Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2003 10:34:21 AM EDT
Howdy All,

In the mid to late '80s I saw an interesting AR-15 carbine at a local range.  The owner let me handle it and fire it, and I remember that it had unusual receiver markings on it.  It had the Rock Island Arsenal logo on it (with crossed cannons).  I don't remember if the logo was on the left or the right (ejection) side of the receiver.  I remember it had a dull chrome bolt carrier, and it had a light 16" barrel on it with a fixed stock.

I have never seen another like it and I was wondering if anyone might have any info.  

Thanks,
Cheesebeast
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Rock Island Armory was a division of Springfield Armory. The owner of Springfield, Rock Island and RSI is the Reese family, mainly Bob Reese. Rock Island was ran at one time by Crazy Dave Reese (son), the black sheep of the family and all around great guy.

The receivers were made on contract by SGW/Olympic Arms, before the days of access to forgings. The Rock Island receiver were milled from soild bar stock 6061T6. They stopped producing these ARs when Colt sued them for patent infringments. Most of the ARs were semi-auto, so were select fire, but the rare models are the El Salvadorian marked receivers. Yes, they had a pending contract with the El Salvadorian government to produce M16A1 configured ARs. All Rock Island Ar's are truly a piece of history.

ls
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
A buddy of mine sold one about two years ago.  It was a strange looking lower.  You could see the faint marks of the SGW logo, but it was actually stamped over with the Rock Island info..  The lower was obviously milled out of stock, as the front edges of the receiver were rather sharp.  The gun ran fine, but it was horribly ugly.  I could have snagged it for about $700, and guess that I should have. Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda...........
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have seen two at shows. They were both stamped with the Rock Island mark on the bolt catch side if the mag well. They were both made on Sendra marked and made forged receivers. The Sendra marking was on the bolt catch side of both above the trigger hammer pin area.
View Quote

Your correct, regarding the Sendra marked receivers. Jerry Drasen filled in the slack for SGW, but shortly after they started is when Colt sued SA and RIA.

I would love to have one of the Sendra marked RIA receivers.

ls
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks All!

That satisfies my curiosity- y'all are great sources of information.  I guess I have an odd memory- I remember the type of firearms people own and the name of their pets, but people's names?? Almost never.

"Say, aren't you the guy who owns that cherry pre-war Colt National Match?"

Or

"Ah, you must be Holly's owner..."

Once again,
Thanks all!
Cheesebeast
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top