Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 4:13:36 PM EDT
Well I finally got around to putting together a lot of cool stuff and thought I would post some pictures before it all goes out of style.  I must thank Wes and Paul at MSTN for MOST of what you see.  MSTN supplied almost all the parts and accessories I used, which was great as I didn't have to shop elsewhere for much, they are pretty much a one stop shop.  They also outright created or put together several of the uppers.  The SPR is all MSTN, and they also produced for me a custom Commando Upper and Colt Gray M4 upper.  Very few parts or services came from other companies though I must thank GG&G and Gemtech for some special work and parts, as well as Black Rifle Armory, Del-Ton, Legal Transfers, and several other companies and various board members who I bought parts from - special thanks to Bilbo for all the gray stuff.  Pictures to follow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the SPR that MSTN built for me.  Everything is pretty much actual mil-spec in configuration, as close as I could get at the time, with a few extras I added.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14086[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14087[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14088[/img]
SPR Mark 12 Mod 1.  Core: lower is a Bushmaster Preban, upper by MSTN.  Lower: Colt 4-pos CAR tube, Crane CAR stock, Ergo Overmolded RH Grip, Grip Gapper, KAC 2-stage Match Trigger, RRA Star Selector, KAC Match Semi Bolt Carrier, Fitted Bolt (by Compass Lake) modified with Crane Extractor Mod & latest Extractor Spring & Insert, Compass Lake 18” 1/8.? Twist SPR Barrel (SS Douglas), Ops. Inc. 2-port military Muzzle Brake with collar and thread protector, KAC Low Profile Gas Block, KAC FF RAS Long, KAC Front Flipup RAS Sight, KAC 600m Rear BUIS, PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle, ARMS #35 QD Scope Mount with Medium Rings, ARMS #22 Tactical Ring Cap and Rail, Leupold 3.5x10x40 M3 LR with IR, Butler Creek Silent Scope Flip Open Scope Covers (front is see through), KAC RAS Front, Rear, and Mid point QD Sling Swivels, Surefire M962C, Harris BRM-S Bipod with Pod-Loc handle, ARMS #32 QD Bipod Adaptor (Magazine is Black Teflon with Green Follower and Silicon Spring)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
M4 Clone.  I decided to stay with a 16" M4 barrel so I could change flash hiders at a later date if I wished or use an AWC HRT Suppressor.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15631[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15632[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15633[/img]
M4 Clone:  Lower is a preban Colt M6520, Upper (by MSTN) is a Colt Gray  M6700 with Colt 16” M4 1/9 twist barrel. Bushmaster 6-pos CAR Stock, Hogue Grip with storage compartment plug, Grip Gapper, RRA Star Selector, KAC 2-Stage Match Trigger, KAC Front, Midpoint, and Rear QD Sling Swivels, Vortex Flash Hider (original Style), PRI Front Flip BUIS,  ARM #40 Rear BUIS, KAC RAS II Forend, Surefire M900 Front Vertical Grip/Light combo (I alternately use a KAC vertical grip and Surefire M952C light), Trijicon TA11F on ARMS #19S mount, Late Style Colt improved Bolt Carrier Assy, Bolt modified with Crane extractor Mod and latest Spring and insert.

This was a special Colt "Gray" project.  The delta ring, flat top upper, and M4 carry handle (not pictured) are all original gray.  I may get it sent off for M4 feedramp cuts, but not necessary.  This upper did give me the ability to use a Bushmaster one piece pushpin front pivot pin instead of a two piece to adapt to my large pivot hole lower.  I got lucky on the fire control pin size, they were standard.  Still a slab side though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a shot of an M7 Bayonet from Prebanarms/Cuzco, which is modified for a 16" Barrel
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15628[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
My Green Gun.  It kind of looks like an SPR if I slap my SPR scope on top.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15623[/img]
Armalite M15A4(t) in 1/9 twist.  Green Armalite A2 stock, Hogue Green Grip, Storage Grip plug, Grip Gapper, OEM match trigger, RRA Star Selector, Bolt modified with Crane Extractor Mod and latest spring and insert, PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle, KAC Long RAS, KAC Green Grip Panels, KAC Front RAS QD Sling Swivel, GG&G Rear Flipup BUIS, GG&G Flipup Front Gas Block BUIS, Trijicon front and rear Night Sights, Trijicon ACOG TA11F, ARMS #19S ACOG Mount, Surefire M962C, Harris BRM-S Bipod with Pod-Loc handle, ARMS #32 QD Bipod adaptor.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is my M16 with the first custom upper I got for it.  The original configuration was a 14.5" (non-M4 of course) CAR with 2 position stock.

