Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2019 9:51:20 AM EDT
I've had a remington sds tactical 308 with the 20" barrel for a year now. Mounted a vertex razor on it and shot sub groups with 165 and 169s. The hogue stock didnt fit me well, got a McMillan a5 stock with the adjustable rest, aluminum pillars installed, and a grayboe m5 bottom plate. It all mounted perfect and fit snug, took it back out, I'm around 3" to 4" groups. I've tried a few torque specs of 45in lbs, 55, and 65in lbs.  This didnt help. Took  it to a local gunsmith to check it out. He tried a different scope, did shave a bit off the bolt channel because it wasnt locking completely, and shot about the same groups. He can glass bed it, but he said it should still have shot better and doesnt think itll help much. Any thoughts on this other than calling mcmillan? I know the hogue stock hugged the barrel more and was torqued pretty hard from the factory where the a5 stock does not. But I can't think of anything else it may be other than that. Any thoughts?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The test would be to reinstall the factory stock and see if your groups improve.

If I had to wager I’d say you didn’t seat the recoil lug when you installed the stock and the action is slightly moving.

Worst case is there is a flaw in the stock and McMillian will replace it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#2]
To go from MOA to 4-5MOA is a huge deal. Hard to believe that happens without something like a sloppy messed up scope. Like you should be hearing something going clunk,clunk. clunk.

Yeah, I would throw it back into the old stock to see what happens.

Did you change anything else at the time? different scope or mounts? different lot of ammo? did it get dropped on the crown?

Something is funky big time
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By esa17:
The test would be to reinstall the factory stock and see if your groups improve.

If I had to wager I’d say you didn’t seat the recoil lug when you installed the stock and the action is slightly moving.

Worst case is there is a flaw in the stock and McMillian will replace it.
View Quote
Yea I may give them a call, I will take it back apart once I pick it up and check everything over again including that recoil lug

Originally Posted By nhsport:
To go from MOA to 4-5MOA is a huge deal. Hard to believe that happens without something like a sloppy messed up scope. Like you should be hearing something going clunk,clunk. clunk.

Yeah, I would throw it back into the old stock to see what happens.

Did you change anything else at the time? different scope or mounts? different lot of ammo? did it get dropped on the crown?

Something is funky big time
View Quote
Not dropped, barrel and bolt have minimal wear as well. I've probably only put 200 rounds through it, and 60 after the stock. We tested another scope to rule that out as well with the same issues. Honestly I havent heard any noises either suppressed not unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried a barrel pressure point under the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
Have you tried a barrel pressure point under the barrel?
View Quote
I'm going to check the recoil lug and the gunsmith recommended trying that using business cards or wax paper. If that tightens it up I'll definitely be looking it up with some glass bedding
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You might need to skim bed the action / recoil lug in the new stock.  Does the old stock have anything that looks like hot glue around the recoil lug?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top