Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 10:12:41 AM EDT
I have a really good job waiting in cali if i want it, i have a couple of ARs and some others goodies. since i already own the ARS can i transfer them down there?
Who would i contact to get the tranfer papers?
and what would be the cost?
I have read some posts here about not being able to buy them down there but if i have them already and im not going to get rid of them anytime soon I'd like to take them with me, since there part of the family now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't move to Kalifornia for a FREE house, + a FREE car, & a GOOD JOB... the politics just SUCK too bad.  My QUALITY of life (having machineguns) is among the most important aspects of where I live.  San Diego IS a nice place to visit though.  Just MHO & my $.02.  -TF
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

can i transfer them down there?
View Quote

If you are active duty military yes

If not......no way, no how.  There are no loopholes.  They have to stay.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Or if you look at it from a Kalifornian's point of view.  We could use another voting power here.  

Yes, Kalifornia is a crappy place if you are a gun owner, but for everything else, it is great place to live.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I would move to hell before I moved to California.  I don't care if they paid me $500,000 a year, you will never see me in California.  Sorry if you find this to be smartass because I don't mean it, I'm just trying to help you from making a serious mistake.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
i stay with my ARs, screw california then. i figured i could at least tranfer them down there legally but it would cost a bunch of money. wow i didnt know californians had their head up there asses so far. too bad , i guess i stay up here in oregon and enjoy the rain some more.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Southern California is about as worthless as a steaming pile of shit.  I lived there for 2 years in the military.  You'd have to pay me $1 million a year salary to move there and then I'd only do it for a couple years, take my profits and get the hell out.  I don't know anything about Northern Cali except that SF is full of fags (another reason not to move there).
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Southern California is about as worthless as a steaming pile of shit.  I lived there for 2 years in the military.  You'd have to pay me $1 million a year salary to move there and then I'd only do it for a couple years, take my profits and get the hell out.  I don't know anything about Northern Cali except that SF is full of fags (another reason not to move there).
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The cost of living is probably higher than where you are now, somewhat negating the extra income. California is also unfriendly to Classic car enthusiasts/collectors, common sense, liberty, freedom, etc. [nuts]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Good choice. Don't sell your sould to the devil for anything less than a MG.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I suppose if you lived just inside the OR or AZ border (pick one), & your job were just on the other side in no-mans-land, you could commute. Chances are, that's not the case.

I know a few who up & left CA solely because of its impending registration scheme (count me). I'm also sure more than a [i]few[/i] there became part of the great black-gun underground. Of course, money matters, & if I had to move there to secure a good job & didn't want to give my stuff up, I'd probably cache it all someplace secure ([u]good[/u] & [u]trustworthy[/u] friend, in a safe in a storage facility, etc.), & do w/o them (save the innocuous HG or castrated rifle) until I could bug out to someplace safe & sane in the future.

The choice may not be as easy as it seems, but if you're not in dire straights & have other options, I'd [b]strongly[/b] recommend looking for work elsewhere. California has become overrun w/ irresponsible politicians, & the core of its voting populace (LA, SF, SD, Sac) seems to be of the ilk that externalizes blame for its internal problems. PG&E's near death is only the most obvious case in point. I lived there for 27 years & PG&E was a bedrock utility co., but Davis & co. sill managed to wither it. Consistent w/ their externalizing mentality, I'm sure they'd like to force the rest of the union to bail them out of that financial [i]faux pax[/i].

High cost of living, political antagonism & corruption, a wildly slanted press... If you have to go there, don't expect a peaceful existence. Although, I'm sure the Sacremento gov't will appreciate your contribution to that state's much-needed debt recovery.

I just couldn't tolerate it anymore.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I won't even drive through Kali.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for your posts, im not goin down there for sure now, i would only gain about one third a year of salary so it not worth to me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
No amount of money could get me to move to Kalifornication.  I could think of many better places first.  North Korea comes to mind.

Just hold of, couple more of them good ol earthquakes ( or the earth trying to clean itself of a nasty virus as I call them in this case) and you can get your ocean front property in AZ after all.

California needs to succeed from the union.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No amount of money could get me to move to Kalifornication.  I could think of many better places first.  North Korea comes to mind.

Just hold of, couple more of them good ol earthquakes ( or the earth trying to clean itself of a nasty virus as I call them in this case) and you can get your ocean front property in AZ after all.

California needs to succeed from the union.
View Quote

No ammount of money?