M16 Core: Colt M16A1 Lower, KAC Match Full Auto Trigger, Ergo Overmolded RH Grip, Grip Gapper, Bushmaster 6-pos CAR stock.

My first upper by Bushmaster
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15624[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15625[/img]
Blaster Commando: Bushmaster HB 11.5” 1/9 twist Fluted, Gemtech Bi-lock Flash Hider/QD Suppressor Mt. pictured with Gemtech M4-96D QD Suppressor, KAC Site Tower front QD Sling Swivel, A2 Hand guards, C-More A2 Red Dot sight, PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle, Colt B/C Assy with Crane Extractor mod and latest Spring and Insert, Buffer used with this configuration is the new Rate Reducing buffer from Black Rifle Armory.

Here is a more updated upper, built for me by MSTN.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15626[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15627[/img]
Commando Upper by MSTN: Core is Colt 11.5” 1/7 twist LW Commando Upper, KAC FF RAS Short, KAC RAS Front, Rear, & Midpoint QD Sling Swivels, Full Chrome Match Bolt & Bolt carrier assy with Crane Extractor Mod & Latest Spring and Insert, Gemtech Bi-lock Flash Hider (QD Suppressor Mount) (A2 F/H pictured), GG&G Flipup front BUIS with Bayo Lug, ARMS #40 Rear BUIS, PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle, PRI Fat Boy Gas Tube, ARMS #22M68 with Cantilever Extension, Aimpoint CompM2 Red Dot sight, Falcon (Ergo) 11deg raked rubber covered Vertical front Grip with storage compartment, Surefire M951SU06, in the shop for repair but normally mounted on the other side would be my Surefire L72 Laser mounted to a M952SU06.

M4:  (Not Pictured) Colt 14.5" M4 1/9 twist standard upper, M4 hand guards, PRI Fat Boy Gas Tube, PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle, GG&G Front BUIS, Trijicon Night Sights, Vortex Tactical Flash Hider (new style).  Just now getting this upper back from GG&G.  I went with the GG&G front BUIS on this one so I could have a bayonet lug, which I wanted because this is the only upper that I have that can take standard bayonets (which we all need, right?)

Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
First, let me say that you have a very nice collection. Second, it must be nice to have money.[;)]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I know, I suck at taking pictures (I shoot guns, not pictures) so sorry for the quality and lighting/shadows.

The great part about these guns and accessories is that everything I have is pretty much modular and quick detach, allowing me to throw together many different configurations quickly as my tastes suit.  Yes the optics would not be zeroed if I swap it to a different rifle, but you understand what I mean.

Check out my happy family.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15620[/img]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15621[/img]
The suppressor is just stuck on the A2 flash hider, but I am having a Gemtech Bi-lock mounted for the real thing.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15622[/img]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
So what am I working on now?  I am putting together a rifle MYSELF!  And I decided to make it a Super Lightweight project.  Here is the lower in very close proximatey to a different upper, could not actually attach it since I am building a post ban.  The picture is primary to show the lower I started.  Will post pics when done.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=15629[/img]
What I got for it at the moment: RRA Lower with ARFX Stock, Hogue Grip with storage compartment plug and Grip Gapper, KAC 2-stage Match Trigger, Bushmaster Super Lightweight bbl Assy (16” 1/9), KAC front site tower QD Sling Swivel, A2 Hand Guards, Trijicon Compact ACOG (24-4) 1.5x24 with high ring mount, GG&G Rear BUIS

Still need the upper and small parts.

Final comment:  Yes, it took a crap load of money and a couple years to put this stuff together.  I don't work up here in Barrow Alaska for the fresh air (just the $$$).  I'm pretty much out of money as I was never rich to start with.  This is why my project rifle is still waiting on parts.  Might as well get some bragging rights after what I did manage to spend.

