BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2003 3:33:03 AM EDT
Or do you put it off and wait a day or two?

Went to the range and shot my AR yesterday morning and its still setting here behind me and I haven't cleaned it yet.  Probably will get to it later today.  Just wondering how many others don't clean their AR as soon as they return from the range.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Naw, I usualy take 5 or 6 weapons out at a time, and as such don't get around to cleaning them all at once.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Naw, I usualy take 5 or 6 weapons out at a time, and as such don't get around to cleaning them all at once.
View Quote

Ditto

I do clean my C&Rs that use corrosive ammo right away.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope.  First, I hate cleaning guns.  Second, I'm usually squeezing range time in between other activities so when I get home it's off to do something else so they usually get cleaned a couple days later.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a clean freak when it comes to my guns.  So yes, when I get back from the range I clean my M-4 right away.  Same with my HKP7M8 - i guess i'm a freak!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Cleaning guns is sort of my zen thing. i clean them at the range.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I usually clean my guns as soon as I get back home, or at least after dinner that night( I have my priorities straight.....).  I don't particularly like to clean my guns, but if I don't I feel a bit guilty letting them sit in the safe, dirty.  Seeing as my son's CAR has a chrome-moly barrel, it gets cleaned every time it goes to the range to ward off rust.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I clean my guns within a day or two of a range visit.  They don't sit around too long being dirty.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I clean my guns within a day or two of a range visit.  They don't sit around too long being dirty.
View Quote

That's about like me.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#9]
If I don't put 600 rounds throuogh it or better, I just take out the bolt and wipe it down. I shoot to often to clean it after every shoot, if I'm not shooting at least 600 per sesson. Does that make sense???

I do a thorough cleaning after I've shot 600 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Right after having lunch.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for reminding me I have some guns to clean.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]
as soon as i get back from the range
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Anything that isn't .22lr gets cleaned as soon as I get home from the range.  I treat cleaning my rifles and pistols as part of the range trip, not a separate task.  If I have a couple to clean, the .22lr stuff will get a patch down the bore of Hoppes, a dry one to clean it, and then may site for a day or two.  

I figure cleaning your rifle is like changing the oil in your car- you can get away w/o doing it, but the odds will catch up to you eventually.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#14]
You usually find me hand polishing all the internals, giving them an Miltec-1 treatment, and then laying down a light coat of CLP.

Everything has to slide so nice.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to clean them ASAP when I first got into shooting again.

Once I started shooting a lot of different rifles, and going to the range very frequently, cleaning all the time lost it's fun.

I let the chrome lined rifles sit for weeks now, sometimes even two or three range trips, between cleanings.

The non-chrome lined barrels, well I *try* to clean them within a week of the range trip, when I have an evening with nothing planned and I feel like it.

Way I see it, as long as you dont put them up for years dirty, it aint no thing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Even a quick basic cleaning is better than leaving weapons dirty for long periods of time, and using TW25B, all they usually need is a wipedown.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I clean at the range. It seems go faster with the gun warm. Plus the gun is good to go or ready to store at all times.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I usually break down the M16A1 (and all uppers I have shot that day) and spray all with CLP.  The parts & barrels are left  in plastic trays until the next day.  Then they clean up like a teflon frying pan.  -T. Fish
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#19]
i clean my mausers as soon as i get home (corrosive ammo).  my AR and AK have chrome lined barrels so they sit up to a few days until i clean them.  if i'm planning a range trip within a few days i don't clean them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#20]
You are suppose to clean your guns???? [:\]

When I get home I usually put everything else away and then clean all my guns.  Then I take a shower and then eat.  If I don't clean them right away, I won't get around to it for a while.  If I know that I am going out again in less than 1 week, I'll just give them a wipe down and then clean them after the next shoot.  But anything that is going to sit longer than 1 week gets a full cleaning right away.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#21]
The sun don't set on dirty firearms in this house.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#22]
what do YOU guys do when you clean the barrel? do you push the CLP-soaked brush through a couple of times, then put a couple CLP-lubed patches through, then some clean patches untill they come out clean; then run one last CLP-lubed patch through after that?  this is what the cleaning kit said to do, but it's not an AR-specific kit.  just wondering
Ryan
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually clean them as soon as I get back from the range.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#24]
If I use my tactical rifles (M4gery & Rem Tactical bolt) I cleaned them right away.  Also goes with my pistols, but if I use my AK...shoot! I think it's still dirty from the last time I used it, 1 month ago...I am now going to clean it after posting this.....thanks for reminding me [lifter]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I was brought up with the notion that the trip to the range or the days hunt was not over till your rifle was cleaned. So I normaly clean my rifle as soon as I get in the house. Some times I do wait till the next day though. More so with hunting if I score late in the evening and am whipped by the time I get home.
My house is very gun friendly. I have let black powder rifles sit over night and not had any problems. Things just don't rust in this dry house.

As for how I clean my bores. I am not sold on CLP yet. At least not FP-10. I still use a solvent first and a brush. I let it set wet for a bit while I put other stuff away. Then use patchs on a jag. Then I finish with FP-10 and then a DRY patch. I dry patch till nothing is on the patch. I don't keep my bore wet. FP-10 seams to work for cleaning the bolt and carrier but does not impress me as a bore cleaner. I am more impressed with a bore seasoned with Miltec-1. Have not done my AR yet though.

