Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 11:40:13 AM EDT
You can replace preban magazine bodies for brand new ones as long as you keep your old body. Does this rule apply for lowers too?

I saw this demilled (broken vertically in half) Gov. M16 Lower on Ebay a while back, and that got me thinking. Couldn't someone just replace it? (don't bother looking, the auction is well over...last i saw it, it was at $167ish)
Anyway i thought that be a kick ass deal if it was legal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I guess that's a good reason to but a rifle with a lifetime warranty.  Though I'd think that you should be allowed to repair any part/rifle to it's operating condition.  Though that's logic speaking, the gvt most likely has a different take on it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I saw this demilled (broken vertically in half) Gov. M16 Lower on Ebay a while back, and that got me thinking. Couldn't someone just replace it?
View Quote

If it isn't already in the NFA registry, it isn't going in there now...
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I know Olympic will replace your preban AR15 lower receiver if it breaks, with the same serial number on it, free of charge if defective or for a fee if from neglect or abuse. They definitely will make a new receiver with the same serial. For NFA registered full auto receivers, I don't know. I don't know about other manufacturers, I would think they wwould replace the broken receiver for a fee also, if no lifetime warranty like Oly.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Well thats a gyp! Well good to know, and a good thing i didn't bid on that lower. Thanks for all the replies guys!
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Why would you pay $160ish for a broken lower?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, think about it. M16 Lowers are over $7500. [B]IF IT WAS LEGAL[/B] to replace it, just the way you're able to replace mag-bodies, you could buy any a new post-1981 lower,for relatively cheap to replace the broken one. Whoa, run-on sentence. Hope it made as much sense as it did in my head.

But as i've learned, you can't replace NFA lowers, so nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
It was broken for a reason. That is the way they often "de-mil" surplus arms. Sometime a big hammer mill to break it up, sometimes torch cuts, and sometimes a big MOFO press that squishes everything flat. The only reason people were buying that lower was to use it as a jig for the Auto Sear holes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
If it was in the NFA registry and it was being sold for $160 then remake it with the same serial# and destroy the original. Laws be damned. At least a couple of thousand $$ profit and a hard to detect, victimless crime.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
So I can find this later.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
GUNBERT

Yes,, you can send a warn out NFA lower to the company that made the reciver for replacment, My M16 lower that you like to use, is the second one with that serial #, SGW's just dont last.

larryg36
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#13]
There seems to be a lot of consternation about Registered Reciever replacement.  I've been told by the manufacturer of my RR that they can do it for a nominal fee, and [b]with[/b] the blessing of the BATFE.  Guys like Troy, who are very knowedgeable, think otherwise.  So, not to step on anyones toes without solid information, I'm going to get in touch with the gents at ATF and see if I can't get their interpretation of the law in writing.  

I'll post the results here as soon as I get them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#14]
If my M16 lower breaks, I'll send it off for repair. It doesn't matter if it breaks into 10 pieces, it can be put back together. "TonyK" said that he's only heard of one non-repairable M16 lower, and it was melted in a house fire. Take care of them and they should last a long time. Use only quality ammo and keep it well-maintained (lubricated, etc.). I plan on buying the KNS anti-rotation fire control pins for mine to keep from elongating the holes in the lower receiver.

As for replacing a registered M16 lower, Olympic claims that they WILL replace theirs:

[b]"Registered receiver full-auto replacement.

Cost is $250.

Olympic Arms will only accept it from a licensed Class 1/2/3 dealer, transferred using a form 5.  This is done to reduce the paperwork on their end.

The process is:

You need to contact Olympic Arms and work out the details, so they know it is coming.  
You need to form 5 your receiver to a dealer in your state.
The dealer you transferred it to, then transfers it to Olympic Arms using a form 5.  If your dealer is setup to do FAX transfers, this takes roughly 1 month to get the paperwork back.
Olympic Arms creates a new forged receiver with all the markings of the old receiver, except for logo.  See logo information for your choice.  Olympic Arms destroys the old receiver.
Olympic Arms transfers the new receiver back to your dealer using a form 5.  This takes roughly 1 month.
Your dealer than transfers it back to you using a form 5.  If your dealer is setup to do FAX transfers, this takes roughly 1 month to get the paperwork back.
You then have a brand new forged lower receiver, but it retains the status as a legally registered lower receiver."[/b]

From [url]http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/upgrade_receiver.htm[/url].
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh yeah, back to the original question. You cannot reweld a demilled M16 receiver LEGALLY if it is not already listed in the NFA registry. Even though it is physically feasible (many have been rewelded up so well that you cannot tell), doing so now means a 10-year prison sentence.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#16]
That is another reason why you invest in a good registered drop in auto sear.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#18]
How about aclass III MAC-10 receiver?

If the original manufacturer how shut down, are you really SOL?
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#19]
My understanding is that the Ruger AC556 machine gun is still supported and one owner on a NFA message boards had a replacement receiver built with the new serial number.

-Dan
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That is another reason why you invest in a good registered drop in auto sear.  
View Quote

I have fire a ton of 16s. All the LL and DIAS guns never had the rythym of factory guns. Dont know if it was poor timing, poor auto sear or LL.
GG
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Point Blank Question:

Will Colt remanufacture a preban lower receiver that is damaged by the owner of the receiver?

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#22]
It just takes one phone call to Colt,!!!!! why are you asking here?????
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top