Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 10:16:33 PM EDT
Alright I have a new AR.  Ive put 20 rounds of wolf and 80 rounds of American Eagle through it with no problem.  Initially I loaded my 20 rounder with wolf, removed the firing pin and hand cycled the bullets by racking the charging handle.  They all feed and ejected with no problem.  I just bought some Winchester (IMI) 55gr. and tried the same rack procedure.  It would only hand cycle them for about 3 rounds then somehow the bolt would not go forward.  The cartridge would not feed all the way into the chamber.  I have not fired it with this ammo yet but will tommorrow.  Should it probably cycle fine while actually firing?  Is it not common for all the rounds to dry cycle?  I know that it is not always common for handguns to dry cycle.  Any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
HUMMM......The wolf and the Ae is .233 and the IMI is 5.56 i dont think the out side specs are different just the load data(i may be wrong)Your not riding the handle are you?.....Didnt think so...If you are rack it like you mean it!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]
funny thing is when my friend racked it, it would jam.  Then I would rack the hell out of it and it would do fine.  As soon as I let up even slightly it would jam.  Im thinking it has to do with the fact that it's suppose to be live fire and ejected.  Not cycled by hand.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Roger.....even a little .223 will push harder than you
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
removed the firing pin and hand cycled the bullets by racking the charging handle.  
View Quote

That's not a real good idea.  Without the firing pin in place, the cam pin could rotate and jam into the slot it travels in in the upper receiver.  Or, the cam pin could turn just enough to scar up the channel in the upper.  If it jams, you might think it got jammed into the buffer tube.

mm
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
STOP THAT!

The firing pin centers the cam pin in the carrier.  Without it the cam pin can move outward and jam the rifle by entering the camming cavity on the left side of the receiver or bind elsewhere.  That's your problem.

Dont' tell us you were dry cycling live ammo through your rifle in your living room or something.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#6]
okay Im not going to do that again! you live and learn eh?  I just learned
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top