Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 4:50:43 PM EDT
Ok, for the past 4 months I have been doing my homework like you wouldnt beleive, I have narrowed it down to either the bushmaster m4-A3with mini-y,  or the fixed stock carbine with A3 handle and no muzzle break. So, I need help, price difference between the two has no influence, I want o know if the m4-a3 is going to be accurate enough for some shooting at the range, now I am not looking for shooting tight groups i just wanna hit my target t about 2-300 yards, maybe the very, very occasianal cyote, I am building a tactical rifle, most people have said go with the m4-a3, no I know the mini-y is loud, but I dont care, I just want to make sure this rifle will hit it's mark, will it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
This rifle will hit it's mark and then some.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I had this same dilemma a few months ago.  To me, the basic difference was a 14.5" vs. a 16" barrel.  Even though a 'tactical' rifle is not going to be shot at >100 yards, and the velocity drop from 14.5" to 16" is not much (see ammo-oracle), I still went with the 16".  If you are going for 200-300 yards, then I would definitely go for the 16" because the velocity drop and consequent effect on fragmentation will make a difference.  But I wouldn't be concerned about hitting the target at that range with either rifle.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
well 300 may be stretching it i guess, the only range around here is 100 yards
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The M4A3 will hit the mark and then some.  I have one and it is good to go.  The flattop upper will allow you to mount any kind of optic you like.  A good bit of advice is to master the iron sights then work on optics.

Good luck

Max

[marines]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
yes, I will do my best with Iron sights, besides how could I save for a M2 when I spitting lead outta this thing all the time, lol
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with the straight 16" if for no other reason than the break (not brake) you will give not only your ears but everyone else's who may be around when you shoot it. The Mini-Y brake is unecessary... .223 just doesn't have that much recoil and muzzle rise to begin with... and it will make the rifle brutally loud.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#7]
An all-around rifle is hard to find.

(1) Must have rugged reliability. This means forged receiver, chromed lined barrel.

(2) Must be accurate enough to put a round through a fleas ass at 300 yards.

(3) Must be able to go quickly to optics, and back to iron sights again, with repeatable zero.

(4) Barrel cannot be longer than 20" for tight quarters.

The brand doesn't matter, and neither does stock type.

I like the BUSHMASTER 20" A3, with an ARMALITE scope mount, and large scope. It'll go from a good tactical rifle to a varmint rifle with the twists of a couple of thumbscrews.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I still went with the 16".  

View Quote

And I for one believe that was a smart move.  I had two 14.5" AR's and have sold both and intend to stay at the 16" minimum barrel length.  Hopefully I'll never use one of my AR's for any real work but...............  .  

(Now if an ArmaLite AR-18S were to come on the market at an affordable price I do reserve the right to make an exception !!  [:D])
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#10]
well I could always put a fake collapsable stock on later, that brings up this question, If and when the ban expires could I put a real collapable stock on here?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't get a fake collapsible if I could help it.  And yes you could put a real collapsible on if the ban sunsets and no new ones prohibiting them go into effect.
You might want to check your local laws before you do it though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I for one recently purchased a 14.5" Bushmaster M4A3...

I love it. I'd DEFINATELY reccommend it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
well I could always put a fake collapsable stock on later, that brings up this question, If and when the ban expires could I put a real collapable stock on here?
View Quote

There's nothing wrong with a "fake" collapsible stock. Other than storage, "real" collapsible stocks are used fully extended anyway (unless you're leo with armor on).
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Go for the regular stock with no muzzle break.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top