Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 10:35:41 AM EDT
hey  I am going to order my part kit from model one sales and i have a few  probably dumb questions.   It says choose chamber. 5.56 nato or 223 rem. Is there any difference? Or is is the same? Secondly, Are the Nm sights worth the extra 40 bucks? Also I am considering getting the welded brake $35 Bucks....is it worth it?  They also have a Chrome bolt carrier rather than the standard for 75 dollars...What is the difference? Thank you for all your time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
C&P from fulton armory.
"If we are talking about .223 Remington SAAMI-spec chambers in an AR15, OH NO!

Do NOT use such a chambering if you EVER plan on shooting any military NATO 5.56 ammo, which happens to be only the most common, least expensive and most widely used AR15 cartridge available in all the world. In other words, NEVER buy/use a SAAMI-spec chamber in a battle rifle, especially if the barrel and chamber are chromed, as you cannot fix it!

Here's the problem. Many NATO cartridges have bullets that will become jammed into the rifling of a SAAMI chambering (the throat is too short). This is VERY DANGEROUS, for a grat number of reasons.

Fulton Armory uses a "5.56 Match" chambering in its rifles/uppers/barrels (in fact our barrels are marked as such), which is a slightly modified SAAMI chamber with a tad longer throat to accommodate NATO bullets. The Fulton Armory 5.56 Match chamber allows for the safe and reliable use of all SAAMI and NATO ammo, while offering the accuracy potential of the SAAMI chamberings with match commercial cartridges. Remember, there's often a large difference between bolt guns and military rifles. This particularly true for the 5.56 vs .223; Fulton Armory is well known for the finest performance for any given platform, and our 5.56 Match chamber is one way we achieve that performance with the AR-15-type rifle.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Clint McKee"
--------------------------------------------
are you going to shoot service rifle competitions? if not don't worry with the NM sights.

i would go breakless.  they are loud and if you want to do home gun smithing you will have to get it cut off.

you don't need a Chrome bolt carrier
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]
308wood is absolutely right.  If you want to read the full details on .223 vs 5.56 you can take a look at the [url=www.ammo-oracle.com/#diff]Ammo FAQ[/url].  Also of interest is the [url=www.saami.org/unsafe3.htm]SAAMI Unsafe Arms and Ammunition Combinations Data Sheet[/url].
As to your question on chrome bolt carrier, some folks swear by them.  I don't have one but they should provide easier cleaning and a nice bling-bling look.  Unless you just want to spend the extra money you should do well with a standard carrier.
Further clarification would be nice for the muzzle brake you're talking about.  Which one?

E-95
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow Thanks I Didn't think that there was  much of a difference On the chambering.    On Model 1 sales It just says Welded brake. I think they mean a short brake it looks like from the picture.  It looks to have two holes on each side maybe.   Thanks.. Is the muzzle brake effective in Slowing muzzle rize? Or could I do without it. This rifle really isnt going to be used in competitons, but I Do spend Alot of time in the range.   Would the muzzle brake protect the crown?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the muzzle brake effective in Slowing muzzle rize?
you don't get much rise in the first place.  not semiauto anyway.  i think you can do verry well without it.

the muzzle brake does a good job protecting the crown.  do you plan on dropping it on the crown?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope I don't plan on dropping it on the crown. But It isn't going to be a safe queen either. I reload my ammo. And 5.56  can be reloaded in .223 Correct? or would i be better off with a .223 chamber since i am reloading?   Can I fire .223 in a 5.56 chamber?  Since the ammo guide says 5.56 shouldnt be fired in .223 chambers since its hotter...but  I should be able to fire 223 in a 5.56 right?
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
You can reload and fire your 5.56 and .223 through a 5.56 chambered weapon.

You would NOT be better off with a .223 chamber.

A 5.56 chamber gives you the best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks alot! You have just cleared up ALOT of confusion. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I hate muzzlebrakes.

Granted they do reduce the recoil a bit, which I guess might allow a little faster follow-up shot - but it’s not like a .223 has much recoil to begin with.

However, they also redirect the muzzle blast back towards anyone positioned next to the shooter, and - to a lesser degree – also towards the shooter.   I dislike this pretty intensely!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Right on about the muzzle brake on an AR, too freakin loud for me.

The chamber thing is IMHO a personal choice, I have a .223 rem chambered upper on one of mine and I love it ( for what it is ) Not a very good choice for a rifle which needs to shoot more than 400-500 rounds between cleanings. There is a reason the military chose 5.56 chamber.

But .223 chamber is the ticket for accurate low volume shooting, and mine eats what I feed it without a hitch.

As for shooting Military ammo in a .223 chamber, it probably does elevate pressure a bit, but mine has digested quite a bit without a hitch.

YMMV.

The match sight option. Might be the ticket for precision, but not absolutely neccecary. Finer adjustment might be of some use if you shoot alot of long range precision type stuff, but for offhand rapid fire scenarios it doesn't help much.

Travis F.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top