Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2020 2:46:07 PM EDT
I have an Older Leupold 4.5-14x40mm tactical vx3 with A/O and target turrets. I can't find a A/O model on their web site anymore. Did they discontinue the A/O models in 4.5/14?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe they’ve been discontinued for awhile now, could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#2]
So no more A/o’s?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it the front or side adjust A/O? They discontinued the 40mm 4.5-14x years ago and made all them all 50mm. I always thought this was one of their best scopes, especially if sent in for M1 or M5 turrets. Post a pic if you can.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
OP I have one of the 4.5-14-50VX-3  leupolds with AO, illuminated, with mildot reticle....I bought it right before they released the mark-4's..it was only on the market for a few months, and after that it was only available as a mark 4...as far as I can tell, the difference between the VX-3 and the mark4's is 1" tube diameter versus 30mm tube...It's a great scope except its SFP and has mil dot reticle with Moa capped turrets..have always planned to send it in and have the turrets changed but never have...

Here is the box tag...

Attachment Attached File

My son borrowed it and its on his hunting rifle right now...

Attachment Attached File

middle rifle...

Attachment Attached File

I have had to send it in for repair a few times over the years, it was a bit of argument the first couple times until I started sending it back in the original box with the tag info...The first time the illumination turret came apart(thats happened twice) and twice for loosing its purge and condensation on the lens..other wise its been a good scope...
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:32:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ICU] [#5]
Attachment Attached File

Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40mm AO, mil-dot ret.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive got the non AO one, (VX-3i, 4.5-14 x 40, CDS, Windplex Side Focus), and im curious what the advantages of the AO are? Just a second focal plane?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sq40:
Ive got the non AO one, (VX-3i, 4.5-14 x 40, CDS, Windplex Side Focus), and im curious what the advantages of the AO are? Just a second focal plane?
View Quote

It gives you an adjustable parallax versus a set by the maker at one distance...
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

It gives you an adjustable parallax versus a set by the maker at one distance...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Makes sense. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 4.5-14X40 I bought around 2006, nice little scope.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Makes sense. Thank you.
View Quote

@sq40

Uhm, your scope has side focus on it? that is an adjustable objective or parallax adjustment...

If you look on the pic I posted earlier up above, on my
VX-3 4.5-14-50 the parallax adjustment is actually done at the front  glass..the adjuster is the objective..

You can see the serrations on the adjuster right behind the "golden band" .......Both accomplish the same thing, to focus the scope at the target distance you choose to shoot at.. it is very important for consistent accuracy...The dioplitor setting on the eyepiece is to focus the reticle to your eye independent of the parallax focus..
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:10:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#11]

@sq40

Uhm, your scope has side focus on it? that is an adjustable objective or parallax adjustment...

VX-3 4.5-14-50 the parallax adjustment is actually done at the front  glass..the adjuster is the objective..

You can see the serrations on the adjuster right behind the "golden band" .......Both accomplish the same thing, to focus the scope at the target distance you choose to shoot at.. it is very important for consistent accuracy...The dioplitor setting on the eyepiece is to focus the reticle to your eye independent of the parallax focus..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Makes sense. Thank you.

@sq40

It’s kind of funny. I’ve been shooting for decades, but never really had scopes.  Irons or holosights.  
In the last few years I’ve started into optics.  First with a Leupold VX2 3-9 CDS on my deer rifle.  A VX Freedom on my 10/22. Next a VX5HD on my 35 Whelen Chassis gun.  

I bought this VX3 for my project .308.  But after buying a Trijicon Accupower for my AR, I think I want to get a Trijicon 6-24 for the .308 (American Action, magpul stock, timney, RPR barrel cut and threaded 16”) and put this Leupold up as a spare.  It’s a great scope, but I want to really try to get better at range.  I think more power will help me group tighter.

Anyways, this is my VX3,

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]

It’s kind of funny. I’ve been shooting for decades, but never really had scopes.  Irons or holosights.  
In the last few years I’ve started into optics.  First with a Leupold VX2 3-9 CDS on my deer rifle.  A VX Freedom on my 10/22. Next a VX5HD on my 35 Whelen Chassis gun.  

I bought this VX3 for my project .308.  But after buying a Trijicon Accupower for my AR, I think I want to get a Trijicon 6-24 for the .308 (American Action, magpul stock, timney, RPR barrel cut and threaded 16”) and put this Leupold up as a spare.  It’s a great scope, but I want to really try to get better at range.  I think more power will help me group tighter.

Anyways, this is my VX3,

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49447/0A47A7B3-8324-47E9-B9E4-DEAE53ABBA78-1632624.jpg
View Quote

Yep, it has parallax adjustment(side focus) which means it is on the side of the turrets rather than being at the front objective...Yeah if you are going to shoot LR you should have a larger scope...although that scope will easily reach past 1000 yards.....Lots of great scope choices now days, just figure out what options matter to you and then make sure that scope has a good history here....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top