Sheeeeooot, I'd move there for a million a year, and also have a residence somewhere else where I could keep and use my guns/toys.

I already have had a few offers for jobs out there, paying 3x to 4x my current salary for the same position. I've considered doing that for a few years, while keeping my current residence here as well. Figured I could make a ton of money, and have a home paid for anywhere in the US I wanted to move to afterwards.

I think it'd take about 200k a year, heh. That's close to the top of the payscale for my age/profession, even in CA (altho NYC it wouldn't be too much of a stretch).

Suffering thru 5 years or so of BS to come out of it well ahead could just be worth it, if I could survive the 5 years.

and I'm not in any way condoning this next statement, just a simple observation:

If all the illegals can manage to sneak themselves into CA every year, I can't imagine it'd be THAT hard to sneak a few AR's into the state.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys are full of it!This weekend I went to huntington beach for a campfire and thirty minuets later I was at angeles crest bombing wison road in my car. I love this state and I got all the guns I need.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]
We stayed in PRK because we had to; financially it didn't make any sense to leave sooner. But once I'm gone, I'll never move back. For one, 6 months after I move the difference in the two states' real estate growth rates would prohibit the move back, and two, I hate the politics, attitude, and lifestyle.

Don't forget, this is not an AWB state in theory--it's that way in practice. The laws prohibiting assault weapons have no loopholes. No 'assault weapon' can be made PRK-legal after the deadline (Jan02) --that's trucked in, gifted, sold, inherited, nor imported. The goal of the law was to legally eliminate this weapon in one generation. I can't wait to leave; I'm short and counting the days.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's my take on things; do move here, but leave your AR's behind -- FOR THE MOMENT.

Your wages will be higher here, and so will your cost of living.  However, cheap(er) accommodations and food is around.  You may have to live like an illegal immigrant for awhile but you will SAVE a whole lotta cash.

After a few years (two, three), you bug outta here with your cash and be able to put a nice downpayment on a house in OR, and may even have some leftover for some NFA toys.

I can't leave just yet but my accountant (also a gunnie) tells me that this is the place for squirelling away cash since you make so much of it relatively speaking.

Yes, the laws suck and sometimes you wonder why you're here (I do) but there are a lot of right-minded folks here still and they'll make your life bearable.  Besides, you're not here to stay, just to suck up a little of the gravy then you're gone.

slipjoint
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]
if you are already here (and been here for a long time) and have them registerd.  It's a pretty nice place to live.  Stay here we need the votes.

AW's - You can't legally bring them in.  

Cost of living is comparable to most places since market pressures keep prices down with two major exceptions.  Housing - Housing in any nice area is still going ridiculous and climbing although slower.  Gas is higher - we got bunches of taxes on it and the special blends that raise the price some. Commuting can be a bear.  That salary differential may not be enough to make the difference worth it.

Now we got real mountains, real deserts, real beaches, etc.  You can shoot at outdoor ranges all year round in most of the state.  Yah wanna know about CA ask the CA'ns.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Im buying a house here in oregon right now and would have to sell it, i dont think its worth it to move down there.
i seen on the news that some california laywer was trying to outlaw oreo's, i cant move to a state that has no oreos AND no ARs.
seems like there are to many liberals and people that will let themselves be walked on and let stupid laws be passed. i cant join in on that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#20]
You guys have got in wrong.  I lived there for 22 years, (active duty).  Go enjoy the California life style.  And just to make your move eisier send me all your weapons I will take care of them for you until you return to the United States.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#21]
If you do move to California,   leave before it makes you soft....  

Prosise
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I have some extra space in my vault if you want to store your ARs with me untill your return from that communist nation.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't do it!

Unless your firearms of choice are; revolver, bolt gun and black powder. There may be others that are still legal there, but they are working on fixing that. I'm originally from CA. As others have said, I do not intend to move back, ever.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#24]
PaDanby & slipjoint, I lived in LA from '68 to late '71.  Shell premium was $.28/gal., a 2 bedroom apt. near Hancock Park cost me $325/mo., and I bought a Colt SP-1 for $225 at the Brass Rail Gun Shop in Hollywood (where Angela Davis bought the guns used in the Marin County Courthouse shootout) and actually drove around with it in the rear window package shelf of my wife's Pinto!  At the time Toys R Us was selling Mattel toy M16s that were so realistic everyone thought my SP-1 was a toy.
When I left CA in September 1971, it was the best move I've ever made.  -T. Fish

I do miss that Colt.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top