Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2002 12:08:52 PM EDT
I've been looking at a NIB, never been fired, pre-ban Colt AR-15 model R6530 (blue label, serial number SL008XXX).

This particular rifle has already had a new Colt M4 collapsible stock added with the original full stock bagged and tagged.  I have a couple of questions on it though, they are as follows:

01.) I think the rifle would look naked without a bayonet lug.  Not that I'd ever use it to stick anything.  It's a pre-ban rifle and I think it ought to look like one - that's all.

I've spoken to the folks over at the Fulton Armory and they said that they can put on a forged USGI front sight base with the bayolug.  They also recommended that I bag and tag the original in order to maintain value.

My questions:

- Would any of you perform such a mod to a new pre-ban rifle?
- Would Colt perform this modification?
- What type of bayonet would I have to buy to fit the existing 16" barrel?

02.) The front pivot pin double-ended screw seems as though it would be a terrible pain to have to disassemble each time I wanted to separate the upper and lower.  I'd prefer to clean the chamber and bore with them separated.

The folks at the Fulton Armory have an aftermarket push-pin solution for the existing pivot pin and said to bag and tag the original screw.  That aside, I also understand that Colt was doing some drilling at the factory to allow for a captive pivot pin like that used for the rear takedown pin.

My questions:

- What actually gets drilled in order to accept a captive push-pin?
- If not, can you recommend an AR smith who can/will?
- Or should I just go for the aftermarket pin from FA?

03.) Regarding sear blocks and fire control pins.  I know that the R6530 is blocked.  I am unsure of the use of non-milspec pins on this model.

My questions:

- Since the sear block simply prevents one from performing any fully automatic modifications (which is illegal to do anyway) why are they frowned upon so by the community?
- Will the sear block negatively affect value?
- How can I tell if the pins are milspec or not?
- Will non-milspec pins negatively affect value?
- Is there any way around this issue?

The Colt brand is important to me.  The fact that it is new is important to me.  The fact that it is pre-ban is important to me.  I do intend to fire the rifle - it's a tool, I plan to use it whilst maintaining it as a collectors item.  With these points in mind:

- What would be a fair price for this rifle?
- Would you recommend a different model Colt and for what reasons?
- Anything else I'm missing?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any of your valued input - it is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been looking at a NIB, never been fired, pre-ban Colt AR-15 model R6530 (blue label, serial number SL008XXX).

This particular rifle has already had a new Colt M4 collapsible stock added with the original full stock bagged and tagged.  I have a couple of questions on it though, they are as follows:

01.) I think the rifle would look naked without a bayonet lug.  Not that I'd ever use it to stick anything.  It's a pre-ban rifle and I think it ought to look like one - that's all.

I've spoken to the folks over at the Fulton Armory and they said that they can put on a forged USGI front sight base with the bayolug.  They also recommended that I bag and tag the original in order to maintain value.

My questions:

View Quote

Of course not, what would be the point?  Flash hiders and collapsing stocks, I want.  I have no use for bayo lugs.

02.) The front pivot pin double-ended screw seems as though it would be a terrible pain to have to disassemble each time I wanted to separate the upper and lower.  I'd prefer to clean the chamber and bore with them separated.

The folks at the Fulton Armory have an aftermarket push-pin solution for the existing pivot pin and said to bag and tag the original screw.  That aside, I also understand that Colt was doing some drilling at the factory to allow for a captive pivot pin like that used for the rear takedown pin.

My questions:

- What actually gets drilled in order to accept a captive push-pin?
View Quote

You drill the lower receiver, to accept a spring and detent, so you can use a standard pivot pin.  This only applies to raised fence lowers.

View Quote

Absolutely.

View Quote

I dunno.  Never heard of them doing it.  I would learn how it is done, and do it myself.

- If not, can you recommend an AR smith who can/will?
- Or should I just go for the aftermarket pin from FA?
View Quote

The aftermarket pins just use a springloaded ball to keep the pivot pin in.  Cheap, easy, effective.  Not entirely mil-spec.  If you dont want to spend the time and money on the correct pivot pin, this is a viable alternative.  Of course, I would get it from someone other than FA.... but that is just because I dont like them.  [:(!]