Oh if I get bored I clean guns that are already clean.
My house gets very dusty so they always need a dusting if they sit any length of time.
My saying is "Where there is dust, There is no Rust!"
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I clean mine at the range if it's not too crowded....which is all the time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]
ASAP !
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I currently have two guns sitting in the closet right now, uncleaned from their last range trip. Generally, I'll give them a boresnake and a wipedown after a range trip unless I'm expecting to shoot them again soon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally got to it and finished a few minutes ago.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree with whats been said that the shooting trip includes cleaning the guns when I get home..something irks me about leaving my thousand dollar rifles sitting there with carbon and other crap in them.  I clean as soon as I get home, right after I eat.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I try to clean them that day or the next at the latest. My defensive weapons I clean the same day. I wouldn't want the person I shoot breaking into my house to get an infection from a dirty bullet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I wipe down the bolt carrier after every trip, wipe out the upper receiver with a dry cloth,  and re-CLP the works. I might run a patch or two down the bore with CLP and leave it wet. I am a firm believer in the "wet suspension" method. Every 1000 rounds or so I will do a detail cleaning. If your guns do not run dirty then something is not right.

Bob

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I clean mine as soon as I get back home.....

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I only take one gun to the range at a time, and clean it when I get home.  As has been noted, it is a part of the trip to the range.

I also keep a notebook in my range case, with information on the ammo used, range conditions,
and my shooting observations for the day.

The AR15 is a joy to clean. Strip the bolt, wipe it down with CLP and reassemble.  Run a bore brush through the barrel, followed by an oiled patch.  Clean the chamber with a chamber brush.

Don't let it be a chore.  It's simple, and takes 10 minutes.

A rifle like the AR15 is a piece of safety gear. Don't neglect it's maintenance.  You might need it desperately five minutes from now.  Or less.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Everyday they get fired, they get cleaned before I go to bed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I usually clean my AR15 with in 24 hours. My 1911 usually gets cleaned as soon as I get home from the range so it is ready to protect the home at bed time. A dirty gun can drive me nuts if its not cleaned ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Used to clean them right after getting back from the range.  The only thing I do now is run an oiled boresnake down the tube and wipe off the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#38]
yoyo,

say bud, what i always do is clean my guns at the range as soon as i am finished shooting that is what works out best for me ,even if i am shooting several weapons because when you are done your done and you just go home if you dont sometimes it can lead to rust and other problems.

vinnie.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I resolved from the beginning to clean right after use, or as soon as I can. Naturally, I have had occasion to miss a time or two, but I hate that feeling. It's a habit like anything else. This is particularly significant, as I am a hopeless slob in every other aspect of my life from housekeeping, to car clutter to desktop disarray.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I spray mine out with a hose periodically. I do scrub the bore every 500 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:26:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes, I have to.  The public range is right near the ocean that produces infinite amounts of salt spray.  I live only 5 minutes from it so I can instead spend commute time as cleaning time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I clean my guns when they quit working or when they are so dirty that my hands get dirty from handling them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:42:48 AM EDT
[#43]
I always clean what I shoot at the range before heading home. .22lr gets a few wet patches, dry, and light oil patch but everything else gets a more thorough going-over.

Easier and less messy to me to do my cleaning at the range.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I seem to remember some guy with a bushmaster M4A3 carbine that wrote an article in the Maryland AR15 shooters site.  
I believe he went 1 year, and about 7000 rounds without 'cleaning' his weapon.  His range trips were frequent and used up to 500 to 600 rounds each.
The only maintenance he used during this time was to squirt CLP on the bolt.  The rifle was foul smelling, and there was crud to be found around the action, but at the end of the test, he claimed to have fired a 1" 10 shot 100 yard group, if I remember correctly.

I guess I kind of took that to heart.  I look at barrel cleaning as optional for my AR's with chrome barrels.  I have 1 20" A2 which wasn't cleaned, or even fired, for about 7 months, and went through about 100 rounds recently without a hitch.  The barrel looks great, too.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Everyday they get fired, they get cleaned before I go to bed.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't clean mine all that often. I live in a arid region and don't have to worry about rust.
I do clean them when I have time or am bored.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't clean them all the time.  I ussually clean them about every 1 or 2 months.  i ussually shoot at least once a week.  my AR is perfect everytime.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#48]
I procrastinate.

I spend atleast 3 hours cleaning my rifle.

Is that how much time you guys spend?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I procrastinate.

I spend atleast 3 hours cleaning my rifle.

Is that how much time you guys spend?
View Quote

Usually takes me about a half hour to an hour.  Thats seperating the upper and lower and taking apart the carrier and bolt and cleaning it and also inside the upper and barrel.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
For now, I'm fortunate enough to have a schedule that allows me to shoot three times a week. To keep everything clean, my wife and I have friday night cleaning parties. We rent a bunch of movies, sit down at the coffee table and clean away. I do the AR's and Bolt guns, she does the pistols. Works out pretty well. Nothin like fresh popcorn and Hoppes 9.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top