[#1]
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/StealthyBlagga/CAV15_1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Where ya at Dissipators?

Bradd
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]
My looks just like Stealthy's above.  Green Cav lower and post-dissi.  I have an Aimpoint 5000 2X on it too.  Just don't have a digital camera to post pics.

In fact I am meeting my brother in an hour at the range...
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the gas tube on a Dissipator run to the base of the front sight like on a 20" barrel?  I had heard that it didn't.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does the gas tube on a Dissipator run to the base of the front sight like on a 20" barrel?  I had heard that it didn't.
View Quote

It has a carbine length gas tube.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:33:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there any difference in a heavy barrel versus a dissipator barrel?  Is the latter larger in diameter?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 4:41:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe a Dissipator uses a standard 16" heavy barrel, although they are now being offered with a fluted barrel. I think you can order one with a 16" M-4 barrel as well.

Here's a pic of mine. A-2 configuration. A-1 butt stock, triangular handguards, Hogue grip, ambi-safety.

[img]http://www.picturefuse.com/images/0103/13990.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]mcantu[/b]...the Dissipator uses the standard 16" carbine gas block.  The front sight is not connected to the gas system in any way.

[b]luopo[/b]...the Dissipator comes standard with the same heavy barrel used on the 16" HBAR carbine.  It can be had, though, with a fluted or M-4 profile barrel.

I can tell you that this configuration makes a huge difference in heat dissipation.  My Dissy doesn't get near as hot as my HBAR carbine did.

Bradd
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two.  The first is a complete BM built unit.  

The second is currently just a box of parts.  The barrel is a standard 20" that KKF cut down, enlarged the gas port and turned down to lighted the weight.  I am just waiting for the time to putt it all together.  I am undecided if I should use standard A2 handguards or an ArmaLite fiber FF tube.

OSA
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Just got this one back from Kurts Kustom...It now has a KKF A3 muzzle brake and lightweight barrel on it

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwCvBMQY5*pq9cpmlvXLRNKlaRi42DcURd5O0xinkh6nLAcIQTsPUndAgfMLnb6TewBtSIjR3GeKK2noPsEs03eoMHhzlwCkeeQsclilKBTiyd33jjiUOKLGuKItGi*U/MVC-009S.JPG?dc=4675362702696741263[/img]
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
   I'm drooling on my keyboard!!

i just ordered my first lower and i plan on building a dissipator using i think a bushmaster upper, i'm still on the fence though, but defiantely not about the dissipator barrel!!  

all of these rigs are awesome guys!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
USMC03, that looks like a '74 brake, do you have a better pic?

I am looking for a picture of a dissipator with a '74 brake on it, can anyone help?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Mbsk01,

Sorry I don't have a better pic...I had Kurt at Kurt's Kustom Firearms remove the AK brake and replace it with one of his A3 style brakes and also turn the barrel down to the lightweight profile....

The AK brake is a great muzzle brake...a little loud, but not noticable when wearing hearing protection...It can't be beat when it comes to reduction in muzzle flip...

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Not mine, but...

[img]http://valdada.com/vn/ior/03/tac2.jpg[/img]

Bradd
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know why they dont just use a cut down 20" barrel with the full length gas tube and maybe just resize the gas port if necessary?  Wouldn't this add some velocity to the round?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey AR-10, that Dissy of yours is almost identical to one I just assembled.  Sorry that I post a pic, but I am pc illiterate.  I used a post ban M4 Dissy barrel, an old A1 upper, and A1 stock and handguards.  Did you have to trim the heatshields in the handguards to get them to fit?
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#17]
kj,

Yes, I had to snip and flatten the heat shields just a little around the gas port.

Wish I could handle your rifle, as I have been thinking about an M-4 barrel. Mine has a heavy barrel and the name fits. I keep the butt stock loaded with stuff, which helps to balance the rifle, but also makes it heavier.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I had posted earlier that I was going to go to the range with my brother, which I did.  Several items to note:

1-He has a preban Colt Car15 (pencil barrel), and after two mags in about 30 minutes that thing was HOT!

2-The CAV lower and dissipator upper do not marry well.  The Cav is soooo light and the dissipator is really heavy.  The combo is really off-balance and hard to shoot from the standing position for very long.  If anyone in the DFW area is interested in trading my Dissi (no b,c,c) for their 16 inch A2 or A3 email me at [email protected].  I am also interested in turning this into a pocket precision if you have a super heavy 16, 18, or 20" flat top.  

3-Someone had posted a Wolf inquiry on this board last week.  I returned that I have never had one problem with Wolf in .223, 9mm, .45, or 7.62x39.  Well that changed this weekend.  I couldn't keep my AR running and my brother had the same problem.  Between us we had about 15 or so magazines, 20 and 30 round, a variety of manufacturers with green and black followers, new and used, LEO and preban.  It was absolutley an huge suck-fest.  On one occasion the slug actually separated inside the upper, spilling the gunpower everywhere.  Like I said the guns were hot and this could have led to a ambulance ride.  One huge miserable shoot and I promise I won't use Wolf again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 6:04:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I gots mine

Hogue free floated front end makes for an accurate rifle if I do my part.
I wished and wished I woulda gone flat topped, but the thing hits what I point it at.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#20]
[b]bcw107[/b]...have you thought about sending your upper to Kurt at Kurt's Kustom and having the barrel turned down to a gov't profile?

