Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2019 6:48:36 PM EDT
It seems like we're always having to rig stuff together for solutions for carrying all of our gear:

* Sand socks
* Ear pro
* Eye pro
* Tripod
* LRF
* Binos
* Ammo/Mags
* Water
* Sustainment/Inclement Weather gear
* Pillows
* Spotting Scope
* Data book/Rifle Log
* Med kit
* Chow

I'm working on a Long Gunner's Pack that carries all of the above in a relatively small form factor.  I'm about 2/3 of the way finished.

I wanted to reach out for other's input for what they like to see, as I'm sure I've overlooked something and I like to be thorough.

So what do you wish you had in terms of load bearing gear, especially for field matches, LR hunting, Team Safari, and Steel Safari?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Straps to stow a bedroll or shooting mat.

A small pocket or detachable pouch for fixit sticks and/or other tools.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
A small pocket that can hold a variety of batteries..scope/LRF/headlamp....
A padded pocket for the I-pad.....
A small pocket for decent tool kit..
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The ability to shoot better.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, let's see... I'm sure I could come up with some ideas.

• Some kind of lined pocket/container to hold things like sunscreen, oil, bug spray, etc. so when something inevitably leaks it doesn't get all over everything would be sweet.
  • Provision for storing a tripod along the side would be good. Probably not a full scabbard, people run different size tripods. A little pocket on the bottom to hold 2 legs and an adjustable strap along the top maybe.
  • Cinch straps everywhere, I don't like everything shifting around when I walk
  • Detachable cinch-top spent brass bag/pocket on the outside, easily accessible when laying on its back.
  • Integral rain cover
  • Exterior padded kestrel product
  • A bunch of helium balloons to hook to my gamechanger
  • Waterproof back, maybe? So you can lay it on its back and not have it soak up 10 pounds of water
  • Exterior elastic loops for sharpies and extra chamber flags, or maybe just an external zippered admin panel
  • somewhere to hang a water bladdar

I've got an Eberlestock G3 Phantom with a MultiPack strapped to the front;  which is just about perfect. The one thing I don't like is that there's not a good place to put a tripod, so I've left the scabbard on. I slide my tripod in that for long walks, but when I'm just moving short distances it just ends up flopping everywhere with nothing in it, which I don't like. Without the scabbard, I think the pack itself is just about right for 2-day PRS matches.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 6:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#5]
I think a common theme might end up being small pockets for specific common pieces of equipment so that you're not digging through crap in larger compartments.

Maybe padding for the pockets where relevant to protect stuff.   Little paracord loops sewn into the pockets for dummy cords, lots of them.

Aside from carrying stuff, the other thing I use my current pack for on virtually every shooting trip is as a makeshift Wiebad style pillow bag.   Might just be that I'm too cheap to get an actual bag, and put it *in* the pack.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 9:35:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By boltcatch:
I think a common theme might end up being small pockets for specific common pieces of equipment so that you're not digging through crap in larger compartments.

Maybe padding for the pockets where relevant to protect stuff.   Little paracord loops sewn into the pockets for dummy cords, lots of them.

Aside from carrying stuff, the other thing I use my current pack for on virtually every shooting trip is as a makeshift Wiebad style pillow bag.   Might just be that I'm too cheap to get an actual bag, and put it *in* the pack.
View Quote
I definitely like the idea of a few small easily accessible pockets.  My pack has two pockets on the top flap where I keep small items, like my fix it sticks extra chamber flags, stuff like that,  2-4 small pockets would be nice to keep thats misc stuff a little better organized. I guess id really like to have a better way to rig my tripod,  I'm never happy with how it sits
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 9:57:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#7]
Initial Concept Draft

Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The main pack body, bottom compartment, and all pouches are padded and lined with 420D packcloth.

All US components and materials.

Spotting scope pouch is fully padded, and zippers are padded.

Same for the tripod pouch, with heavier padding on the bottom and cap.

YKK #10 for the tripod pouch and bottom ruck compartment entry.

The way I do things, it takes 3 times as long for everything as a baseline.

3 times as long to develop patterns.

3 times as long to cut.

3 times as long to sew, plus some since I double or triple all my binding tape, stress points, boxed Xs, and connections.

I'm 3 weeks into this already.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:46:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice OP, looks like its going to make a very nice pack....
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, that looks really well thought out.  I'm definitely interested.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I made the shoulder straps to go with it.

They integrate with my chest kits.

These are the most ergonomic and comfortable ruck straps I've ever worn.

Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]
i probably don't even want to know what something like this would cost.  You don't have to post, i'd hate to see you catch a lock for selling.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#13]
OST
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
i probably don't even want to know what something like this would cost.  You don't have to post, i'd hate to see you catch a lock for selling.
View Quote
This system was a one-off custom job, including the chest kit, ruck, detachable top flap/aid bag, spotting scope pouch, tripod pouch, hydration systems, and sleep system compression module.

It took me weeks of 12-14hr days.

My friend was very generous to me and made my time worth it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

This system was a one-off custom job, including the chest kit, ruck, detachable top flap/aid bag, spotting scope pouch, tripod pouch, hydration systems, and sleep system compression module.

It took me weeks of 12-14hr days.

My friend was very generous to me and made my time worth it.
View Quote
your work is impeccable, and looks worth every penny paid...I wish I could afford it...maybe someday...
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Late to the initial party, I’d consider a padded place for a camera or spotting scope.
Yeah, most aren’t packing a camera, but some do, and this would also give considerable ability to pack in surveillance gear.
You listed binoculars, but spotting scope /camera placement seems important.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Multi-G:
Late to the initial party, I’d consider a padded place for a camera or spotting scope.
Yeah, most aren’t packing a camera, but some do, and this would also give considerable ability to pack in surveillance gear.
You listed binoculars, but spotting scope /camera placement seems important.
View Quote
All of my pouches are padded and lined with packcloth nylon.  It takes at least 3x the time and materials to make them that way, but it's superior when looking at protecting everything.

I've been doing them that way since I started making my own gear decades ago.

This ruck has a padded spotting scope MOLLE pouch on the other side, which fits the MARPAT Desert-covered Leupold spotting scope.

Link Posted: 12/1/2019 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks interesting, nice pictures!
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Very impressive gear.

I'd love to have the skill and knowledge. My wife definitely has the skill but she's not going devote the time
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Gyroscopic stabilizers
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure if designs/patterns can be patented or not but you could sell the pattern to First Speer, Eberlestock or Tactical Taylor. I’d love to have one in M-81 or ODG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top