Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 4:46:58 PM EDT
Hello folks.

Are there any companies that offer 20 inch, 1/7 twist barrel in a HBAR configuration? I'm trying to setup a chrome lined SPR with heavy barrel and it seems no one does it.

Of course, ABC preferred.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, you can usually find a little-used Colt in the EE pretty reasonably.

Why do you want a chrome bore on what is generally considered a precision rifle?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Because I'm too lazy to take care for non chromed ones [:D]

Seriously, I hear AR10A4s achieving good accuracy with chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Because I'm too lazy to take care for non chromed ones [:D]

Seriously, I hear AR10A4s achieving good accuracy with chrome lined barrel.
View Quote

I can understand the laziness [;)].  Chrome bores can shoot pretty well, but I have not seen many shoot [i]really[/i] well.

Did you see this [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=165050]one?[/url]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt mamufactures (or did) the 1/7 H BAR in both chrome and non-chrome versions. I think that it depends on the mfg. date, since the newer ones don't seem to be chromed. I have a non-chromed version and a good friend has a chrome-bored one with a lower ser. no. Both barrels are identically marked, so that doesn't help. They both came from MT6601 A2 versions. A visual inspection will tell you in a NY minute if it's chromed, if you know what to look for!

A famous and sucessful AR highpower shooter once remarked in his book that accurate chrome-lined barrels are only accurate in spite of the fact that they're chromed, not ever because of it!

A lot of the answer depends on what the particular shooter accepts as accurate. The tactical rifle community could never accept a sniper rifle with a chrome bore until FN realeased their SPR (Special Police Rifle), using barrels made on the same line as their 7.62 MG!

They developed an industrial process (at great expense) that is secret at this time, that allows them to be able to deposit the layer of industrial hard chrome that lines their barrel to an unbefore-known tolerance. The inability to hold these very fine tolerances is what killed the chrome bore in the past.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you really think a chrome lined HBAR will be more accurate than a Govt profile barrel?  
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
No sir. [:D]

But gov't barrel will look strange with a 10x scope.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont understand.  A govt profile barrel is thinner under the handguards and heavier out front.  It is still capable of Sub MOA accuracy while weighing MUCH less.  The thin portion is under the handguards where noone will see it.

If you went with a govt profile barrel you would save lots of $ going with a 1/7 twist milspec Bushmaster barrel over a Colt 1/7 HBAR and youd have a rifle of equal accuracy and much less weight.  Just some food for thought.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
That is absolutely right and I'm trying to get a 1/7 20" Bushy chromed lined A4 upper as well.

(edit - that is, for my AR15 with TA31, not 10x scope. I think I will drop 10x altogether.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Jeez, you're right! I've never seen or heard of a 1/7 twist Bushy barrel in any configuration, or am I missing something? No flame - just asking.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Every so often Bushmaster makes a run of 1:7 twist barrels in A2 or M4 profile.  Its not a commonly advertised thing, you have to call & ask.  Generally they are leftovers from Govt contracts (some of the agencies specify 1:7 twist barrels).
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are still looking  - I got a 20" hbar, chrome lined, 1/7 twist from e-gunparts.com (used to be Numrich).  It came without a front sight tower or barrel nut, but did come with barrel extension.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top