today while getting groceries and noticed
an article about Century's 'new' AR-15s for
under $700.

Apparently they consist of a DPMS lower rec,
genuine surplus Colt M16A2 uppers that the
wizards at Century somehow uncovered in
Hounduras,Guatamala,(or some South American
Country-can't remember) with the bayo lug filed
off, used GI bolt carriers,bolts,cam pins,gas rings, etc,used A1 handguards,pistol grip and buttstock
and a Bushy MiniYcomp looking break
with 3 ports at the bottom that blow dirt into
the shooters face while firing prone.

Anybody seen/picked one of these Fraken-rifles up?

p.s. I love my Bushmasters and am not about
to take a step down in quality anytime soon.
Just curious.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#1]
"someone" who is a member of this website is selling the same configured rifle to AR15.com members.
Hmmmm.....
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Whats the problem? It sounds like century is using quality parts. They probably work just fine.

Building an AR15 isn't rocket science. Any moron that can properly use a torque wrench can do it and make it work just fine.

AR15 problems usually come when someone tries to scimp on the parts or cuts the barrel too short for the gas system to work properly.

Both of my Century FALs have always been totally reliable and accurate. FAL assembly is substantially more complicated than AR15 assembly but its not rocket science either.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've handled one on the range.  Lots of rust & dirt in the front sight area.  So much so that the front sight had to be removed and the area cleaned out before the front sight could go low enough to zero.

It functioned fine for the few rounds I fired it.  IIRC the guy fired plenty more that day.

Nothing I'd depend on for my life - but for a cheap plinker its OK.  Century certainly doesn't have the best rep for its rebuilt rifles - seems to be hit or miss with them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Have'nt handled or fired one so there's
no problem. Just Curious as to the condition
of the parts of the weapon. Forest, your response
was geared towards what I was looking for.

Particularily surplus parts:
Things like clogged/damaged gas tubes/blocks,
improper headspacing,damaged locking lugs,chipped
or cracked bolts/extractors,pitted/shot out barrels.Condtion of the uppers,rust?Things of that nature.

Not knocking Century For I have a Century US parts assembled/imported Maadi MISR AKM and
after about 10,000 rounds keeps on flinging brass and hitting targets just fine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"someone" who is a member of this website is selling the same configured rifle to AR15.com members.
Hmmmm.....
View Quote

Perhaps I'm that "someone"? The rifles I'm selling at [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=146839[/url] are made from Colt complete upper assemblies that were found in Missouri, a long way from Honduras. They are under $600 because, simply, I got a deal that allowed me to do it for that price.

I think the description in my original post makes it clear that these are not the "same configured" rifles that Century is selling.

Edited for typo.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
these are Colt rifles assembled on DPMS cast recievers. i believe these are the same type Colt kits that Tapco had last year for $250. guys were buying them up, making them legally compliant and throwing them together on cheapie lowers and ending up with decent rifles for $400 or less. i dont know why Century isnt assembling them on theyre own lowers. believe it or not the Century marked lowers are TOP NOTCH. ive used many of them. if i covered the left side of the mag well with tape i defy anyone to tell the difference between it and a RockRiver. they probably got a volume buy on the DPMS cast which makes them cheaper than their own forged lowers. i think they're charging too much. i bet they have nice WIDE profit margins on that rifle.

if you read between the lines youll notice that all the crappy rifles that ruined Century's reputation have one thing in common....Hesse recievers. the FALs and early CETMEs especially. their AR recievers are made by Continental Machine just like the big boys lowers. hence no problems
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Lexington...Do you do trades, for stuff other than AR's????? Next question, do you still have some???? I was going to build an A1, but that's pretty good price you got there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lexington...Do you do trades, for stuff other than AR's????? Next question, do you still have some???? I was going to build an A1, but that's pretty good price you got there.
View Quote

Yes, I'll trade for most things of value: pistols, revolvers, AR-15 parts and accessories, AR-10 parts and accessories, AK rifles, decent magazines...etc. Drop me an email message and tell me what you have in mind.

I still have a couple of these A1 rifles in stock. Thanks for the inquiry.

Chris
Lexington Arms and Supply, Inc.
Longmont, Colorado
(303) 684-8352
[email protected]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top