If I hadn't been introduced to AR15 Forums, none of this would have happened (a good/bad thing), and I wouldn't know much at all about AR15's.  I have gained a lot of knowledge from reading posts, and from talking to other members.  MSTN in particular provided more help and knowledge than you can know.  I think without MSTN, most of this would never have gotten put together or acquired.

And I'm not finished yet, but I got to go earn some more $$$ before I can finish.  I already did the unthinkable and sold my original M16 and 6520 uppers (sniff!).  You'll soon be seeing some posts from me selling all the extra parts I ended up with, as well as stuff I ended up not using.  Mayble then, I'll get the SLW project completed.  Would you believe I am enlisting the help of another ARF member I met on the board who actually lives up here too?  How bizarre...
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep hearing that the economy is bad. Did someone forget to tell you? Very nice firearms though.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Impressive collection to say the least, Mike. I'm green with envy over all your cool toys.[:)]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me say this about Mike. He may have spent a small fortune on his collection, but he is also one of the most generous people I have had the good fortune to meet. Thanks for sharing your collection. Cool stuff, & it's the collection I would like mine to emulate. Excuse me now, while I get the mop so I can clean up all my drool![:D]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
dude you suck! [;)]  very nice man.  i am extremely jealous.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#13]
[headbang]Now that collection ROCKS!! [headbang]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#14]
absolutely awesome collection!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Mike
YOU DA MAN!
I understand your not trying to advertise for the folks at MSTN but the pics you posted and your satisfaction with the product where the best advertising any dealer on here could hope for.
I think I just found another place to spend my money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Excuse my ignorance, but who is MSTN??  Do they have a website?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#17]
That collection of accessories is making my head spin![:P]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#18]
WE'RE NOT WORTHY...WE'RE NOT WORTHY LOL!  Nice stuff, dude.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]
WOW! You basically took the direction I would have taken if I had money to burn,burn,burn!
Outstanding collection, Man!
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First, let me say that you have a very nice collection. Second, it must be nice to have money.[;)]
View Quote

Gotta say it again.  I don't have money, it's spent now, and it was plastic money to begin with - I'll be paying for this stuff for a long while to come.  I earned it and spent it when the economy wasn't so bad.  The 6520 and M16 I got when I was a Class III dealer (got out a few years back).  The M16 was $2200 in 1994.

What's still on my must-have/wish list?  A Rick Khuel Precision .22LR upper, A Shrike belt fed upper for the M16, and I still want a SIR Slim Line Bi-level/KAC URX/PRI Midlength Forend (yes, I like all three!) in a mid-length set up.  Don't forget the IR laser and Night Vision gear... I fear that it will never end.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#21]
[8D]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Hardcore cool [):)]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Excuse my ignorance, but who is MSTN??  Do they have a website?
View Quote

MSTN is the AR parts & accessories equivalent of a high class dope pusher. They get you hooked with their great products and even BETTER customer service, an then you just keep going back for more, spending $$ that you probably should not be spending in the first place. Dont say I didnt warn you.

[url]www.MSTN.biz[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Just curious - well rather intrigued actually who makes and what is and where did you get that rail attachment from the top rail on your upper receiver to the top rail on your handguards ?? It appears to be part of the handguard , but I'll let you enlighten me. Thanks bro' Sweet set up
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Wes and Paul @ MSTN are the Ferrari dealers of the AR15 world. They dont even cater to the econo-line market. Everything they have/use/shoot/build/advertise/sell etc is absolutely the top of the line.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They get you hooker....
View Quote

They have hookers too?? [shock]

Like I havent spent enough money on [b]gun[/b] shit with them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:56:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Each time I log onto MSTN's website I can swear I hear my credit card let out a little scream ......Ditto what Hawkeye posted!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They get you hooker....
View Quote

They have hookers too?? [shock]

Like I havent spent enough money on [b]gun[/b] shit with them.
View Quote

Perv.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Mike,
Is MSTN where you got the Crane CAR stock? It`s something I would like to get for my collection.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just curious - well rather intrigued actually who makes and what is and where did you get that rail attachment from the top rail on your upper receiver to the top rail on your handguards ?? It appears to be part of the handguard , but I'll let you enlighten me. Thanks bro' Sweet set up
View Quote

Hammerdrop, that's just an illusion.  The C-More sight is mounted to the carry handle only, and has a small nubbin/tip that rests and indexes on one of the ventilation holes on the A2 handguard, though there is no real pressure.  This is acutually why I have to use the A2 handguards as standard M4 handguards will not fit with that C-More model (I bought it before M4's existed, current versions probably work with the M4 version though).  I seem to recall someone marketing an extension for the A2 carryhandle that gives you a projected rail out over the handguard to give you what you may want (which I would play with myself if I had another A2 receiver and no money for a forend system).

