Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2015 1:20:00 PM EDT
Like many "of a certain age", my eyesight has started to deteriorate and I now need to wear glasses to read and even see clearly at medium to long distances. My glasses have progressive lenses which means the prescription changes from top to bottom of the lenses and depending on how far (or close) I need to see clearly I slightly tilt my head up or down.

I'm about to get my first scoped rifle and it occurs to me that I could shoot it either with or without my corrective lenses. Obviously I'll be wearing eye protection but I can set the focus through the scope such that it is clear and precise to my eye even if I don't have my corrective lenses on.

So how do you shoot? Do you wear your corrective lenses or not? I can see advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. One of the disadvantages of wearing the lenses is ensuring I have the same head tilt behind the rifle each and every time otherwise I'll need to refocus because I'll be looking through a different part of the lenses and the prescription will be different. Or spend time tilting up and down to find the correct lens spot to match the scope focus. Not wearing them means I focus once and am done but once I come up off the gun, I'll have to find my glasses to see what's going on.

Your thoughts and advise would be appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:35:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kyreb] [#1]
I shoot better through scoped guns without glasses.  However, having seen a couple serious gas blow back issues and one or two kabooms, I always wear glasses for the safety aspect alone when shooting anything.

ETA: I have found clear lenses are much better than tinted lenses for me when running a scope.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kyreb:
I shoot better through scoped guns without glasses.  However, having seen a couple serious gas blow back issues and one or two kabooms, I always wear glasses for the safety aspect alone when shooting anything.

ETA: I have found clear lenses are much better than tinted lenses for me when running a scope.
View Quote

ditto
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 2:28:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DakotaFAL] [#3]
I have progressive readers as well, and if shooting a rifle with open or aperture sights I leave them on, looking through the upper left corner of the lens where the correction is about .5 diopters - that's enough to keep the front sight sharp, but not overly blur the target.

When shooting with a scope, I don't use my readers.

I always wear safety glasses.  You need to ensure your readers are ANSI rated if you're wearing them alone, otherwise, shattered glass could make the problem worse in the event you have a cartridge head rupture, etc. .
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:01:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I wear non-progressive bifocals.  My cheekweld places the upper lens between my eye and the eyepiece.  I adjust the eyepiece diopter for that and it works fine, highly repeatable and comfortable.  Try regular bifocals if the progressives are giving you trouble.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can adjust the diopter sufficiently then I'm of the mind that you won't put unnecessary lenses in the system and you don't put inferior lenses into the system if you can avoid it. That's the philosophy of the matter. The reality is different.

When I'm in a PRS match I wear my glasses because I have to be able to read my scope turrets in a hurry and the markings are teeny tiny. That sucks because there's an amazing scope on that gun and my glasses don't help with light transmission. When I plink with that rifle I take my glasses off and enjoy the quality of the lenses in front of me in their pure form. I don't know that it makes an actual difference. In pistol matches I trade my corrective lenses for shooting glasses that offer better protection from hot flying brass. In metallic silhouette matches I still wear my glasses but only because the scope on that rifle has the same quality of lens as my glasses do so it doesn't really hurt anything and makes it easier to walk between shooting positions without squinting like a man trying to unbend a corkscrew by telekinesis or bumping into things like racks full of expensive custom rifles wearing even more expensive scopes.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate wearing glasses when shooting rifles.

I hate wearing contacts when shooting rifles.

I hate wearing glasses more than I hate wearing contacts when shooting rifles so I end up wearing contacts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top