Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2003 3:53:56 AM EDT
I need some information about gun safes so I can store my AR and several antique guns in one. What are the things to look for and things ot look out for so I get a quality safe at a reasonable price, hopefully under $1K if possible. Thanks in advance!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:02:06 AM EDT
[#1]
sams club has granite safes that say winchester on them. i think they are 60x30x24 and are $700. much cheaper than some other safes. but i don't know how they compare.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one of these safes from Sam's Club a couple monthes ago. It is great for my needs. Has plenty of space for guns and other valuables. It weighs ~650 lbs and has a locking G&S (?) combo dial. If you can live with the Winchester logo it's the best deal I found after searching for a few monthes. The interior can be reconfigured to accommodate more long guns if you like. I really like mine. I paid $699 for mine. I had to pick it up, Sam's had no delivery on this thing. If you got about 3 buds it's not too bad.

Shabo
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of the Sam's safes about a year ago at a much higher price.  It works just fine.  It's amazing what peace of mind having a safe can give you.  I never have to worry about my son or one of his friends happening onto one of my guns, and doing something stupid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Costco has Canon safes, the units they carry have the "4 way" interiors, electronic lock, avaiable in green or black krinkle finish, $674. Size is 60"h x 22"d x 28"w
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Cannon safe with the electronic lock and it works fine for me. My only problem is that I am running out of room for all of my valuables and might have to get a bigger one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Cannon - American Eagle safe that I bought from Academy a few years back for about $899.  It's very big, not electronic though.  I have JimTash's problem now though, I'm out of room.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The most important thing to remember about any safe is that it is too small as soon as you buy it.  I bought one thinking that it would never be filled, and now my AR just fits in.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Look on the web at www.sturdysafe.com.  There telephone number is 559 485-8361 and ask for Terry Pratt.  They have specials.  The are located in Fresno so shipping will be a bit but the quality is super and you may be able to stay under $1,000 including shipping.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:03:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes Academy sports has good price on Cannon with the electronic lock.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
OK so most of you like the Sam's or the Canon how did you get it to the room where it is now? Push Pull method? Safe dolly? How? What about fire ratings? What do you all know about hte Ft. Knox brand?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#11]
i saw some at walmart the other day. one was around $380, the one where you had to dial your combo in. the other one was around $500 and that one had the bush button combonation thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Fort Knox.  UL listed, fire rated.  Traded in one large for two smaller.  90% trade in value.  Nuf said.

Kindest regards
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Fort Knox is an excellent brand, among many.  I shopped around for a long time.  I'm very happy.  There are a lot of models to choose from.  I bought a Defender 6031 model this spring.  Look at their website for the various different models and fire ratings as it's self-explanatory  Do buy something bigger than you think you'll need.  IMO, the electronic pad is not necessary and I didn't get it.  The safe set me back $1600 after add-ons and delivery to my basement.  It is more than you want to spend, but I think that if someone has thousands of dollars worth of guns, why not spend a decent amount to keep them safe.  I think if the gun somehow found it's way to a crime scene, it will be a lot better from a legal standpoint that they had to pry it out of a safe.  Plus, you can keep important papers, wife's jewelry, etc. in there.  Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#14]
As mentioned above, buy a safe that's about twice as big as what you think you need.  It'll fill up fast, especially if you've got Black Rifle Disease.  A tricked out AR (SIR, optic, light, etc.) takes up as much room as 2 unscoped bolt actions.

As for fire ratings, they're usually stated as X degrees for Y minutes.  If you live out in the country or far from the nearest fire station, you'll want to buy as much time as possible.  For us city folk, this is less of an issue (there's a station less than a mile from me).
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I rented a U-Haul and dolly to get mine home. Got 3 friends and told them the beer and steaks were on me if they helped get the beast in my bedroom. Had to take the door off the hinges and had to move a dresser but we got it in without anyone being too seriously injured. It slid pretty easy on the berber carpet once we got it close to it's final resting place.

I agree with toysarforus the peace of mind that my kids or their friends can't get at my guns would have been worth twice the price and hassle.

Shabo
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I used an appliance dolly and a small pick-up truck, I removed the safe from the supplied pallet,  placed it on the dolly, then into the back of the truck. Me and one other person was all that was needed to move this into my garage.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Champion safe, very nice, high gloss burgandy exterior,manual locks all the way, 1300 F for 1 hr.  We used a dolly to get it in and laid down 1 inch plywood to put over the tiles, carpet, and wood flooring.  The safe weighed around 800 lbs.  Also had the floor reinforced where it would be sitting.  Also, I am nearly out of room in it, but could not get one bigger in the room.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I just moved from Arizona to Oregon. In Arizona the houses are built on slabs; you move your safe in and bolt it down, no problem. Here in Oregon, most houses are built on stemwalls with crawlspaces. For you folks that live in a home with a crawlspace, have you fond it necessary to reinforce the floor under the safe? Thanks.

Best regards, J
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top