Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2022 12:03:35 AM EDT
2nd Hand, but rumor is Lapua is discontinuing 6mm Creedmoor brass production.  I'm surprised by this, since we had years of steady articles and video's about how 6mm Creedmoor is the round that will rule them all and everything will be moving to that round.  I personally never really agreed, as the BBL life was pretty short for my tastes and the bullet is just too small diameter to have terminal performance I want, for ballistics performance increase over 6.5CM that wasn't really there for my interests.  But that was me, I'm not a PRS hot-shot, and was under the impression in that arena, 6mm CM was supposed to be it.   What happened, did it fall out of favor?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It continues to be the niche cartridge that most everyone understood it to be since day one. It was never going to be as popular as 6.5 Creedmoor. If you only view stuff through the PRS lens you don't get the full view of the market. I'd be surprised if it ever had half the 6.5 Creedmoor market. It also didn't seem to supplant 243 like the 6.5 did to 260 which struggled for years. I would love to have actual sales numbers to back up my perception on what I see for sale but I don't know how you'd even get ahold of them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 12:40:03 AM EDT
[#2]
False. They are just suspending production.

More details on Accurate Shooter here: Lapua Production Suspension
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Morpheus:

View Quote

Can you post the image here?  Don't have a login.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The latest data on what cartridges the long range shooting crowd is using is available here.
The competition was the NightForce sponsored Extreme Long Range Steel Challenge, targets are 700-2100 yards from the shooters location.

Looks like the cartridge used the most by the top 10 finishers was the 300 Norma, used by 4 of the top 10.
6.5 PRC was used by the most competitors, 12 of the 103 competitors answering the poll, but no one using it finished in the top 25.
6mm Creedmore was used by 4 shooters, as was the 6.5 Creedmore.

This contest isn't part of the precision rifle series, it's a one-off competition for extreme long range shooting. Surprised by so many people (15) using the 7 SAUM and 6.5 SAUM, and at how well they did with 6 of the 15 in the top 25 finishers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's two (terrible) pics of the 7mm SAUM rifle I built.  Haven't shot it yet.

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Morpheus:

View Quote

we need a screen shot of that chart please
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:42:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#8]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

LOL Funny you choose the 6 Creed out of the whole list. They also list 6.5x47, 7-08 and .260 too. They all must be falling out of flavor. LOL

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/Capstone_Notice-2586142.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
2nd Hand, but rumor is Lapua is discontinuing 6mm Creedmoor brass production.  I'm surprised by this, since we had years of steady articles and video's about how 6mm Creedmoor is the round that will rule them all and everything will be moving to that round.  I personally never really agreed, as the BBL life was pretty short for my tastes and the bullet is just too small diameter to have terminal performance I want, for ballistics performance increase over 6.5CM that wasn't really there for my interests.  But that was me, I'm not a PRS hot-shot, and was under the impression in that arena, 6mm CM was supposed to be it.   What happened, did it fall out of favor?

LOL Funny you choose the 6 Creed out of the whole list. They also list 6.5x47, 7-08 and .260 too. They all must be falling out of flavor. LOL

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19859/Capstone_Notice-2586142.jpg

6 Creed was the one with article after article about how it's going to take over.  With articles like this non-stop:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/6mm-creedmoor-next-thing-in-long-range-shooting/

Those others fell out of favor a long time ago and were always specialty rounds that few actually shoot and were never going anywhere.  (aside from Grendel, but Lapua Grendel brass is a whooollle other thread (Kabooms).   I wont' touch Lapua Grendel Brass.  If I were a Lapua Product Manager, you bet I'd discontinue that one - now that it's popular enough round that random's are making barrels and bolts and gas systems not timed right for their brass to still be safe).
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I assume 6.5 CM is relatively safe then?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]

There are articles on every cartridge. Those magazines and sites have to fill their pages some how. Lots of noise with not much useful content. There are plenty of other places making brass for all of them so why freak out over Lapua? They don't want to make it then take the business elsewhere. Plenty of excellent brass manufacturers out there. People are always screaming "BUY AMERICAN!!" so do it.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/sr-6mm-cm

And if you want 6 Creed brass that is Lapua just buy 6.5 and neck it down. That simple.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

6 Creed was the one with article after article about how it's going to take over.  With articles like this non-stop:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/6mm-creedmoor-next-thing-in-long-range-shooting/

Those others fell out of favor a long time ago and were always specialty rounds that few actually shoot and were never going anywhere.  (aside from Grendel, but Lapua Grendel brass is a whooollle other thread (Kabooms).   I wont' touch Lapua Grendel Brass.  If I were a Lapua Product Manager, you bet I'd discontinue that one - now that it's popular enough round that random's are making barrels and bolts and gas systems not timed right for their brass to still be safe).

There are articles on every cartridge. Those magazines and sites have to fill their pages some how. Lots of noise with not much useful content. There are plenty of other places making brass for all of them so why freak out over Lapua? They don't want to make it then take the business elsewhere. Plenty of excellent brass manufacturers out there. People are always screaming "BUY AMERICAN!!" so do it.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/sr-6mm-cm

And if you want 6 Creed brass that is Lapua just buy 6.5 and neck it down. That simple.

Truth - the few times I find 6mm Creedmoor brass, I just run it through the 6.5CM dies interchangeably and run it as 6.5 CM - never seen a difference, but then, I tend to just run those through the 6.5 CM MDRx, where .5 MOA changes will never be seen if they are even there.  (MDRx and Precision Rifles don't generally belong in the same sentance).   6.5 CM brass is common.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]
(aside from Grendel, but Lapua Grendel brass is a whooollle other thread (Kabooms).   I wont' touch Lapua Grendel Brass.  If I were a Lapua Product Manager, you bet I'd discontinue that one - now that it's popular enough round that random's are making barrels and bolts and gas systems not timed right for their brass to still be safe).
View Quote

"Muh FC is just as gud as Luhpoouh."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top