Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 6:09:21 PM EDT
I'm looking to a 9MM conversion for my Bushmaster AR-15, but I have a few quick questions...

Is converting my Bushmaster to 9MM as easy as buying a new upper from here:

http://www.dalphon.com/conv.html

grabbing some sten clips and an adapter:

http://www.socommfg.com

and grabbing some ammo? Or is there a huge amount of other things I would need to do?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. You may also have to get a 9mm hammer, but I am not sure.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The Olympic (Dalphon)9mm upper uses a standard hammer. The Colt style 9mm will need a 9mm hammer or one with the rounded top (no step in front). Also I believe if you get the Colt style bolt ramped you can use a standard hammer. I think I'll be sending my Colt bolt out for ramping, it just broke the hammer pin on the center retaining groove after about 2000 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a lot of people seem to be responding to posts on 9MM conversions. Is this not a popular caliber to switch to?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Yuo might want to try the rimfire and pistol caliber conversion forum aunder the ar-15 forums!

Justin
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 9mm Parabellum round...

I wouldn't say it's "popular"....it's just used by almost every free world nation in some aspect, but it's not the prefered round in a combat situation...Most special forces have come to realize this, and have moved away from the H&K MP5.

I really love the price of the though...100rnds of winchester for 10 bucks at every wal-mart
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The biggest plus is price to me. Also in the winter at indoor ranges it's fun to shoot. The cheap Sten mags can be shortened up real easy to 15-20 rounds. I did pop a muskrat in the bean field next to the house awhile back with a Silver Bear 115 gr. HP at about 40yds. It opened the little guy up real nice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Not popular. Then why would Olympic, ASA, Rock River Arms, Colt, all make 9mm rifles?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The reason I'm curious about this 9MM conversion is because when I go off to college, there is a shooting range extremely close by. However, it's a strictly indoor range and I believe only allows the smaller and less destructive calibers.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes it is that easy. The magazine block might need a bit of hand fitting. All else should work. Keep in mind Dalphon only re-sells what Olympic arms makes. No reason to buy from him over direct from Oly Arms unless he beats thier dealer price.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:37:22 AM EDT
[#10]
RoryDiffin,

The hammer shouldn’t be an issue as the Colt 635 uses a standard M-16 hammer. Also as PAPPYO mentioned, you might want to have the bolt “ramped” if it isn’t already. I don’t know why Colt didn’t do this in the first place but it is a good idea.

Where are you going to go to school? I just got out, now I have to buy more guns…

Best Regards, J
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm looking to a 9MM conversion for my Bushmaster AR-15, but I have a few quick questions...

Is converting my Bushmaster to 9MM as easy as buying a new upper from here:

http://www.dalphon.com/conv.html

grabbing some sten clips and an adapter:

http://www.socommfg.com

and grabbing some ammo? Or is there a huge amount of other things I would need to do?
View Quote

Yes its that easy, I have the same set up you are describing except I have a flat top with OKO glass, sweet. To find what you are looking for may be as easy as contacting Stokes, one of the Mods. If you get one let me know and I will give you some Sten mag loading tips.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I have to agree with Lockedon.  I've always thought the bullet was squirrely and unpredictable.  Even in an MP-5 (which is a great weapon) I don't like the bullet.  I generally caried a "sawed off" 870 for entries (we didn't have M-4's yet and I HATED Styer AUG's.

I did use a USP in 9mm as a tactical handgun for two reasons.  At the time, they (H&K - USP) were the leaders in intergating a lighiting system into the weapon frame.  That is absolutely critical (in my book) in SWAT scenarios.

The second reason was, for some unexplained reason, even thought I didn't like the bullet, I could hit like a son-of-a bitch with it.  And I was certain that if some asshole somehow got one of my guys, or a civilian, between me and him/her, he/she would be center punched right in the forehead 100 out of 100 times (at interior structure distances).

If you don't hit the target, or if you hit the WRONG target (God forbid), stopping power, etc., doesn't have much bearing in the argument.

In that respect, I even loved my MP more, in that I could tripple punch a three shot burst into a BG's forehead all day long, with one eyeball tied behind my back (don't try this at home).  

Which is perfect in a guy's living room!  But I wouldn't take one to Iraq.  Actually I would TAKE one, but it would be a special assignment type of application thing.      

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#13]
JTR8541, I'm heading off to Utica College in New York. I was checking the NRA's list of shooting ranges recently, and I found that there is a shooting range only 15 minutes away from the college. Lucky me eh?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top