Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2020 9:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dupemaster]
Ok, so I’m no smith...

I’m trying to remove the stock scope base from my savage axis II. I can’t get the eye reliefs I need with the factory configuration.

The Allen screws are stuck.

I did note that they were slightly deformed from the factory as if the were over tightened, so I was prepared to fight with them.

This is the rear that I have not touched.

You can see the raised edges where the metro was just starting to give.

Here is the front after stripping both screws.

I tried to turn one and it instantly stripped, so I applied some heat to the next one thinking there may be some lock tight to contend with. Stripped the second one.

I stopped here as to not fuck up all 4 of them.

Any suggestions? I’ll be heading to the hardware store to see what I can find to help.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Use torx (star) bits or metric that is slightly larger and pound them in with a hammer. The shock of pounding them in to fit and the snugness of it will get them out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SScot:
Use torx (star) bits or metric that is slightly larger and pound them in with a hammer. The shock of pounding them in to fit and the snugness of it will get them out.
View Quote

^This

How much heat did you put on, and with what?
The best way is typically to put the tip of a soldering iron or soldering gun on the head of the screw and let it sit there. If they used liberal amounts of locktite it may take quite a bit of heat to break the bond.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 98Redline:

^This

The best way is typically to put the tip of a soldering iron or soldering gun on the head of the screw and let it sit there. If they used liberal amounts of locktite it may take quite a bit of heat to break the bond.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SScot:

^This

I first tried putting a junk hex key in the screw then hating it to cherry red, letting it heat through, then turning with a good one. Then I used direct heat with a small kitchen torch.

Nether helped.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Heat generally does the trick and I would try it once again with vigor.

If all else fails, you may try a carbide drill bit to drill them out.  A drill press would be the best way to go, but with a sharp eye and a steady hand, you could get it.

If you do the above and mess up the threads, drill to the next size screw and re-tap the holes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:37:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Casmirblue633] [#5]
If heat doesn't work

Impact driver with impact bits.

The kind you hit a hammer.  Learned to use taking apart Browning A5 Shotguns.
Klein 70220
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
This is close to last resort but I have had success with it. Use a cutoff wheel the cut the mount away leaving the screw heads. Heat the screws and wax the threads.  Using a GOOD set of vise grips turn them out. Put a little duct tape down to avoid scratches to the receiver. Some times just removing the mount  and thus the clamping forces allows you to EASILY turn them out.

S
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Casmirblue633:
If heat doesn't work

Klein 70220
View Quote

I do have one somewhere I’ll have to dig out. Not sure why I didn’t think of that...
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, thanks guys, a little love from the impact with an over sized torx did the trick like butter.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Good deal! Glad you got it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brickeyee] [#10]

^This

View Quote

Heat is your friend.
Use a real heat gun and warm it up.
The smaller diameter screw does not expand as much as the larger diameter hole, and thing come apart.
It someone put higher grad Loctite on the screw the heat softens it greatly.
If it takes a lot of force it probably needs more heat.
Wrap scopes in  a layer of aluminum foil to shield them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 4:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brickeyee] [#11]
Originally Posted By Casmirblue633:
If heat doesn't work

Klein 70220
View Quote

Use more heat.
It expands the hole diameter and the screw, but since the screw started life smaller
than the hole, the hole produces extra clearance when heated.
a soldering iron will be around 700 W, guns can be over 1,000 W.
A heat gun produces 1,000 degree air.

A propane torch, or air acetylene torch.

Heating is not just for melting Loctite, but for enlarging the hole.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
DOn't forget the option of using a drill to buzz the heads of the screws off. then just lift the bases off and unscrew the stumps which should have no torque left on them. I've had to resort to that a time or two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top