Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 12:06:49 PM EDT
I recently read that you could not put a preban upper on a postban receiver.  That would seem logical since the receiver is the controlled part and receivers made after XX date could not have any of those evil parts:)

But how about the opposite...putting a postban upper on a preban receiver?  Would that be legal?
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
upper or lower recievers are neither post , nor pre-ban , only complete rifles are ....

Confusing , isn't it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
You're darn right it's confusing.  I want to build an SPR using a pre-ban receiver to allow me to use a collapsible stock.  Can I purchase a preban lower receiver and then other parts as necessary without violating the AWB or other laws?  My readings of the AWB has left me confused and reluctant to do anything other than purchase postban complete rifles.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a pre-ban receiver, you don't have to worry about the "evil" features of the 94 awb.  You can have collapsible stocks, bayonet lugs, flash suppressors, threaded barrels, and whatever else I can't think of.  Those are all verboten on a post-ban receiver.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, this may sound stupid, but do you mean that I can buy a preban lower receiver (without buying the complete rifle) then add any upper receiver I want to it to construct a new rifle?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
what about mixing preban post ban accessories like mags and such?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK, this may sound stupid, but do you mean that I can buy a preban lower receiver (without buying the complete rifle) then add any upper receiver I want to it to construct a new rifle?
View Quote

Go over to the Legal forum, under General. Not a stupid question at all, but not a simple one either. There is a huge amount of discussion on this point and you will want to read it if you're thinking about building a preban from a lower receiver.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what about mixing preban post ban accessories like mags and such?
View Quote

Preban mags are legal in postban guns in your state if they're also legal in preban guns in your state.

With other accessories you'll need to be more specific. Suggest you also check out the legal forum.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the re-direct.  I'll check it out![^]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
for a lower to be preban it would have had to leave the factory before the ban in its bells and whistles configuration.ATF says just a left the factory without being complete into a rifle lower is postban not pre no matter if serial#denotes preban
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
for a lower to be preban it would have had to leave the factory before the ban in its bells and whistles configuration.ATF says just a left the factory without being complete into a rifle lower is postban not pre no matter if serial#denotes preban
View Quote

It could have left before the ban as just a lower as long as the owner assembled it or bought the parts kit to finish it before the ban.  That is also a preban.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#12]
You can put a preban upper on a post ban lower as long as the preban upper doesn't have any of the evil features. Isn't that correct.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:42:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can put a preban upper on a post ban lower as long as the preban upper doesn't have any of the evil features. Isn't that correct.
View Quote

The upper itself isn't considered pre-ban or post-ban, they are just configured for either pre/post-ban rifles. If the upper you are putting onto the post ban rifle has evil features then you have an illegal AW. If you take an upper that has the evil features and remove those features, you can then put it onto your post-ban rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Well yeah I did read that section but its cryptic at best. So If I were to come into posession of a postban beta c mag or pre ban beta c mag I could use it on a postban weapon or like one of those norinco or chinese drum mags?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If you came into possesion of a postban BetaC and were not an LEO you would be in violation of the AWB.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#16]
thats what I thought
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top