Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2016 4:12:28 PM EDT
I think I get the concept of having a perfectly round grip around the scope but how important is it?  Have people broken scopes or not gotten their full accuracy potential because the mounts were not reamed or lapped?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
buy a high quality ring and do not lap them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
How important lapping your rings is in proportion to how low quality they are.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By taliv:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're the  precision bench rest shooter type chasing that mythical smallest grouping ever, then you might want to put in the extra effort. If not put your optic in a decent ring/mount combo and go shoot it. Also gotta take into the cost of the lapping equipment. Might want to spend the money on ammo.

I might do it just learn a new skill set, but I like tinkering around in the garage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:43:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 77Bronc] [#5]
View Quote

I have Seekins rings on a Seekins base, mounted on a Remington 700 that has been trued by Mark at Short Action Customs, which I consider quality.  I lapped my rings with a Wheeler Engineering kit and I was amazed at the contact surface shining that I found.  

So my answer is yes it is worth it.  I will always lap rings from now on, even on uni mounts like a Larue.

Now if you want to use my kit, drop me an email and I will ship it to you.  Just add my shipping cost in the box when you return it.  It is for a 30mm scope diameter.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bp7178:
How important lapping your rings is in proportion to how low quality they are.
View Quote

I don't think there is a proportion. It is a matter of how well the combination of components come together. As I have said again and again, the best rings and best base don't matter if they are attached to an uneven action. Screw a straight base to an uneven action surface and the base will flex to match the action, now mount rings to the flexed based and they wont be aligned.

Quality rings mounted to a quality base bedded flat to the action most likely wont need lapping.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

I have Seekins rings on a Seekins base, mounted on a Remington 700 that has been trued by Mark at Short Action Customs, which I consider quality.  I lapped my rings with a Wheeler Engineering kit and I was amazed at the contact surface shining that I found.  

So my answer is yes it is worth it.  I will always lap rings from now on, even on uni mounts like a Larue.

Now if you want to use my kit, drop me an email and I will ship it to you.  Just add my shipping cost in the box when you return it.  It is for a 30mm scope diameter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

I appreciate the offer but i bought that stuff ten years ago and don't use it anymore.  I Know what it looks like when you take the finish off but I don't think its doing what you think it's doing. I think you're making it worse not better and there is less engagement with the scope not more. It also depends on what scope you're using. A mm is actually a lot. All 30mm tubes are not the same OD. Get a set of quality tools and measure before you go reducing the amount of contact.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Lapping is not difficult nor is the tooling expensive.  I don't see much reason not to do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top