Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2020 11:05:38 PM EDT
I've been wanting to get into long range shooting for some time, and while it's still going to be a bit before I have time and money to get after it, I've often thought it'd be nice to have a rangefinder to start developing a sense of perception. I never shoot at known ranges so I honestly can't guesstimate range at all.

I'm also interested in a reasonably compact pair of binos. Can the two functions be combined for a reasonable amount of money with decent results or is it better to have separate units?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't set a budget yet. Wanted to get an idea of what was available before deciding if it is worth it to me to combine the functions. A quick google did show up options at a grand but I wasn't sure if those are any good or if a huge compromise of performance to get a combo unit.

Reasonably accurate out to 600 yards sounds good to me, but again, no real idea if that's realistic or not.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a sig kilo 2400, it does contain a full weather station as well as the AB ballistic app, which may not be right for you, but they do make models without those things.....I have accurately ranged bushes/trees out past 2000 yards, rocks and such past 3000 yards and animals out past 1500 yards...it will do reflective stuff past 3500 yards...I also have a year or two older leupold RX-RF that works ok out to about 500 yards, I use it more for the trophy scale for antlers when judging legal bull moose...I wouldn't trust its accuracy much past 500yards...

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, this is quite helpful!
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I mean, it's not in everyone's budget but I have a set of Vector 21's and they're epic. >12km rangefinding capability (that's as far as I've tested, there's just nothing farther away that's visible on the horizon at all) and the best binocular glass on the planet plus a reticle in the right side and so many features it'd make a tough guy cry. I picked the Vector 21 Aero (top) up for only $8000 which you might think of as expensive until you realize that they are about $17,000 new so used is a goddamned steal. I also picked up a set of Vector 21's with 10x magnifiers (bottom pic) for $8000 a couple years ago. You'll never need anything but those once you have them but every time you pick them up and take them outside your butthole diameter will approach zero as closely as anything that actually exists in the universe ever has.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Well, I mean, it's not in everyone's budget but I have a set of Vector 21's and they're epic. >12km rangefinding capability (that's as far as I've tested, there's just nothing farther away that's visible on the horizon at all) and the best binocular glass on the planet plus a reticle in the right side and so many features it'd make a tough guy cry. I picked the Vector 21 Aero (top) up for only $8000 which you might think of as expensive until you realize that they are about $17,000 new so used is a goddamned steal. I also picked up a set of Vector 21's with 10x magnifiers (bottom pic) for $8000 a couple years ago. You'll never need anything but those once you have them but every time you pick them up and take them outside your butthole diameter will approach zero as closely as anything that actually exists in the universe ever has.

https://ballisticxlr.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/v21a.jpg?w=600

https://ballisticxlr.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/vectronix7.jpg?w=600

View Quote

Yeah, slightly outside my budget. The grand-1200 the Vortex units go for seem like a reasonable deal, though still a little steeper than I'd like. I'll have to keep an eye out for a used pair. Or those Vectors if I find out I'm related to a Nigerian prince.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BUIS:

Yeah, slightly outside my budget. The grand-1200 the Vortex units go for seem like a reasonable deal, though still a little steeper than I'd like. I'll have to keep an eye out for a used pair. Or those Vectors if I find out I'm related to a Nigerian prince.
View Quote

Sig makes a LRF pair of binos that are nice to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top