Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2003 3:18:36 AM EDT
I'm new to the forum and I have a question concertning the AR-15 rifle.

I'm 22 years old and I've always liked guns.  I've considered buying an AR-15, but I have a question.  I wasn't sure who to call on this in my area so I figured one of you guys will know your stuff.

I have a felony on my juvenile record...I think it's a 3rd degree.  Will that disqualify me from owning a firearm as an adult?  Or how does that work?  I'm in Pennsylvania, by the way.

Thanks, guys.
-Ryan
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Felony convictions demonstrate that you should NOT own firearms. However, some states dismiss
felonies from juveniles when they become adults.
It depends on the offense. What exactly was the offense?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:36:36 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a good lesson of something that bit you in the ass years later.  Yea, some states will wipe out a juvy charge after you reach majority (21).  I really don't wanna know what you did, but are you sure you really need a gun..??  By the way, get rid of that piece of shit amp and get a real one
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have a felony on my juvenile record...I think it's a 3rd degree.  Will that disqualify me from owning a firearm as an adult?  Or how does that work?  I'm in Pennsylvania, by the way.

Thanks, guys.
-Ryan
View Quote

Probably, but there is a single exception. It is listed as "Important Notice 6, Exception 1" on the 4473 Form. Suggest you get one of these forms and decide if you meet the exception or not.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
He can always petition for Relief.  AKA: Pardon.
Every year I read in the newspapers about a Hundred or so people who did a One Time Stupid, and then are Pardoned.
Some people wait for decades, some only a few months.  It all depends on the person.
What he did, I don’t know either.  How much it will cost him in legal fees I don’t know either.  But he can try it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know much about State laws, but the BATF site indicates that there is no funding for the department that provides "relief" to felons seeking restoral of firearms privledges.  So there is no money to process the applications and, as I read this, none have been approved in many years.

See:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a10

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

A10) Q. How can a person convicted of a felony have his or her gun privileges restored? [Back]

A. Under the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), convicted felons and certain other persons are prohibited from possessing firearms. (See 18 U.S.C. section 922(g).) The GCA provides the Secretary of the Treasury with the authority to grant relief from this disability where the Secretary determines that the person is not likely to act in a manner dangerous to the public safety. (See 18 U.S.C. section 925(c).) The Secretary delegated this authority to ATF.

Since October 1992, however, ATF's annual appropriation has continuously prohibited the expending of any funds to investigate or act upon applications for relief from Federal firearms disabilities. This restriction is located in Pub. L. No. 106-554, 114 Stat. 2763, which contains ATF appropriations for fiscal year 2001. As long as this provision is included in current ATF appropriations, the Bureau cannot act upon applications for restoration of Federal firearms privileges submitted by individuals. Consequently, we cannot entertain any individual's request for firearms restoration while this prohibition on the processing of such applications remains in place.

Furthermore, the restriction contained in Pub. L. No. 106-554 does not change the status of prohibited persons. They are still prohibited from possessing, receiving, transporting, or shipping firearms under Federal law.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#6]
additional information to my first post:

1. The BATF does suggest contacting the Atty General in your state (FAQ# 11).

2.  Info On PA rules can be found at the following link:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/pdf/pennsylvania.pdf

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info.

I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It's unlikely you'll get a "proceed" from NICS if you buy from a licensed FFL dealer who has to call it in, with a felony of any kind.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top