Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 11:18:30 AM EDT
OK, here's the scenario -- I have a Sendra XM15 registered receiver M16 lower and a Bushmaster M203.  I'd like to build this up into something special.  Budget is not a huge issue but I'd like to stay reasonable.  Here is what I am looking for:

-- Choice of upper, leaning towards BM M-4 14.5"
-- Choice of rail system
-- M203 mounting options
-- Optics, maybe a holosight
-- Tactical sling
-- Anything else.

I'd like to see what you think is a good way to go here.  I'd like to get the best SHTF stand-by weapon possible.

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Here ya go. Get yourself a Gemtech M496D can with the QD Bi-locks. And Eotech 552, GG&G flip up MAD rear sight,a KAC RAS and GG&G grip that holds the batteries for the Eotech. Oh, slap a Streamlight M3 and your all set! I love my setup! Oh, edited to add that I have this setup on a 11.5 upper and 14.5, so I can switch the can back and forth. Also forgot to add the GG&G single point sling backplate and Wilderness single point sling. Uh, I guess thats it. I'd grab the 14.5 for SHTF, the 11.5 is just for pure fun. Get a couple of different uppers so you can change them out when you get the urge to dump mags!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=9652[/img]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a hot looking setup.  Question though:  with the M4-96D on it, I don't think I could use the M203 -- the rounds I have are XM1822, buckshot, flechette or 12 gauge adapted -- I think I'd be risking striking the outside of the can with those.  How does the bi-lock work?  Can I take off the M4-96D when it's hot to shoot the 203?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The single point slings from Wilderness are fantastic.  Get the GG&G sling point that goes in between the receiver and butt stock and the single point sling, and it's so sweet to handle.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Phil -

I'm not big on short barrels, but the Israeli set-up like in the pic would be great with the 203.  I sold off my commando upper a while ago, but after seeing that, I may buy another and hang a modified masterkey off it in lieu of a 203.

Other than that, I'd say go with the usual M4A3 upper with ACOG and a couple Betas.  I think the 203 limits your options as far as a rail system, but the KAC RIS/RAS will probably work.

[img]www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/car15/2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem with the short upper and the M203 is I then have to get a commando M203 barrel.  Also, .223 velocity out of the 10.5" barrel is not great.  I'd probably prefer the true M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]
You need one more thing buddy. 40mm Grenades. Perfect for varmit hunting.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Phil -
after seeing that, I may buy another and hang a modified masterkey off it in lieu of a 203.
View Quote

Oh? Do tell. I thought masterkeys etc. were too long for the carbines. what mods would you be talking about?

Phil: sorry to stray off topic, but c'mon man...
A RR M-16 with a legitimate 203? I think you have "special" covered.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:46:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Pulpsmack -

Thats what I meant by "modified".  I don't have the ability myself, but I'm sure there are plenty of decent smiths out there that can take a masterkey and chop it down to fit; I was thinking of something along the lines of a Serbu Super Shorty under an 11.5 upper.  Certainly you'd lose a lot of capacity, but even with only a 2-3rds of 12ga. I would still find it more useful, practical, and desirable than a 37mm launcher.  Wouldn't be quite as cool as a 203, but it would be a nice compromise for those of us that don't want to shell out a lot more for a 203.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]
A KAC Masterkey will work with a 14.5", appears too long for shorter though.

The IDF has gotten away from their garage chop 10"-ish barrels, they found them to be too unreliable. You will still see high ranking brass carrying them on occasion for show, but the shooters have all gone 11.5"+.

i know the M203 will work with a RAS, RASII, and i've seen it with a SIR M, but never handled it.

If anyone comes across a good place to get the real deal Masterkey for a decent price, let me know. Impact is advertising something like $1800.

Sexy rig there, az_larry!

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh yeah, to answer the question:

i'd definitely go BM M4 upper.

Depending how ambitious about mounting, either a RAS or a FF RAS. i don't favor the real estate the SIR and the RASII take up.

i'd go Masterkey over M203. Not likely i'd ever come across anything worthwhile to shoot in or with a 40mm, but a pair of 12ga slugs will take the hinges off a door nicely! Besides, EVERYBODY has a M203. How droll.

Definitely EOTech 552 or Aimpoint M2

While i still use 3-points, i've been favoring the Wilderness Single point for CQB stuff and the IDF sling for general all around use lately.

Gotta have a Surefire on there. Target ID is a must.
Finally, find some nice NVG if you still have money burning a hole.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a Bushmaster 1/7 twist M4 barrel and Bushmaster flat top upper

KAC RAS 2 (free float and works with M203

PRI Fat Boy gas tube

KAC 2 stage semi 1 stage full auto trigger

Either a KAC flash hider with quick detatch can or Gemtech Bilock with quick detatch can.  Both allow the silencer to be removed or added to the flash hider in just a couple seconds.  The KAC unit stands up to more full auto however it costs 40% more.

Either an Aimpoint M2 on the bridge of the RAS 2 in an ARMS 22M68 mount or Trijicon TA31 (dot sight and scope in one) in an ARMS 19S mount

ARMS 40 rear sight

Magpul M93 stock

DPMS ambi selector and Norgon ambi mag catch

PRI charging handle (a must with your suppressor)

AAC rate reducing buffer to slow cyclic rate

Samco G27 grip

CQB solutions SOP sling using Knights mounts

OK that should about do it and you will have the most decked out, bad ass M4/203 available.  Just reasearch each item listed if you dont know what it is and you will be more than happy with that set up.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#12]
When I got my M16 I went the small and light route:

- Colt RO933 upper (flattop, 11.5" bbl)
- Colt M4 handguards
- RRA ribbed telestock
- KAC 300M rear flipup
- EOtech 551 (shorter than the 552 so I can mount it further foward on the flattop)
- KAC M4 single point sling mount and Wilderness sling
- Battlegrip (love the feel)

I did not go with an RAS because of the weight.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12063[/img]

Just get everything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I can honestly say I hope this last picture was a joke. Looks like an '84 yugo with $15,000 of after market parts installed. Not that an AR is a Yugo, but let's be realistic here. In anything but a glass case you could find your way back to the door by following the parts that had fallen off. Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Come on medic, its never a good idea to be the new guy on the block and call a guys rifle a yugo. For all you know that could be a 12,000 dollar M16 with 15,000 bucks worth of gear on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I think he is entitled to his opinion whether he is new or not.  I happen to agree that it is a high drag high gadget factor looking unit. Great for showing off how much money you can put into something, but never a weapon that could be carried into harms way.

That my opinion, obviously other will vary.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm just saying, to each his own. The new guy thing was a joke, sorry if it came out wrong.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:46:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok, that's enough thread hijacking, take it outside.  :)

Why would I want an RASII vs a regular RAS if I'm using a 203?  Does the free float work in that circumstance?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#19]
It has an integral mount for the Aimpoint in the cantilevered position.  If you had two optics (Aimpoint and ACOG) on ARMS quick detatch throw lever mounts you could swap very quickly between the two.  Also if you end up getting night vision in the future its free floated away from the barrel and M203 on the RAS2.  Also it reduces weight on the barrel and just the M203 is hanging there (not a big deal though since you have that beast under the barrel already)  It really depends on what you want to use for optics.  If you go strictly ACOG and dont use an IR laser there is really no practical benefit to the RAS2 vs the regular RAS.  ARMS keeps saying they will have an M203 mount that will FF the barrel with the SIR but I have yet to see it materialize.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top