Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2003 12:02:38 PM EDT
Anyone starting checking in to this yet? Is this feasible? Would it be better than the .50 Beowolf or .458 SOCOM?

The obvious advantage I see is having the Ammo manufacturers behind it. We will get a lot more load development and selection.

The round sounds like a real winner.

Greg
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont count on it, rimmed cartridges are not the best for autoloaders.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Now I know I'm prone to memory lapses, but I could have sworn that the picture I saw of the round had a rebated rim.

If not, then you're right about using it in an autoloader.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont know why it would be rimmed. I know .50 AE is, but this is a revolver round. I guess we wait and see.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I know Corbon is "behind" it but who else?  Hell, Corbon supposebly was behind the 458 SOCOM and they are just now taking it seriously enough to guarantee stock...

I'll take a custom upper from TeppoJutsu or Tromix in 458 SOCOM.

[:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Rimmed, about .025 bigger than the case

Edited to add this...
[url]http://www.cor-bon.com/500casedraw.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The 500 S&W is indeed a [b]rimmed[/b] round, meant for a new S&W revolver.  It is -gasp- essentially a rimmed version of the 50 Beowulf (it hurt saying that [banghead] )  Not sure how close exactly the dimensions are but they look "prit-near the same".

The [b]rimless[/b] (and rebated) round you saw was likely the aforementioned .50 Beowulf

As to making rimmed cartridges work in the AR, the biggest challenge is finding a magazine that works.  The only man I know that took on this challenge and won was Tony Rumore of Tromix, at one time he built uppers in .44 Magnum.  He has since discontinued those.

In a nutshell - an upper in .500 S&W in unlikely.  Especially with 3 rounds out there that are ballistically within the same ball park.

Marty
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
i would like to see this in  a lever action rifle
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing you might want to consider before you run out and buy a 500 S&W Magnum. The cost for loaded ammo is right around $3 per round!

I was looking at a couple of the corbon loads today (440 gr SWC and 300 grain Barnes, 36/12 and 38/12 respectively), it's a huge round, but at that price, not one that will see much action.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One thing you might want to consider before you run out and buy a 500 S&W Magnum. The cost for loaded ammo is right around $3 per round!

I was looking at a couple of the corbon loads today (440 gr SWC and 300 grain Barnes, 36/12 and 38/12 respectively), it's a huge round, but at that price, not one that will see much action.

View Quote

Im sure it can be reloaded for under 75 cents a round
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Can't you clowns just be satisfied with .458 SOCOM and other large, expensive rounds you would never actually use for defensive purposes? Is .223 THAT LAME out of an AR-15? Good grief, get yourself some friggin Match King rounds or something! [whacko]

j/k [;)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can't you clowns just be satisfied with .458 SOCOM and other large, expensive rounds you would never actually use for defensive purposes? Is .223 THAT LAME out of an AR-15? Good grief, get yourself some friggin Match King rounds or something! [whacko]

j/k [;)]
View Quote
I just want the matching Lever Action carbine for when i buy the .500 mag pistol
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not approach from the other direction?  You can get revolvers in .45-70, and lever actions in that caliber are easy to find - there's your "matching pair".

Me, I want a lever action in .440 CorBon (it has the same rim size and bore size as the 44 Magnum ....) To match up with a Dessert Eagle (not a typo, I think of them as Dessert ...)

M
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why not approach from the other direction?  You can get revolvers in .45-70, and lever actions in that caliber are easy to find - there's your "matching pair".M
View Quote

I wasnt aware of 45-70 revolvers.  Who makes them?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Magnum Research makes one.....there is another one name escapes me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not approach from the other direction?  You can get revolvers in .45-70, and lever actions in that caliber are easy to find - there's your "matching pair".M
View Quote

I wasnt aware of 45-70 revolvers.  Who makes them?
View Quote

How about the BFR and a Marlin lever action in .450 Marlin... that would be a nice match.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top