Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2016 10:47:22 AM EDT
Viper HS-T 6-24x50 Riflescope w/ VMR-1 Ret. (MOA, 2nd Focal Plane)

or

Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP Riflescope w/ XLR Ret. (MOA, 1st Focal Plane)

For those that have handled both or shot both let me know which one you liked more. I've never used a FFP optic also.

will be going on a 700 in 308 that will spend its life shooting 25-700 yards
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
ffp
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're shooting some sport where you count X's then SFP. If you need to be able to use your reticle for ranging FFP. Otherwise, honestly it matters as much as nuts on a priest.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:05:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#3]
FFP is more versatile. The SFP will likely have thinner crosshairs at max magnification, so it has benefits for target/bench shooting. FFP, in my experience, shines when using the reticle for hold overs/unders and leading moving targets. The SFP can do this as well, but the reticle's units of measure are only accurate at one power setting. If your SFP reticle is accurate at 15x or 24x, and you're going for a 300yd mover, you're at a disadvantage because your magnification required for an accurate reticle significantly reduced your field of view. And without a decent brake, you wouldn't really be able to spot the impact. With a FFP you can dial down to 8-10 power, maintain an accurate reticle, have a great field of view and enough magnification to make solid hits.  With the field of view increased by the lower power, you can spot your impact/miss to assist with the next shots. A correction factor for the SFP's reticle can account for the changes in either lower/higher magnification from the power that provides an accurate reticle, but it's far slower and would quickly become a headache.

You can range with either SFP or FFP. It does not matter. Once you get to the distance that you really need to start ranging most targets, they are usually far enough away that having to use a scope on higher power would not pose an issue. Regardless,  if I need to range a target, I'll use a LRF.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys,

I would be using it for hunting 25-150 yards, fun distance shooting and 2-5 rifle matches a year. Around here they don't go past 500 yards for matches. I'm thinking of going FFP even though its a little more expensive it does have the XLR reticle which I do like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top