Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2022 1:20:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 20andOUT]
I am putting together a 16” WOA barreled rifle that I plan to shoot at 600-800 on a regular basis.  My first thoughts were to stick with a LPVO and I was looking hard at a razor gen iii 1-10.  But after last weekends trip shooting 5-600 with my accupower 1-8 I am beginning to question going any further with an LPVO.  

I have started leaning toward a 2-10ish FFP but the market seems to be very weak here.  What is available seems light on features.  I looked at Trijicons offering but I didn’t like the lack of parallax, I understand on an LPVO but it seems like an oversight on a 2-10.  Most of the others are SFP.

I even contemplated buying another Mark 5 3.6-18 like I have on my Grendel but 18 power feels like a bit much in a 223.

Can anyone help me with these parameters:

9-12 max magnification
FFP
MOA (I know, but I am set in my ways)
Exposed elevation turrets
<$2000 (I will qualify for mil discounts)

-Mike
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:34:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UnaStamus] [#2]
You’re more looking at an SPR type rifle as opposed to DMR.  SPR is basically a light SASR/precision auto rifle.  DMR is a gun designed for multiple roles of close range and intermediate range.  If you are regularly shooting out to 600-800yds and that is the lion’s share of your shooting, you should be looking at an actual precision riflescope as opposed to an LPVO.  Something in the 3-15x or 3-18x range is ideal.  Many of those offerings are in compact packages designed for running one gas guns.  Leupold Mark5 3.6-18x, Vortex 3-18x and NightForce NX8 2.5-20x are three excellent scopes that fit within your budget but give the best possible performance.  From there you can step down in price to other options, but understand that you’re going to sacrifice optical quality if you do so.  

As far as magnification, it should never have anything to do with the cartridge you are shooting and everything to do with the distances.  If you don’t want 15-18x at 800yds, then I honestly don’t know what to tell ya.  Nobody says you have to shoot a 3-18x power on 18x all the time, but it sure is nice to have that higher magnification when you want it.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I just put a 3-18 Meopta on a SPR AR build and I wish I would have went with a bit for magnification to be honest
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mc556:
I just put a 3-18 Meopta on a SPR AR build and I wish I would have went with a bit for magnification to be honest
View Quote
Which reticle, and what targets and distances did you look at?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I love the 3-15x mag range on my 18" ARs, so I'm all for getting as much magnification as possible.  However, since you seem to want something a little different from the Mark 5, you should check out the Leupold VX-6HD.  It weighs 16.8 oz and has the excellent FireDot illumination.  It only has a Duplex reticle (which isn't my favorite) but it has MOA turrets.  
https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-VX-6HD-2-12x42mm-30mm-CDS-ZL2-Duplex.aspx
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 9:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#6]
Thoroughly impressed by the Arken SH4 Gen 2 4-16 ... their 6-24 variant sucks in the glass department above 18X ... but the 4-16 works really well ...

If you are looking for a lightweight setup ... go for an old school Mark 4 3.5-10x40 M3 with TMR reticle ... heck most 1-8X LPVOs will get you out to 600 without issue...
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Originally Posted By mc556:

MRAD
200-700
I don’t need extra magnification, but I’m used to on other rifles that I shoot at distance.  I believe I put the right combo together  I just like to see my targets as best as possible.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Nightforce 2.5-20x
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:22:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Xram] [#9]
I mentioned this in another thread recently but check out the Athlon Helos BTR 2-12. I put it on a 16” WOA build after trying a few other optics. I overlooked it initially because it is in a lower price bracket than I normally shop, but after reading reviews on SnipersHide I bought one and I really dig it a lot. The glass is not Cronus level but it is closer than I expected, the locking turrets are genuinely excellent, and it has all the features one would want in this kind of scope (FFP, adjustable parallax down to 10 yds, zero stop, donut of death illuminated reticle) with a nice compact form factor and appropriate mag range. The reticle isn’t designed for tiny paper groups with the .3MIL dot, but it’s well suited for practical shooting throughout the whole mag range. Personally I’d save the higher mag precision scopes for other calibers (6ARC and 6.5CM in my case).

ETA yes it’s made in China so if that’s a dealbreaker for you look elsewhere. But it is well made and Athlon stands behind their products.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:58:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RedFox1911] [#10]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Just pick up a Gen II PST 3-15x44. Will do what you need for $550.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-3-15x44-EBR-2D-MOA-FFP-PST-3154.aspx
View Quote

This or a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42

Edit- it is a SFP
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 11:58:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnCarter17] [#11]
I am going to toss this one out there. I am waiting for the next 12% off special

Glx 4-16x50 FFP ACSS Athena BRP MIL

50mm Objective, illuminated, 23.5 oz.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

This or a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42

Edit- it is a SFP
View Quote

I'm actually very curious on how the NXS 2-10 holds up in the current market.  SFP doesn't bother me one bit, and it's a very light optic.  

On the flip side of the SFP 2-10, I've also been looking at the illuminated XTR III from Burris in 3-18.  Heavier scope, but newer design, more useful reticle, much better magnification range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top