Quoted:
Mike,
Is MSTN where you got the Crane CAR stock? It`s something I would like to get for my collection.
View Quote

I got the Crane stock while perusing subguns.com at [url]subguns.biggerhammer.net[/url] (one of the finest machinegun boards in existance).  I believe the same source may have supplied [url]blackriflearmory.com[/url] with some units.  They are still quite rare though I just spotted one for sale on the Equipment Exchange a day or few ago.  The price was heinous, though I ended up getting a new Colt buffer, tube, and spring for free - which helped a little.

I must say this about the Crane Stock - yes, it feels great, great features abound.  However, I bought it at a time when there wasn't much competition, but that has changed with the Veltor (sp?), Magpul stock, and others.  Not to mention, a couple of months after I bought it the rumors popped out that they may soon be available at a reduced price from up to three other companies (one of which is MSTN, naturally).  My suggestion would be to wait a while longer (worth the $$$ savings), or consider some of the other cool stocks that have just come out...

Thanks to all for the cool praise.  I basically bought that praise.  You can too, quite simply all one must do is sell their soul for a high limit credit card, then you hand that card to MSTN and they will take care of the rest...
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#31]
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=166810&w=myTopicPop]Today's commentary on the Crane stock v. Vltor[/url]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm glad Wes and MSTN are the Ferrari of the AR15 world. I can't remember a time ever saying "He let's go check out those Yugos".

Great collection!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#33]
DUDE!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Which gas block(s) are you using on the first two rifles?  Out of the front BUIS's ...which is you fav?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Very nice collection!  Definitely what I call, "In the ranks of SMGlee and NewArguy." [hail2]

For a while I was watching some of your purchases like the gray flattop on EE, and wondering what you were up to.   I knew it was something good!  

On the HappyFamily pic, is that a compact Acog in front of the TA11- What's the thing hanging down from it?  I can't figure out what mount it is since it doesn't look flush.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Which gas block(s) are you using on the first two rifles?  Out of the front BUIS's ...which is you fav?
View Quote

The first one (SPR) uses a KAC Low Profile Gas Block.  Don't be confused by the Ops. Inc. 2-port collar that you see on the barrel before the brake - that a mount for their suppressor.  You can't actually see the gas block because it is under the RAS handguard. It's very nice and trim, KG'd black for me. If the second rifle you are talking about is the green Armalite, that came with a gas block with picatinny rail.  I have the detachable sight tower but pictured on it is a GG&G Flip front BUIS on it, a little nicer than the Bushy unit I think.  The others are either a PRI or GG&G Flip.

Quoted:
For a while I was watching some of your purchases like the gray flattop on EE, and wondering what you were up to. I knew it was something good!

On the HappyFamily pic, is that a compact Acog in front of the TA11- What's the thing hanging down from it? I can't figure out what mount it is since it doesn't look flush.
View Quote

Wow, very observant of you.  Yes, the plan was to build an M4 large hole upper so I could use a push pin. All this because I started with a large pivot pin Colt Gov't Carbine. Using an adaptor pin sucked.  I was also trying to match the original gray of the gov't carbine.  I scored original gray FT upper, delta ring, M4 carry handle (special run), and charging handle though I went with a PRI gas buster cause I'm crazy like that.

Yes, in front of the TA11 is a 1.5x24 compact ACOG to go on my SLW project.  It looks funny because it is not the flat top version, but the special ring version.  Why?  Because it's such a handy little scope that I thought I may try it on a Mini-14 or other .223 rifle, plus if I am going to stick something on my carry handle, ACOG-wise, it's a lot less bulk.  Attached to the compact ACOG in the picture is the HIGH RING MOUNT which uses a thumbwheel.  There is a medium and low mount as well.  The medium does not clear the standard sights, and the high goes just above.  A little goofy looking, but works fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#37]
VERY nice collection.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top