Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2003 12:37:27 PM EDT
Any opinions on an A2 detachable handle w/sight on a flat top? Work okay or go another route like the detachable rear sight they have at DPMS? I don't really have the scratch for an ACOG type of set up at this time.
                Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
A3 detachable handle. A2 is fixed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My bad. I saw it referred to as an A2 carry handle. Any help?
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
After reading all the opinions here on flat top vs A2 or A1 uppers, I built up a flat top upper.

I went with a detach carry handle like you are talking about, and I like the feel and sight.

However, that handle is heavy, close to a pound.

Plus, I really feel the AR series rifle is a true carbine, not a long range rifle.  It really shines with iron sights and when the small peep is zeroed at 200 yds.
Because of this, I am now looking to dump my flat top and am looking for an A1 receiver without the bump on the side.  

What the carry handle will do for you is give you a standard M16/AR-15 rear sight with a familiar profile to those who trained on the A2 uppers.

Get one, and see if you like it, you can always sell it on the EE board and recover much of your investment.  Just make sure you buy a good quality carry handle, Colt, Bushmaster, etc.  Stay away from the cheap junk.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A3 detachable handle. A2 is fixed.
View Quote

Actually, that all depends on the company you are buying from.  Bushmaster, Colt and I believe DMPS consider a flattop an "A3," while Armalite and RRA use an "A4" designation.

Quoted:
My bad. I saw it referred to as an A2 carry handle. Any help?
View Quote

You aren't entirely wrong.  The rear sight on a detatchable carry handle is in fact an "A2" sight.  For your question (and for future refernce) call it a "Detachable/Removable carry handle," and everyone will know what you are refering to.  Now back to your question.

Any opinions on an A2 detachable handle w/sight on a flat top? Work okay or go another route like the detachable rear sight they have at DPMS? I don't really have the scratch for an ACOG type of set up at this time.
Thanks
View Quote

A detachable/removable carry handle is a great way to 1) learn to use iron sights 2)save a little "scratch" until you decide what type of optic you will be using on your rifle/carbine.

Many people who have flattop recievers will ad some type of optic other that irons.  Many (especially those with Carbine) will go with some type of "dot sight." ie Aimpoint, EOTech, etc.  Those with full sized rifles may opt foe some type of magnified scope.  In either case, see what will fit your shooting needs and go with that.  Until then use the carry handle and learn to be accurate with Iron sights.  When you switch to a Scope, you'll appericiate it more.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top