went shooting with it for the first time last Saturday.  That rifle is scary accurate.  If DaveS ever gets of his a$$ and e-mails me the pictures we took of the targets, I will post them.  With the "good" ammo (55 gr ballistic tip, factory load from Georgia Arms) I was able to shoot sub 1 inch groups a 100 yards and I'm a noob.  DaveS shot a three shot group that was, no BS, about 1/4" from 100 yds.  That wasn't even from a bench - we were shooting from the tail gate of his pickup truck with a less than rigid plastic rest/holder for the rifle.  Oh yeah, and we were using a $130 scope.  I LOVE MY NEW RRA!
View Quote

Now, he calls himself........RodeoFan.  Fitting.

I think I will first post the pics of you where the dwarf caught on fire but the girl turns out okay.

Dave S

BTW, I will send them to you after I get back from Bambi Bashing.  Going right after work.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#13]
You can get the 24" RRA Varminter with 1 in 12 or 1 in 8. This option is not listed on the shorter barrels but may be available if you call and ask. However, my 24" 1 in 8 RRA is sub moa with Nosler BT hand loads in 55 grain and factory 50 grain. The only down side to fast twist rates is that some of the fragile varment bullets can't take the RPMs and come apart. I learned this years ago with a Savage 110FP 1 in 9 when shooting Speer TNT and Hornady SX bullets.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Now, he calls himself........RodeoFan.  Fitting.

I think I will first post the pics of you where the dwarf caught on fire but the girl turns out okay.

Dave S

BTW, I will send them to you after I get back from Bambi Bashing.  Going right after work.  
View Quote

Got the pictures posted.  They are here:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=171112[/url]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top