Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2003 8:31:13 AM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a Bushmaster and recently saw an article about Les Baers. His 'custome' equivalent is about 3x the price on the varminter. Why? Is the Bushmaster a good choice and accurate or will I be sorry I didn't spend more???
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I have seen the Les Baers first hand and they are definitely nice.  I also own a Varminter.  I have heard a lot of mixed reaction to the Baer line, some think its worth it and some don't.

Honestly, I don't think you will ever regret spending a dime on the Varminter.  It is a sweet rifle and, as someone else here once put it, it is scary accurate and very easy to be accurate with.  As far as the Les Baer, you may never regret it either.  I think it all boils down to two things:

A) If there was a .25 MOA difference between the guns (and I don't believe there is), are you good enough to realize it?  In other words, if the worst of the two can do .25 to .5 inch groups religiously, is that enough for you?

B) How serious a shooter are you?  How often will you use it and in what environment?  In other words, if you spent $3k do you think you would get your money's worth out of it?

Personally, if forced to have only one, I would choose the Varminter.  (actually, I did and I don't regret it for a second)  But that's just me...
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, I think you've saved me $2000!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
love my Varminter
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I just purchased a Bushmaster Varmint Special. Rock solid rifle. You won't regret it. [beer]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]
My Varminter shoots great.  The other rifles at much more simply are not worth it at least to me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with everything said here.  I really think a Les Baer is more like a status symbol kind of thing.  My varminter is more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
One more for the Varminter.  At 100 yards off a bipod I can usually shoot the numbers out of the target rings on the first attempt.  (Numbers are about 1/8" - 3/16" tall).
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the Bushmaster Varminter is worth every penny. I own three of them. 2 Regular Varminters and 1 DCM/A2 Varminter, custom built by Bushmaster.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568[/img]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifles, Brat.  I have one myself and love it.  Having another would be great!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I also have a very accurate Varminter. My only (minor) complaint is my Bushie 2 stage trigger, which is a bit inconsistent. Damn gun will still consistently put 3 shots touching at 100 yds with a couple of my first attempts at reloads for it (both a 53gr HPM and a 69gr HPBTM). I think the Varminter is a bargin for the accuracy it delivers.

I recently shot 5 rds of Q3131 at 300 yds under field conditions. The group was about 2.5 inches. Pretty decent for milspec ammo which doesn't shoot anywheres near as well as my reloads.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Brat......where did ya get the lowers from?????? HAHAHAHA.  I wish you would donate one of those Bushy Varminters to me, surely a man doesn't need THREE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How ya been?  Haven't seen you around here much latley.

JH94
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Just made a trade on a new Bushmaster Varminter Special this afternoon. Got to go to the DOG HOUSE and give her a good prefire cleaning and lots of T.L.C. Ya got to love that 24" flutted barrel and the N/M trigger!!
Can't wait to get to the range and do the load testing.
Who needs a third wife when you have EBR's.
They like me and my WICKED A-- ways.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey Brat......where did ya get the lowers from?????? HAHAHAHA.  I wish you would donate one of those Bushy Varminters to me, surely a man doesn't need THREE OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How ya been?  Haven't seen you around here much latley.

JH94
View Quote

If I remember correctly, there was a guy from North East Texas that sold them to me.....how ya doing John? I've been taking real good care of the two lowers, even-though they look a little different from the last time you've seen them.

If you come to GunStock, you can shoot them all you want.

My absence has been caused by work and being part of the Event Staff for GunStock...but I'm always lurking on the board.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top