Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2003 1:50:53 PM EDT

Followed by:

Followed by:

...As I very subtly looked left and right to see if anyone else on the line noticed it.  (conversations about multi-round bursts are interesting things in NJ)  The first thing that went through my mind was 'Oh great, I just can't wait for the peanut gallery to come running up screaming THAT'S NOT LEGAL!'

I was very surprised when it happened though.  I knew it sounded and felt wrong I thought I saw more than one shiny brass thing bounce off the post I was sitting next to.  I looked down on the table to the right of the weapon and, sure enough, there were two cases sitting there.

I do believe this was 'shooter induced' as I was executing a painfully slow trigger pull.  As soon as the second stage broke I could feel that I had the trigger in a sort of 'in-between' position when it doubled.  It happened only once and I fired several more mags before I was done.

For a minute there, I felt soooooo rebellious!
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
New Colt with stock trigger?

Happened to me once.  It was in a match and I got an aliby for it.  A guy there asked me the same question.  I was new to the game and told me to clean the trigger engagement surfaces with lighter fluid and don't oil them.  Keep them dry.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Those damn match grade triggers do it every time. My AR10 will double on me also.

A slow pull and a two stage trigger are destined for a double...
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had the same thing happen before.  I was doing a slow trigger pull while resting the handguard on a shooting bag.  I realized I was pulling fwd on the handguard while squeezing the trigger.  This works just like "bump firing"...the gun recoils back, then you pull it fwd against the finger on the trigger.  Nobody even noticed es'ept me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The very few times that I've had doubles it came from what was probably improper bench technique.    My rifle is pretty minor in recoil due to the JP Enterprises muzzle brake along with VERY heavy weight of 15 pounds unloaded.    It's so light recoiling that a person can loosen up their hold on the rifle quite a bit where with a higher recoiling rifle they'd get punished for attempting such a thing.

Well, I figure what happened when I got my doubles was a sort of "bounce technique" type of double.   Where the trigger broke and the gun recoiled backwards only to start to move forward again after the trigger had reset.   The result was very similar to what I've experienced while "bouncing" my sks.    Only with my JP Enterprises rifle it sent the 2 shots downrange with rediculous accuracy, first round obliterated the squirrel I was shooting at and the 2nd shot was likely only 2-3 inches away from the first one.

I wonder how many of the doubles out there are the fault of the trigger specifically and how many of them are part shooter induced from not having a solid enough shooting position similar to what I experienced?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those damn match grade triggers do it every time. My AR10 will double on me also.

A slow pull and a two stage trigger are destined for a double...
View Quote

Only for you untrained bump monkeys! [:D]

(Sorry pickupdan!)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If it was a match trigger, you probably bump-fired it without knowing...

[:D]

really easy to do.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top