Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 1:45:26 AM EDT
First of all, I should be kicking myself for my premature elation over that which has not happened, but this was one of my thoughts/suggestions that might assist the cause and those who will utilize its benefits.
Assuming the AWB does sunset without similar unconstitutional legislation to take its place I envision the following problems:

#1. The gun-grabbing assholes that skew every snippet of info into disinfo will have a field day post September 14 with information about sales. A future quote from the Brady Bunch: "As soon as the 1994 AW ban expired, a surge in sales of these killing machines resulted, funneling thousands of these dangerous instruments into the streets, where they are destined to fall into the hands of children and potential DC snipers alike. FACT: without a ban in place the streets will be filled with these weapons: as evidenced by the recent sales trends which are through the roof."

#2. After speaking with a certain manufacturing company, I learned that their policy (and doubtlessly many others') is not to count their chickens before they hatch. As a result, NO pre-sales will be handled at this time and no increase in production of certain "pre-ban" components is likely to occur. The result will be a massive demand on a limited supply, prompting price increases and unheard of waiting periods.

My proposed solution for discussion:

If you have a post ban that you intend to legally convert after the sunset, it might be prudent to order the collapsible stock and/or upper, etc. now. This will help distribute the supply a bit more evenly and consequently will keep prices a bit lower.

If you want a complete rifle then consider buying the parts now. Take the time on the eve of this joyous occasion to gain a bit of knowledge and respect for the weapon by assembling it yourself. While you are waiting, you can piece together the lower at your leisure, and then maybe move on to the upper receiver. The advantage to this is that you will have what you want immediately, and while your fellow AR enthusiasts are gleefully dialing in orders (which will be fulfilled 4 weeks later at a higher cost) you can bring your new NO-BAN to the range on that fateful day. Additionally, this soon-to-be rifle will not aid the gun-grabbers as a statistic for their nefarious motives. Hell, it will work against them.

CRITICAL DISCLAIMERS THAT SIMPLY NEED TO BE ADDRESSED:

a) IF YOU SUBSCRIBE TO EITHER IDEA YOU MUST NOT ASSEMBLE A LOWER RECEIVER MANUFACTURED BETWEEN (roughly) 1994 and 2004 TO "PRE-BAN" COMPONENTS (UPPERS, BARRELS, STOCKS, ETC.) UNTIL AFTER THE SUNSET!!! Doing this is manufacturing an illegal assault weapon (savor the irony) and could land you some SERIOUS prison time (and make us all look like shit).

b) Merely POSSESSING these components (without a pre-1994 lower receiver) MIGHT be construed as "intent". While conviction for this is very debatable if not completely unlikely, arrests and lengthy trials are not. Do this at your own risk and be smart about it. (It’s not illegal to my knowledge, however. Legal experts put in your .02)

c) Purchasing this stuff before the sunset is a gamble in another way. If the ban does not sunset or is replaced by similar legislation, you just bought 3 new uppers for your pre-ban, or 3 useless uppers until you get a pre-ban. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT ON SEPT. 15 THIS IS A 100% DONE DEAL. Be aware of that.

What are your opinions, additions, and ideas about this?

Edited for 4AM misssssspellings.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top