Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2003 8:37:56 AM EDT
I have introduced my 7 year old to the AR.  He LOVES it.  Virtually no recoil, cheap shells, nice bang, good reaction at the target when appropriate targets are used.  In my mind, everything a young person would love about shooting.  Of course I am monitoring extensively.  It was amazing to watch him shoot 12ga shells at 40 yds last weekend!!  He was also shooting those 10" targets that leave flourescent bullet holes at 150 yds.  I know that isn't much for the gun, but for a 7 year old I was extatic.  Anyone else have any good kid stories??  

Hey, and another thing.  Now I have to get him his own gun!  My 20" Bushy with a heavy barrel is a bit too big for him :-)  Figuring on the RRA Entry Tactical with the stubby stock.  

I can see it now.  "Come on sweetie, he really needs his OWN AR!!!!"

Oh well
Doc
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
 "Come on sweetie, he really needs his OWN AR!!!!"
View Quote

Great post up until I read that!
Man, you don't ask this shit. You do it.
Anyhow, its great thing you are teaching your kids the firearm experience and safety.

I applaud you!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#2]
While at the last AR15.com sponsered shoot, the new director of the parks and rec. showed up since she is also responsible for the range.
Well,lo and behold her and her boy had never shot before.
By the end of the day KBaker and myself had her and her boy putting rounds down range.(Her first comment when she got to the range was "I hate guns, they scare me").
His last comment was, "can we stay and shoot some more?". [:D]

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
 It was amazing to watch him shoot 12ga shells at 40 yds last weekend!!  He was also shooting those 10" targets that leave flourescent bullet holes at 150 yds.  Doc
View Quote

I gotta practice more! That is awesome!

Some of the best memories I have are of me and my Dad shooting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#4]
DocGP, that stubby stock *might* get his face a little closer than you want...it more or less puts your nose right on the charging handle, and makes the recoil fell a lot more intense...probably do to the shorter buffer spring and travel.  

Maybe try an A1 length, or get the stubby and use the KA stock spacer.   I'm worried that if the recoil characteristics change, and are closer to his face, he might not enjoy it as much.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
>>>DocGP, that stubby stock *might* get his face a little closer than you want...it more or less puts your nose right on the charging handle, and makes the recoil fell a lot more intense...probably do to the shorter buffer spring and travel.

Maybe try an A1 length, or get the stubby and use the KA stock spacer. I'm worried that if the recoil characteristics change, and are closer to his face, he might not enjoy it as much. <<<

Thanks Fenian,

I will check that out.  Hadn't thought of that.  He's pretty gung ho, but if it bothers him, we can always add on.

Doc

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top