Bradd
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I have not given any real serious thought to doing that.  With the prices of post ban uppers running in the $300 range I can't really see paying for a turn down or fluting.  I do highly prefer dissi's to the regular configuration when it comes to sight radius.  This is primarily why I have never purchased an LEO A3 setup like most of the guys I work with.  However, like I said, I have an Aimpoint 5000 on this rifle so irons are just a redundant sight.

I would like to know what he charges for a fluting job, maybe it's worth it.  If you know please post.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm a Dissy wanna-be.  It's number one on my "what to get next" list.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Why do Dissipators use a carbine length gas block instead of just "cutting down" a 20" with the full lenght gas block? What are the pro's - con's of using the carbine gas block vs. having a gunsmith cut down a 20"?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Me too... I'm a wanna be. I'm looking at the M4 profile to save on weight. It would be nice with a FF tube and a KKF brake on it.

Anybody know what FF tubes will fit on a Dissy?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why do Dissipators use a carbine length gas block instead of just "cutting down" a 20" with the full lenght gas block? What are the pro's - con's of using the carbine gas block vs. having a gunsmith cut down a 20"?
View Quote

In order to get the right combination of pressure and dwell time, the gas port needs to be around 10" from the muzzle. The Dissipator has the gas port in the right place for a 16" bbl, but hides it underneath the handguards.

BTW - has anyone converted a 16" hbar to a dissipator? Wondering how much work it'd be to cut down the front sight base and install another out front.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm looking at the M4 profile to save on weight. It would be nice with a FF tube and a KKF brake on it.

Anybody know what FF tubes will fit on a Dissy?
View Quote

I would highly recommend the the M4 profile...because of the extra gas block on the Dissipator it makes the barrel feel quite heavy...The M4 profile feels awesome on the Dissipator....

As far as freefloat tube, I would pass on this option on the Dissipator...I know that the Bushmaster freefloat tube won't fit the Dissipator....You'll have to get a freefloat tube that is fairly big due to the gas block under the handguards, the one made by JP Enterprises comes to mind....Hope this helps...

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#27]
[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=M4Madness&album_id=70796&image_id=11&show=image¶m=11158[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#28]
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/danger-close/chuck1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/danger-close/chuck2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Ahh, the best of both worlds in one picture- an AR15 and beaver.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Bradd- just to let you know I posted on Kurts Kustom board on this site.  I didn't realize it was so inexpensive to have my barrel turned down or fluted- he quoted $55 for the Light Weight "Konversion" and $75 to flute.
I will likely have this done in the next few months.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm currently building a dissy with a DPMS side charging upper and a government profile barrel cut down to "16. It will have a freefloat tube and a CAV ARMS lower.  It ought to be ugly as sin, but light and handy.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:41:01 AM EDT
[#32]
bcw07,

uhh... I don't know where you growed up at, but that's no beaver.

That's what's known as a woodchuck or ground hog.

Beavers have large flat tails.

Now if you were refering to _another_ type of beaver, well... err... those go nice with everything!

Jody S.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#33]
NoFace- Texas and have left it once for the army 10 years ago.  I can't say I've ever seen a beaver (the crawling, tree-eating kind)in Texas, though I am sure there are some (the crawling, tree-eating kind).  Looks like a beaver (the crawling, tree-eating kind) or a big ass rat, but I guess I need to start reading my son's Ranger Rick to get caught up on beaver (the crawling, tree-eating kind).  
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Once a Texan was visiting family in another state. A deer runs across the road, the Texan says "What was that!?" His brother-in-law (BIL) replies "A deer." "Well, they're so much bigger in Texas, that I didn't recognize what it was."

A few miles later, they see a steer that's escaped a farmer's fence. "What was that?" "A steer". "Awww in Texas they're so much bigger - I didn't realize what it was."

Moments later, they see a turtle in the road. Once again the Texan says "What's that?" His Brother-in-Law, tiring of the silly Texan's game replies "A tick."

Edited to say "I'm talking about you bwc07!" For some reason Texans never get this joke, even though everyone else does.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep, that's no beaver (of either kind ;) ).  It's just an ugly old woodchuck - groundhog to some.  Took him last summer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#36]
USMC03-You are mistaken. I have a BM Dissipator SPR-A clone with the 1st Gen PRI free float tube, someone else on the board has one also. The KKF Konversion can have ANY free float tube installed and is lighter that the BM style system, although more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a Colt 20" that I cut to 16".
I did not open the gas port, just cut and re-threaded.
It works fine.
I got the idea from an article in the old SWAT magazine
by Chuck Taylor.
Dissipator is a term that was coined by Bushmaster many
years later.
But it makes sense to call it that.
To me it is the best trade-off whan you have one with a
collapseable stock.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
USMC03-You are mistaken. I have a BM Dissipator SPR-A clone with the 1st Gen PRI free float tube, someone else on the board has one also. The KKF Konversion can have ANY free float tube installed and is lighter that the BM style system, although more expensive.
View Quote

I was going to put a freefloat tube on a Bushmaster a couple years ago...I called Bushmaster and was putting a few add ons on the rifle and was told by the techs at Bushmaster that their freefloat tube and the Hogue freefloat tube that they sold wouldn't fit the Dissipator because there wasn't enough clearence on the gas block....I was told that I would have to get a freefloat tube with more clearence....Just passing along info provided to me via Bushmaster....

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Soon very soon I will be building mine. I am still thinking HB left alone or Flutted? Free foat like a regular DCM  instead of a round handguard tube. Or just leave it alone with the ACE Stock added on.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top