Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 9:41:23 AM EDT
I'm in the process of setting up a LW Colt A2 carbine upper for a tactical carbine course, which will include  nightime shooting requiring a flashlight. I already bought a TAC M3 light with pressure pad from Elite Firearms a few months back, but haven't actually mounted and used it...

As I have an M5 RAS on one of my 20" uppers, I know how good KAC stuff is. I also know how pricey it is.

Soooo, the $100 question is, is the Fobus carbine handguards of decent quality in terms of heat dissipation and mounting accessories such as a foregrip and light? I won't be putting optics on it.

Another (cheapest) option is simply buying a quick detach 1" ring system which simply attaches to the standard handguards. DSA offers this for $34. Mounting position would be limited to the bottom of the 'guards only.

At this point, I'm leaning towards buying a RIS setup, but $200 buys a lot of ammo.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Fobus/First Samco 2-rail handgaurds on my RRA LE M4 carbine and mostly use only the fobus vertical grip. The handguards and solid, well built and the vertical grip is very firmly and solidly attached.  Now I have not buttstroked anyone with this rifle or crashed into anything, dropped it, etc... but the vertical grip is nice and the handguards are very good quality I only wish I would have gone ahead and sprung for the 4 rail version.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I own the Fobus M33 (2 railed) handguards and I think they are all the railed handguard system one could need.  I can justify the two rails at 6 and 12 oclock but what do you need the 3 and 9 for?  They will end up covered up thus being a waste of space and weight.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I own the Fobus M33 (2 railed) handguards and I think they are all the railed handguard system one could need.  I can justify the two rails at 6 and 12 oclock but what do you need the 3 and 9 for?  They will end up covered up thus being a waste of space and weight. In addition at the price of the Fobus handguards you will have over $200 remaining to invest in optics, ammo, mutual funds or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Though I do not have any experience with the Fobus handguards other than handling them a few times, I can't say that I have heard anything bad about them either. However, for $85-$100 you could get a FIRSH which does everything you've mentioned (dissipate heat, provide rail mounts) plus free-floats the barrel.

Good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top