Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2002 11:41:10 PM EDT
How many rounds can a bolt assembly take before it needs to be replaced.  Do the individual parts of teh assembly wear differently?  

How long can barrel/chamber last?
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
About 10,000 to 13,000 is about it.  I have one M16 that has 60,000 rounds on it and has worn out quite a bit of stuff.

I had one barrel that I had run a little over 10,000 rounds and it still shot 1" groups at 100 yards.  I never checked it on paper again until it had about 13,000 on it, and at that point the bullets were tumbling.  The headspace continued to lengthen and at about 10,000 it would have case head seperations if the ammo was sized to minimum dimensions.  The most notable wear on the bolt is on the face itself where pits appeared around the perimeter of the primer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
No pits on the bolt face, but I did have an extractor failure after 10,000 rounds.  Carrier does look a little worn, but no worse for wear.  The carrier key does have some flat spots on it, but it still looks pretty solid.

Everything else seems ok, but I am changing the upper.  I'm doing some major upgrades to my rifle, so I figured I would part the upper and dump the barrel.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top