Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 3:38:32 PM EDT
Okay, this is an anal retentive question. I know the normal way to store your firearms is with the muzzle pointing up, but do you ever have it muzzle down? Reason I ask is so the lubrication doesn't run all the way down and by switching directions the lube goes the other way.

No cracks about lube and anal
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Um,  No. I don't have time to make things up to worry about. [:D]

I have however been known to put a few drops of CLP down the bore when one has sat for a perticularly long time, knowing it will ooze down an into the action.

Bob

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, keep all rifles pointing up.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
My rifles don't sit that long in my safe for me to worry about it. [:D]

I guess I keep my rifles pointed up because that is what everyone else does. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep mine in a specially built swimming pool full of protectant[:D]

Noooo.....I shoot mine to often to worry.  I store em muzzle up but I don't think it is a sin not to.  Re-lube once a month or so if your concerned.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have too much stuff in not enough space.  One one side of my safe, AK's alternate up/down just to use up the few inches of space the pistol grip and stocks take up by sticking out.   The ones pointing down have a sheet of foil inside a plastic sandwich bag to keep the drips off the carpet lining.

I know some collectors who have actually removed the pistol grips on their preban stuff just to make things fit.   That's too extreme for me...
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Real rednecks store their firearms [i]horizontally[/i].
(In the rack in the back window of their pick-up.)  
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve heard of folks doing exactly that.

I’ve tried it, but found that most rifles don’t balance too well on their muzzles!!  [:D]

I think this is more an issue with rifles or shotguns with wood stocks and/or fiberglass bedded stocks, since oil can run down from the barrel and damage them.  This obviously doesn’t apply to AR’s.

If you’re worried about it, Brownells sells a cartridge-like plug with an O-ring that you can use to plug the chamber – just don’t forget to remove it before trying to load the weapon!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never stored my long guns muzzle up, always muzzle down. It doesn't seem to take any more space; I tie a 14ga electrical wire from the wall of the safe around the butt of the long gun, and back to the wall to hold them in place.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Which safe?  [;)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have something like an old Winchester lever gun and are going to leave some kind of cleaner in the bore to break up all the crud you store the rifle muzzle down so as not to have the chemicals run through the receiver and back into the stock. Those chemicals can stain the stock. My dad does this from time to time on some of his “assault rifles.”

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#11]
My gun safe is so full even the mice have moved out!!!!![:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top