Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2002 6:31:54 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the Russian collimator red dot military sight.Model EKP-8-14 "KOBRA" with a  Weaver mount for the ar-15 flattop Weaver rail systems ? This model has a 1.8 MOA dot, four different electronic reticles and a  16 level brightness adjustment.It is matte black and looks half way decent. I am thinking about purchasing one for my Colt pre-ban ar-15 flattop.Comments/opinions???   Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The guys on the FALFILES like them. There is a member over there selling a couple differnent models with pics of them on FALs.
SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one on order. Doug Ford (Tantal) is the man on these. Go to Tantal web page.If you can't find it , it's list as a sponcer over at AK 47.net.His website gives a small history and all the functions .To my understanding it doesn't work like a scope and make the target larger.It places a red dot on the target.But what you gain is being able to keep both eyes open and therefore able to see whats moving and or going on around you with better vision.You should beable to inguage more targets in a shorter time.I don't nor have ever fired one of these.Thats just the feed back Ive gathered.I ordered the Gen 2 .Its on its way the Tantal but had to pass customs. War Dawg
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine broke the power switch by dropping it 2 feet onto grass.  It does not cowitness.  The blue tint on the glass makes it very hard to see at night.  It has poor ergonomics.  The turrets are hard to adjust and dont track worth a damn.  The sunshade is always mangled into a non round shape. Its not waterproof only weather proof so if you drop it in a puddle say goodbye to your Kobra.

That said it holds zero, withstands recoil and the dot is sufficiently small for precise shots during the day (not night).  Its a very basic dot sight for a very basic price.  You will get what you pay for and nothing else.  If you accept that you will be pleased.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two, one on a VEPR .308 and the other on an Izhmash .223. Not exactly an Aimpoint, but not bad, either. Best thing IMHO is that they take readily available AA batteries.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#5]
ive got one on my AK, i love it, was also thinking about one for my AR when i finish building it but it wont cowitness (so ive heard) and i guess some people dont think its good enough for the accuracy of an AR
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked one up from Tantal a while back for my AK-103 clone. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but I think I will like it just fine. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two.
They DO cowitness!
They are inexpensive and rugged as hell. The only drawback is they are hard to zero, but Tantal's websight explaines it pretty well.

Go for it. A 1.8 MOA dot that holds zero for <$150? You can't beat it!

Tony
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Its no Aimpoint. Then again it doesn't cost what an Aimpoint costs either.

I have one on my AK for authenticity. It works well enough, and once zero'd holds it fairly well. The choice of reticles is cool, and a dime in the battery compartment will help keep it lit during rapid fire.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Will not cowitness on a flat top or on an A2 carry handle standard mount, sits too damn high.  WILL cowitness on an A2 gooseneck forward mount.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one on the AK I had prior to buying my Bushmaster.  I really liked it.  Made close-in shooting VERY fast and accurate.  100 yard shots were easy as pie with the dot.

I'd buy one for an AK, but for an AR I'd go Aimpoint.

bc
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top