Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2003 6:12:32 AM EDT
I have two possibly dumb questions regarding my RRA A2 20" black rifle. I can't find the answer to either in the GI field manual that came with it or the Bushmaster manual that I downloaded, so here goes:

1) I understand the dustcover is meant to keep the chamber clear of most debris when the weapon is not being fired. Am I correct to assume that the rifle should not be fired with the dust cover closed? Would doing so lead to a failure to extract/eject or a jam? Or is this ok to do?

2) The latch mechanism on the left side of the charging handle: what is its purpose? I know not to "ride the slide" and let the charging handle go forward on its own without help, but when is the handle to be latched?

Thanks for any and all help!

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
When you pull the charging handle back, the dust cover opens automatically. Even if you shot it with the dust cover closed, it will open as the bolt goes back. The latch on the left side locks the charging handle in place.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on the dust cover, just keep the thing closed, you don't have to worry about it. The second the bolt moves the thing flies open.

The latch is there to secure the charging handle to the receiver, since it is non-reciprocating. If you are checking the chamber, for example, and open it just a bit, just push the handle forward (after checking) until it latches in place.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to both of you for your information.

Very helpful!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure the charging handle is latch in place!  If you just let the bolt carrier slam home then you shouldn't have a problem.

If the charging handle isn't latched - then you'll get a nose full of aluminum the next time you fire (OUCH!).

BTW I see you're from Maryland.  Have you stopped by the MD Forum in the Hometown area?  How about dropping by the Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site.  Lots of great information for the newbies and we run periodic shoots. [url]http://www.md-ar15.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Forest, I have the MD site bookmarked and go by periodically.

I have yet to actually fire the rifle; I ordered it in April, it came in July 3 (as the wife and kids departed for out of town visit with relatives out of state), and the clerk at the store said, "sit down and fill out your paperwork, and you can get it in a week". No amount of arguing about HBAR and match-type configuration would get the gun right there. This was the topic of a thread in July, so we don't need to hash it out.

Long story short, I have been on call and pre-occupied with work deadlines that should ease soon, as well as summer vacations that are over, so I hope soon to go to the (indoor) range  just to get familiar with its operation. Hence this post to clear up a couple of questions first.

Eventually I plan to get to an outdoor range to really see what's what; any thoughts on what is close to Olney, MD, as far as outdoor shooting?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I just pull the charging handle back and let it fly forward, are you not suppose to do that or what?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Letting the charging handle fly forward is the correct maneuver; I hope the way I phrased the question earlier didn't make anyone think otherwise.

Easing it forward (equivalent to "riding the slide" on a semi-auto pistol) is not the way to close the bolt unless you are inspecting the gun or checking the chamber. I assume that easing the charging handle forward risks feeding problems, but anyone feel free to correct me on this. Perhaps it is not as big an issue for the AR15 as for semi-auto pistols. Comments?

Now I know to make sure that the latch catches (which is automatic when you let the handle fly, as I have just learned).
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just pull the charging handle back and let it fly forward, are you not suppose to do that or what?
View Quote

That is the correct method.  Easing the bolt carrier forward is a great way to get missfeeds and not having the bolt lock up.

----

Outdoor Ranges near Olney?  Your two best bets are the AGC or the Frederick IWLA.  Both will run you about 40-45 minutes easily.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
You can ride the CH if you use the FA though, right?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top