Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2020 11:05:30 AM EDT
Howdy all...thinking about grabbing a Magpul bipod and I have a couple of questions...

Is it a pretty decent overall bipod?

What are people using for a QD style mount?  I would like the QD capability to be able to swap it easily around on different rifles with 1913 rail sections.

I know there are obviously better bipods out there for hardcore precision shooting, but I'm just looking for good overall quality at a decent price.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It flexes too much for my taste but seemed otherwise fine if you're not planning on beating the hell out of it. I beat the hell out of bipods so Harris and Accutac are my jam but on a hunting rifle or something I'm not putting into competitive use, yeah, it'd be fine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought mine from Larue with the Larue QD mount.  Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but as far as the QD part goes, it is a nice solid mount.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JayJay4735:
I bought mine from Larue with the Larue QD mount.  Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but as far as the QD part goes, it is a nice solid mount.
View Quote

JayJay,

Which LaRue mount did you use? The LT271 and bottom rail?
@JayJay4735
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a cheap qd picatinny riser attach to the rail and other side to the bipod.  Made yourself a QD.  Works good so far.  I would take a picture but we're getting ready to launch a B52 on a test flight.  Still working.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 64tinc:
Buy a cheap qd picatinny riser attach to the rail and other side to the bipod.  Made yourself a QD.  Works good so far.  I would take a picture but we're getting ready to launch a B52 on a test flight.  Still working.
View Quote

"Test flight"
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two on precision ARs- one 5.56 and one in 6.5 CM. Both shoot .65-.70" groups, so I think the Magpul bipod works well enough. It's a better unit than a Harris, although I wouldn't put it head-to-head with an Atlas or the like.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RumbleTruck:

JayJay,

@JayJay4735
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

JayJay,

@JayJay4735

Hey Rumble,

Yes it is th LT271 mount, Larue sells the bipod and mount as a combo, but that is the one they include with the combo deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Hey Rumble,

Yes it is th LT271 mount, Larue sells the bipod and mount as a combo, but that is the one they include with the combo deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

JayJay,

@JayJay4735

Hey Rumble,

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried one on my 6.5 Grendel AR.  I found it was too tall for comfortable bench shooting.  Sold it.  Overall I think they are decent general purpose bipods for lightweight guns but if you want one for precision or long-range work I would look elsewhere.  Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
but if you want one for precision or long-range work I would look elsewhere.  Just my two cents.
View Quote

I use mine for both. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
That wasn't my experience at all, and the Magpul isn't in the same class as Harris or Atlas. I found myself not wanting to load the Magpul because there is so much give in it. I never managed to break it, but I never had any confidence whatsoever in the durabality of the Magpul.... It just felt chintzy. The one thing that it does have over the Harris is all of the positional options of an Atlas. A loaded Kia is not "better" than a base model Camry, it just has more doo-dads.
View Quote

I wouldn't put the Magpul up against an Atlas, but it's as-good-as or better than a Harris, and without the stupid fucking springs. I can load the Magpul more than I can a Harris. Since the price is about the same, the Magpul is the clear winner against a Harris.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one mostly for the price.  It's my only one, so I can't really compare it, but honestly if I were to do it again, I'd probably just go for one of the cheaper no-brand Harris knockoffs, or all the way up to high end.  It seems to fill a middle ground that doesn't need filling.  I have a hard time thinking what it will do that one of the cheap gun store specials won't.  Maybe lighter?  Less snaggy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top