03.) Regarding sear blocks and fire control pins.  I know that the R6530 is blocked.  I am unsure of the use of non-milspec pins on this model.

My questions:

- Since the sear block simply prevents one from performing any fully automatic modifications (which is illegal to do anyway) why are they frowned upon so by the community?
View Quote

That's an easy one.  There is no law requiring these blocks.  This is Colt's bullsh*t politically correct crap they have been spewing forth since they have been making rifles for the civilian market.  Just like their non-milspec fire control parts.  They should follow the law, like everyone else, and stop trying to protect everyone from themselves.

- Will the sear block negatively affect value?
View Quote

Nope.  Are you buying stricly as an investment or are you going to shoot the thing?

- How can I tell if the pins are milspec or not?
View Quote

If your blue label lower has a small front pivot pin, then it will have oversize fire control pins and parts.

- Will non-milspec pins negatively affect value?
View Quote

Sigh.

- Is there any way around this issue?
View Quote

Shoot it.

The Colt brand is important to me.  The fact that it is new is important to me.  The fact that it is pre-ban is important to me.  I do intend to fire the rifle - it's a tool, I plan to use it whilst maintaining it as a collectors item.  With these points in mind:

- What would be a fair price for this rifle?
View Quote

$1500 - $1800 on the market today.

- Would you recommend a different model Colt and for what reasons?
View Quote

You haven't posted anything about what you want in a rifle, other than you want a colt, to shot, and to invest.  That being said, I dont see how we could recommend any difference between models.

If it's a good deal... get it.  Shoot it.  Love it.  Deal with the Colt specific issues.  Fix what you can, accept the rest.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Get over it.........either shoot it or collect it............make up your mind.

I mean if you gonna collect it.........don't make ANY modifications............period.

So, don't even think about drilling the hole for the frt piviot.

Now if you want to shoot it and have a good time, then go ahead and make all the mods you like, don't look back.

THIS IS NOT MENT AS A FLAME!

I got lots of pre bans w/ boxes and without and I used to fret over these kinds of issues.......but, now I either shoot um or sell um off......and collet (premium) $$$ for the NIB /like NIB stuff.  

Collectors don't want NO MODS AT ALL, (AND THE BOX), PERIOD.  In order to collect the premium price.

BTW........just removing a CAR STOCK and breaking the factory steak will be frowned upon by some picky collectors.  

So, you make up your mind, what and where you want to go with this HOBBY???
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I dunno much about collecting, honestly I dont.

But I'm buying my first TWO ARs after the first of the year (or last week of december).

They are both going to have 14.5 inch barrels.  One will be post ban with a muzzle break (bringing to 16") and one will be pre ban with a flash hider (bringing to 16").

I fear that the assault weapon ban will not sunset.  I also fear that a minimum barrel length clause will be added to a new and improved assault weapons ban (I'm guessing a 20" minimum).

I'm guessing some anti gun folks read these boards and are making lists of what they think are "loopholes".  They're going to try and get rid of "loopholes" in the next ban.

So from an investment, collection point of view, I'm buying guns and assembling them completely with 14.5"+ barrels.

I'm considering buying a colt preban lower receiver, and if I do, it will be drilled or whatever needs to be done with it to accept an M4 upper.

You have to look at it from an investment point of view.  What's the historical value of say a 1993 colt AR-15 with a 20" barrel?

Nothing.  It wasn't used in combat.  It's just another gun in a series of guns.

What if there is a new ban and that ban says you cant modify your lower receiver in any way shape or form after a certain date?  Then any receivers modified and documented prior to that date will be more valuable.

This is just my opinion, but it's the logical conclusion.

You can see the popularity on these boards of the M4, or M4gery.  My guess, is that the M4gery is what will become a collectors item should a new assault weapons ban take effect.

E (Qiii)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top