Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2003 11:38:08 AM EDT
I have tried and tried and tried some more and I cannot seem to get my Bushmaster sighted in. I can't even manage to get 3 shots in a row on the same side of the target. What am I doing wrong? I'v followed Bushmaster's instructions and I'v used the info off this site but I still can't seem to do it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Well one scenario is that your sights are waaaay off from messing with them too much. Try this:

Remove the upper from the rifle and clap it down somehow, either in a vise or use some other way to secure it down so it doesn't move. Next loosen the vise and aline the bore on a verticle taget, 50-100 meters away, then center the taget in the bore from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock, the front sight post should be on line and verticle with the target.

Now tighten the vise. Then adjust the rear sight windage untill you get a proper sight picture on the vertical target throught the bore. If you did it correctly the rear sight aperature will be in the center of the front sight post when the barrel is properly alined in the reciever.

if the barrel isn't alligned in the sights, usually excessive windage is present and the worst case will be that you need to replace the upper reciever.

You can also try to shoot 3 rounds at a target 20 feet away, if you can hit it, move it back 10 feet, untill you reach 100 meters. if for somereason your shot groups start to wander left or right, then you have a major windage, barrel or reciever problem. At this point youre better off going to a AR gunsmith and have them look at it.

The Cheat

Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok goto the range, take the upper completely off the rifle, remove the bolt carrier group.

Now stack the rifle upper on sand bags, peek through the bore and find a reference point somewhere out there at 100yds or so. Find a rock or a spot or whatever you can see through the bore.  Now without moving the upper look through the iron sights. You will see which way you need to adjust them, adjust them till you see the same reference point. Now this will get you on paper at 100 yds and fine tweaking can be done from there.

That military crap of using a 25 yd or meter sightin target is a joke and does not correlate to any real distance.

Also if your point of impact of the bullet is to the right then your rear site peep must move left. If your point of impace is low then the front site must be screwed clockwise/down.

If you have the A2 rear site then screw the elevation knob clockwise till it bottoms out then a bit anti clockwise till you are on the 8/3 meter mark. This is assuming someone has ever set up the rear site properly.

Last possibility is that you have a quick twist barrel between 9-7 and are shooting a 55gr or lighter bullet and the rpm of that twist barrel is blowing the jackets off the bullets. Usually only super expolsive type bullets do this. Hornaday SX and Speet TNT bullets come to mind.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the tips I'l try them next time I go. I looked up the stats and my barrel is a 1 x 9" right hand twist and I'm shooting Winchester white box I think 55 grain
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Get closer to the target to start with. I think screwing around with bore sighting is a waste of time. Just my opinion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top